Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You don't get any SMS messages with cingular's $24.99 unlimited media net plan. It only includes packet data. SMS is extra
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by humanenigma
    As I understood it the difference between the two plans is with the cheaper one your IP address is NAT-ed and the more expensive one gives you a valid IP address on the internet (albiet dynamically assigned).

For those that don't know what NAT means, think of the difference between having a computer directly connected to a DSL/Cable line vs. one behind a typical DSL/Cable router. When behind the router your IP address is translated on the fly to the address assigned to the DSL/Cable connection. This prevents incoming connections from reaching your computer unless you configure the router to forward certain connections.

If I am right about this and the MediaNet is using NAT for the IP address space, then this could limit VPN and certain other functions depending on the requirements of the actual protocols used. However, for the majority of uses (email, web browsing, ftp, etc), this difference should not be noticeable at all.

Anyone else have more information on this?
    That's basically about right. With DataConnect you can do VPN applications, MediaNet is NAT. The speeds are the same. I have MediaNet and tested this directly underneath a Cingular tower (above my apartment complex) and receive upwards of 147kbps (sounds liked EDGE to me) from that very tower. I don't think DataConnect will go much faster than that (if any, at all).

That being said, you can easily switch from MediaNet to DataConnect yourself (and pay the per kb fees) by changing your username from WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM to ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM. You can even check out their "Data Acceleration" (DA) option... which is ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM.. it claims a

"2x or more improvement for all web and email download traffic... the acceleration is accomplished by compressing the HTTP and email content before sending it over the air to the mobile. The content is then de-compressed by the user's internet browser or by the user's operating system. HTTP content is only compressed if the user's browser signals that it can receive compressed content."

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm doubtful that Blazer supports this compressed content, so I don't think we'll see any benefit. Someone, please tell me I'm wrong and I'll pony up the extra $20/mo for DataConnect.

kjohn
    I can confirm that VPN does not function properly with the Media Net $24.95 plan. Quite unfortunate. Now to decide if vpn is worth $15/mo. I may cut over to the $39.95 plan for a month or two, snag the $50 rebate, then switch back if I'm not hooked.
    And I can confirm that at least some VPN's do work with the $24.95 MediaNet plan. I'm using one right now - connected from my Thinkpad to the office via DUN and our SonicWall VPN client. The SonicWall client specifically claims to work from behind NAT connections, and that appears to be true!
    You can even check out their "Data Acceleration" (DA) option... which is ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM.. it claims a
    That's interesting, first I've heard about this
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by chardros
    I can confirm that VPN does not function properly with the Media Net $24.95 plan. Quite unfortunate. Now to decide if vpn is worth $15/mo. I may cut over to the $39.95 plan for a month or two, snag the $50 rebate, then switch back if I'm not hooked.
    Movian VPN works on Media Net and Media Works.
    Cisco VPN works on Media Net and Media Works (on a laptop using DUN or PDaNet through the Treo.)
    Mergic VPN does NOT work on Media Net and Media works.

Movian and Cisco are ISPec VPN. IPSec VPN works over NAT.
    Mergic VPN is PPTP VPN. PPTP VPN will NOT work over NAT.

THis is the ONLY limitation I've found on Media Net and Media Works (same difference,) the fact that it's NAT'ed, which otherwise is of no consequence.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohn
    That being said, you can easily switch from MediaNet to DataConnect yourself (and pay the per kb fees) by changing your username from WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM to ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM. You can even check out their "Data Acceleration" (DA) option... which is [email]ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM[/email
    I don't think this is correct. I've tried several times in the past to do this and I am unable to connect to ISP@ or ISPA@. I read another post some time back that someone actually signed up for data connect in order to use this. Then called back, dropped data connect, and signed up for Media Works.
    He did so to comparison test the two for speed, and as I recall he had to do this in order to use the different settings.

Media Works, Media Net, and PDA connect are WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Data Connect is: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM

Unless I'm wrong, your avility to connect to those settings depends on which package you chose. With that, I guess it's possible to call Cingular and sign up for Media Net, and also have them add data connect pay per use. I'm sure they'd be confused as to why you'd want to do this, but I bet it's possible as long as you got a rep that knows what they're doing.

For example, I have Media Works, and I called and had them add "CSD Data" on to my account so I can use it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    You don't get any SMS messages with cingular's $24.99 unlimited media net plan. It only includes packet data. SMS is extra
    Man. I never realized how much a good deal my sprint plan is. I still have the unlimited $10 plan, but even the current $15 plans are a steal with unlimited data, 100 sms'es, unlimited photos, and $5 towards downloads.
    humanenigma,
    I think you are correct. I have been trying to remote hotsync using a vpn. The initial connection I had was wap, and with that, I could not get a vpn connection. A tech at cingular told me to try switching to isp settings (and the idea that if my plan allowed it, it would work). I did, and it worked. I don't know for sure, but wonder if I could get still get this connection with the medianet plan. If anyone knows this for sure, it'd really help.
    thanks,
    For those with the Cingular $39.99 unlimited data plan, do you get SMS/MMS messages with that as well?

When I got my 650, I was told I needed to get the $39.99 plan and that DID NOT include text messaging. So I have to pay for one of the text messaging plans as well.
    I just got my first Cingular bill (and while there were other problems with it...) and Media Works was there. Yes, it has the price increase but it doesn't appear like I'm being capped / surcharged in anyway. What a horrendous bill though - pages and pages of 0 byte data transactions. I'm thinking they could save a boat load of trees if they just printed a summary line with total data usage!

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by scavynger
    For those with the Cingular $39.99 unlimited data plan, do you get SMS/MMS messages with that as well?

When I got my 650, I was told I needed to get the $39.99 plan and that DID NOT include text messaging. So I have to pay for one of the text messaging plans as well.
    A colleague who is moving from the $39.99 plan to the $24.95 plan informs me that the $39.99 does include SMS. At $0.10/message, the break-even point is obviously 150 msgs/mo, though I believe you can add something like 250/mo for around $5. Unfortunately Cingular's site is down right now or I'd check for you.
    Last edited by jetkins; 03/09/2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by scavynger

No, the $40 plan does not include SMS, neither does the $25 Medie Net plan. Both are data only.
    The "Media Works" is actually a 'package' which includes some data, some SMS, some MMS. This is one reason the old unlimited data $20 Media Works plan was such a bargain and probabally why they changed it.

You'll have to pay per SMS or buy an SMS package (sold separately from the data plan.) MMS is also yet another separate package, but who needs MMS, it sucks on Cingular anyway.

$10 gets you 1000 (incoming and outgoing are charged.)
    https://www.cingular.com/media/text_messaging_purchase
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    As it turns out, if you need isp connection, you can add that for 3.99 a month. I added that to medianet unlimited in order to be able to get around the NAT problem. This was the only way (so far!) that I've been able to establish a vpn.

NOW, can somebody help me with the remote hotsync with my desktop in my office over vpn? I've done everything, as best I can tell, that the mergic site recommends for remote hotsync, but no success yet.
    thanks!
    Sorry, that 3.99 a month add on is called "data access csd"
    CSD is "Circuit Switched Data". That won't be high-speed GPRS/EDGE. Not too useful...

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    I just got my first Cingular bill (and while there were other problems with it...) and Media Works was there. Yes, it has the price increase but it doesn't appear like I'm being capped / surcharged in anyway. What a horrendous bill though - pages and pages of 0 byte data transactions. I'm thinking they could save a boat load of trees if they just printed a summary line with total data usage!

Dunc
    this is interesting.... i'm keeping an eye on my cingular bill because they seem to be tracking my media usage now, though i ordered the $19.95 unlimited mediaworks before february even came around:

Minutes Summary
    Usage Type
    Data
    Available
    Used

just patiently biding my time until i get an actual bill, but you can bet i'll make a fuss if they charge me for overage. after all, i've been downloading all my new software through the treo since i don't have access to the net on my PC.

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Aethyric,

I've seen that for a couple months now, too. The "Available" figure sometimes jumps up to 5xxx. No problem with overage charges, however (I have same plan you do). They always have been able to "track" data usage; this is just a part of their post-merger website facelift.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I've seen that for a couple months now, too. The "Available" figure sometimes jumps up to 5xxx. No problem with overage charges, however (I have same plan you do). They always have been able to "track" data usage; this is just a part of their post-merger website facelift.
    interesting, that. holds off my anticipatory anxiety a bit, though. thanks for the info - much appreciated!

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    I'm afraid the MediaNet party is about over for Treo 650 owners, folks! In fact, Cingular clearly does not intend to sell MediaNet packages for the Treo. How do I know this?

I finally got a Cingular storeperson to share with me an internal Cingular factsheet titled "Guide to Data Centric Devices and Applicable Data Rate Plans."

The sheet distinguishes between "Smart Phones" such as the Moto MPX220 and Nokia 6820, and "PDA Devices" such as the Treo 600/650. Smart Phones are eligible for the MEdiaNet and MEdia Works plans, and a note states that "activation of PDAs on these rate plans is prohibited." The rationale given is that "PDAs, with their large screens and powerful processors, are better able to surf the Web, ... As a result, the average data usage on PDAs is far greater than that on handsets/Smartphones."

As if to remove all doubt, there is a note that helpfully adds "...PalmOne [uses] the word "smartphone" in their description of the product, but that does not affect Cingular's classification of the device as a PDA." So basically, those who report that they are using the $24.99 unlimited MEdiaNet plan with their Treo have benefitted from the confusion within Cingular regarding data plans, but I think those days are fast coming to a close!

The applicable "Data Connect" plans are as follows:

$19.99 5 MB
    $29.99 10 MB
    $39.99 20 MB

There is also a "PDA Connect Unlimited" plan for PDAs:

$39.99 unlimited (w/ voice plan)
    $44.99 unlimited (w/o voice plan)

Obviously the PDA Connect Unlimited plan is the way to go, unless your data usage is modest (i.e., less than 10 MB/month). There is another note that states "activation of wireless modems on this [Data Connect] plan is prohibited." So I question whether Cingular will really activate bluetooth DUN anytime soon. For this functionality, they would want you to buy the $80 unlimited Data Connect plan for laptops!

I think there is a common misconception is that when you buy an "unlimited" plan, you are buying unlimited bandwidth. This is not really true, however--you are buying the right to unlimited use of your particular device. Some may cry that this is "unfair," but different devices consume vastly different bandwidth; hence, $25 for smartphones, $40 for PDAs, and $80 for laptops reflects the probable bandwidth "appetite" of the respective devices. This is clearly very pricey, but is it "unfair"? I don't think so. Of course, this does run counter to the widespread entitlement mentality amongst internet users that expects, even demands, to get something for nothing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast