Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Hey freakfarm, thanks for the information, be sure to tell me if your movies are playing properly on your treo.

Hupdesnagel -> Your using windows right? Which version: 95/98/me/2000/XP?
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Hupdesnagel -> Your using windows right? Which version: 95/98/me/2000/XP?
    I'm using Windows XP Professional. I've since found a site where I was able to download and install the XViD package.

I started the covert last night and haven't had a chance to get back to it to see/use the results.

Will post if I run into any problems.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfarm
    With a little google help, I found this link related to what I just posted and now the audio works on my computer!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ohdoom/...g2000audio.exe

Now the question is...how do I get this onto my treo 650? Should I just surf to the link in blazer?
    As I mentioned earlier, I'm on Windows XP Professional and was having the same problem as freakfarm...video was great but no sound. I installed the tag2000audio file and now have audio but it's lagging the video.

Actually, it's the other way around...the audio is sooner than the video.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Hupdesnagel; 03/17/2005 at 04:38 PM.
  4.    #24  
    hey I've been talking with prasys about the codec, he thinks it might be the way he recompiled the codec in the last couple of days that's causing some of the trouble. So I need to find some time that I can run the gauntlet with a few different methods of that.

on the other side, I am also going to play some more with virtualdubmod to see if I can't find out some things.

Thanks guys for helping me out with the new guide!
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Question. I've checked the size of the final avi file and was amazed at it's size. It says that it's 916M!!!!!...can that be correct? How in the world can this fit on a SD card unless your packing a 1GB card.

Ok..editing this post since I just saw that Tekara's movie was only around 200M, so this means I'm doing something wrong.

There were many vob files, believe it was around 8. Are all the vob files suppose to be selected? If not, how do you determine which files to select?
    Last edited by Hupdesnagel; 03/18/2005 at 08:31 AM.
  6.    #26  
    All the vob files should be selected, the movie I did for the posted result had 5 vob files. Well actually, in vstrip all the vob files should be combined together into one big vob file and then the one big vob file should be ran through virtualdubmod by itself.

The vob files that belong together should all have a similar naming scheme:

like: VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_02_1.VOB VTS_03_1.VOB
    belong together
    but: VTS_01_4.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB
    do not belong to eachother or the group of three above.

If your movie came out to 916mb my first thought is that you picked too high a bitrate. make sure that you are using something fairly low around 128-256Kbps. With 8 vob files you may want to try some on the lower end of that range like 160-192.

Audio sync troubles here too. I think I followed the directions to the letter, but the audio is lagging the video by about a half second or so.
    All of this is a lot easier with Mactheripper.

Just pop a DVD in, click Go, then run D-Vision on the file and you're done!

Mactheripper and D-Vision are free!

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16486
  9.    #29  
    There is plenty that is easier, but what I am aiming for is more powerful. I am working towards a strong springboard guide for people to get confortable with more capable programs. So that they can not only create movies for this treo, but the next one, their personal computer, their home theater pc.

Anyway, During this week I'm going to try and see if I can't figure out where the difference is. I'm sure most of it is from some codec I have that I didn't think much of. So hang tight fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingP
    Audio sync troubles here too. I think I followed the directions to the letter, but the audio is lagging the video by about a half second or so.
    With the SmartMovie player, you can adjust the audio lag which might be enough to get them back in sync. At least, it solved the problem for me. Not sure that mmPlayer gives you the same control. You can change the audio buffer size, but I've never found that it helps the audio sync issue.
    Hey Tekara, I have a question. I just used your guideline for encoding a video in XVID but I had a different starting point. I started with a DivX that was 512x384.

Anyway, the downsample went well and I used the two pass approach like you recommended and the first pass file is 88 MB and the result is 249 MB. What is in the intermediate file? I take it that it is not a complete version of the video. Did the second pass combine data from the original file and this file? If all of the information came out of the first pass, why can't I just play that one?
    maybe tek will update this guide agin when/if he ever tries pocket divx encoder app I sent him..lol
    love ya tek!
  13.    #33  
    hey guinnessdraught, the intermediary file basically contains the compression information. that is to say it goes and says "this scene should be compressed this much". it does it in a two pass fashion so that it has the ability to see how the scene sits in relation to the scenes around it and to the movie so that the end result will be higher quality.

Cool. Thanks.

FWIW, Shrek at 320x240 and 24 fps is 250 MB.
    I thought an animated movie would be smaller, but I guess there is a lot of texture there.:-)
    Tek,

Is there any reason your updated version of the guide doesn't mention anything in the virtualdubmod section about audio compression using the Lame MP3 codec? Maybe this is why some of us aren't hearing any audio, because we're not encoding the audio stream using the codec and instead it's using the direct stream copy?

Trying again now, using the Lame MP3 codec for the first pass and a direct stream copy for the second...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  16.    #36  
    I am actually thinking that may be the problem as well, normally vdubmod maintains the in the same formatting as the source. So I believe there still needs to be the initial compression that will handle the audio and then use vdubmod to handle the video.

But in the end, this is still a more complex operation than I would care for, so for now I need to hunt around a little bit to find something in the middle. Because I still want something more powerful than pocketdvd/pocketdivx without compromising to much on the ease of use.

I followed the guide to the T, ripped Return of the King DVD 1(first half)to my HDD, followed all the steps. I ended up with a 646MB avi file whose audio after a while gets unsynced from the video. Also when I played it back in Windows Media Player, I had no video and the audio played like twice as fast. I had to play it back in VLC media player. I picked 255 bit rate. The file says it's 448kbps, so I don't know how it went from 255 to 448.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12