Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    First - this app is very cool ... as a longtime BB user I've really missed instant e-mail since I got my Treo, and it's nice to not sit and click "Get" in versamail all day.

However, I'm trying to get a handle on battery life ... I'm checking two accounts (inbox only), and have one set to "online" and the other to "qsync" every 30 minutes. Only pulling 1500 per message and rarely have to d/l the balance. Mail volume is light, a total of 100 messages or so over the course of the day.

Problem is, battery life appears to be just horrific - a full charge at 9am is at 10% by 7pm, with maybe 100 messages in, 10 short messages out, and 30 minutes of talk time.

Am I missing something? I verified with my email provider that they support IDLE, and the app seems to work fine in other respects, but not being able to get a full day out of this is a killer.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dan

Sprint Treo 650
    No, that's sounds about right, unfortunately. I was unable to make it through a work day with Chatter continuously online. It's such a nice feature, but a definite battery drain. I might think again about the extended batteries that folks have mentioned in other forums. But, even with qsync every 180 minutes, I'm still pretty low if my work day is really long.
    There is a cost to being "online", but the cost varies depending on usage (email, other data, and voice), signal strength, number of online folders, etc... I have a Sprint 650 and get about 16 hours on a charge (maybe 200-300 emails but little voice) with 3 online folders, which works fine for my work day. I did, however, get an extra battery, and when I'm going on a trip or I know I have a long day coming, I make sure I take it along. At least this is an OPTION; with the T600, you needed to bring a charger and have an outlet nearby!

To reduce battery life, you can 1) reduce the number of online folders and/or 2) make some folders "QSync" (i.e. timed sync's) and/or 3) "Shutdown ChatterEmail" when you know you don't have reception. Or get a GSM T650 (battery lasts 1.5 - 2x longer).

Marc
    dlubin - Your battery life does sound relatively bad for your usage. If you want, send me a log of a few hours activfity and I can see if anything is "wrong".

Marc
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Marc,

Here's a newbie question ... how does Blackberry do it? The devices are pretty light, the batteries are small, and it seems like I never thought about charging the darn thing ... even the CDMA version carried late last year. Just curious since there are so many other things the BB does poorly by comparison.

Dan
    I'm not sure, but there are an awful lot of efficiencies you can take advantage of if you are talking to a single type of dedicated server.

Marc
    My 6-month old unlocked GSM Treo 600 drains at 10% per hour. 8-10 hours max battery life. Even if I hard reset to clear all apps and leave the radio off I still drain at 10% an hour.
    The device is running 03.06 firmware and Treo600-1.13-AWS software on hardware B.
    Hmm, what am I doing right? :-) I'm usually unplugging from the charger around 5am and I'm like 85%, more or less, at 5pm.

I get few email messages over the course of the day, though. Also, if you're not using KB Lights Off, you really want to check into it.

Tom
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlubin
    Marc,

Here's a newbie question ... how does Blackberry do it? The devices are pretty light, the batteries are small, and it seems like I never thought about charging the darn thing ... even the CDMA version carried late last year. Just curious since there are so many other things the BB does poorly by comparison.

Dan
    I believe that bbery does a push from the server to the device.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    As a Chatter user for 6 + months (vzw 600/sprint 650) battery life on the 650 is impacted by the quality of signal strength and the carrier you use. VZW is notorious for pinging treo's when any data connection is open (even dormant). An active data connection is the equivalent of a voice call, which will drain the battery signficantly. Sprint's network is much better with respect to minimizing network related connectivity (causing active data connections) even when the user is not actively utilizing the treo (ie. pulling down email, surfing the web, 3rd party web app, etc...). The one instance in which battery drain is signficant with Sprint is when network coverage is poor (1 bar or less). I can see you having almost no battery left after using your treo all day without constant connectivity. Each time the Treo has to reconnect, the battery seems to drain. I use my treo 650 all day at work (signal is 3+)with the same approx level of emails and voice useage, and I am never at less than 50% battery reserve by the time I get home.
    tpkidd3 - Sounds like your Treo's battery is bad (whether defective or as a result of being drained to far, too many times). If under warranty, I'd get a replacement. You should be getting 18-20+ hours even running Chatter with a folder or two online.

Marc
    I'm running Chatter Email 1.0.3.1 with one folder on Qsync every 30mins and after 15 - 16 hours, I still have around 70% battery left. Of course, this is when my Treo isn't losing the GPRS connection and constantly trying to reconnect (and getting error code 0x400B) - when this happens, I'm at 45% by the end of the day.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeynut
    I believe that bbery does a push from the server to the device.
    Chatter is the same way. The IMAP server pushes email to Chatter.
    I too am experiencing severe battery drain. I have uninstalled chatter and the drain goes away. This weekend I am going to run some more thorough tests and I'll let you all know what I've discovered about my particular treo
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    jfmcdowell - There are times when a configuration issue causes severe battery drain. If you make me a log, I can make sure there's nothing untoward going on.

Marc
    ok Marc I am going to let the log do it's thing for a while
    I upgraded to your latest stable version. I noticed that I can't turn my treo on right away when pressing a key such as phone or power. Sometime chatter locks up briefly. Battery drain occurs about 30% per hour.
    I have two mailboxes, one for each folder in my imap mail account (I only have two folders that I filter mail to.)

I also want some of that cake in your avatar ;-)
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    30% per hour means something is wrong; I'd say that about 10% an hour as well.

Marc
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    30% per hour means something is wrong; I'd say that about 10% an hour as well.

Marc
    Currently on version 1.0.4rc2

I consistently experience 10% battery loss an hour with two to three signal bars. I have three Online folders and I get 20-50 emails a day.

I originally had five Online folders. I removed two and deleted / re-created all of my mailboxes thinking perhaps they may be wonky. I did both of these fixes at the same time so I'm not sure which helped the most, but my battery performance did improve a bit. I would estimate my battery drain at 15-20% an hour before I made these changes. I'm probably going to change two of my folders to QSync, w/ only one active Online folder.

I'm curious if there's a utility to monitor bandwidth utilization in detail.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    Marc did you get the log file?
    Um, I don't think so.

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast