Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Is anyone else bothered by the fact that P1 is charging top dollar for their cradle kit for a top dollar smartphone (that should have had a cradle included) and then not have an audio output? The T5 one has this feature and the manual that came with my 650 cradle (ironically the T5 cradle manual) shows this feature! Was this to taunt me? I guess I could modify it, but for $50 should I have too?
    I have been a longtime supporter of palm/handspring and been though a IIIxe, IIIC, M505, TT2, Treo 180, 600 and now a 650. I also own an ique 3600. I think palm should consider that there are those of us willing to support them with our hard earned $$$. I don't expect something for nothing. I expect to pay a reasonable price. I just don't think adding an extra feature like audio out is expecting too much.

greg
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I agree.
    I think that it is crazed that they want 59.99 for a cradle bundled with a bunch of accessories that I'll never use.
    They'll sell a cradle only for the 600 for 25.

Argghhh
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    what bother me is, I am treated like I bought the cheapest pda they sell. I get the features palm wants to sell me. Nothing against the cheaper pda's, but the 650 is the most expensive item they sell and I would think that the addons would reflect that.

greg
    Is that the always-a-new-or-incompatible-cradle that p1 sells is just ridiculuos. The new T5 cradle and the new Treo cradle are different even though they use what appears to be the same connector.

BTW, I found the cradle at buy.com and CompUSA cheaper (but still way over priced) at $49. But they seem to run out - often. I just went down to the local CompUSA and they ran out.
    Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Palm Vx -> Handera 330 -> m515 -> Samsung SPH-I300 (Sprint) -> Tungsten T -> Sony TH55 (BT/WiFi UK) + SE T637 -> Garmin iQue 3600 -> unlocked Treo 650 (AT&T), Jabra BT110 Headset
    ya, it's bs
    1 | 2
    http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/bsflag.gif

Like one of my Account Managers told a customer (while pulling a big jar of Vaseline out of a paper bag) "One of us is gonna need this, and it's not going to be me!"
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    My guess is that the Treo 650 was never meant to be a hot multimedia device (just because it can doesn't mean it was designed that way). The plug on the bottom was for a 2.5mm headset jack. While it can be adapted for stereo headphones, I think the target audience for the Treo is a bit different.

Not saying it's right. However, companies do make a conscious decision on how to design/package/sell these things.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    The problem is this: PalmOne justified the introduction of the new Athena connector as a way to offer more features. They specifically highlighted that the new connector would offer the ability to give audio out for the cradles. It also brought the Treo in line with the new t5 so that accessories would be interchangeable. I for one like standards and the 600 was not standard. I understood that decision. On the other hand the old palm line of universal connectors (that went way back to the M5xx series) were discontinued too. Bottom line is this for me: I can not use my old accessories with the 650 and NONE of the supposed advanced or better features are available to me. I just get a new cradle. No extra features. It appears to me that PalmOne made a good marketing choice. Everyone who upgrades (smartphones or Tungsten owners) will need to buy new accessories. Period. This results in more sales. Good for PalmOne’s bottom line, but not so good for us. This sort of marketing ploy is short sighted. Look at Nokia. They are the number 1 seller of Cellphones. They have used the same charger connector for years. Everytime you get a new phone, you can use the old car charger and wall charger. They are still doing fine. PalmOne I think is still the number one seller of PDA’s, but I bet that changes soon. Don’t get me wrong, when the 700 comes out, I will buy it. I believe in the superiority of the PalmOS. The Treo 650 is still the best smartphone going, but could they not make a better cradle or at least include the basic one with the phone?

just my $.02

greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I just get a new cradle. No extra features.
    Well, the new cradle can charge a spare battery... that's a new feature.

I, too, am surprised by the lack of an audio port like the T5 has. I'm considering adding one to mine someday when I have nothing better to do.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    well FYI, I popped mine apart today and it did not look impossible. There is a little surface mount type circuit board that the connector is soldered too. I can imagine with a little surgery and some fine wires a connector could be added. I thought I would probably drill a small hole and mount a female 1/8" jack on a open spot. I think I will wait a bit to make sure mine doesn't develop short term failure, before I totally void my warranty. I'll take pictures when I get around to it. I also need to find a pinout for the connector. Hopefully the athena audio out is on even when the treo is switched to silent.

greg
    If it ever shows up, it's $36 here:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=179906

Plus a $3.95 "handling fee".