1.    #1  
    Is it just me, or is the HotSync via Bluetooth on the 650 quite slower than via the USB cable? Is there any way to speed up the Bluetooth synch? I've set the COM port speed on both the 650 and the PC to 115,000, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Yes it is .... BT is much slower the USB. Kind of like using a 56K modem vs low end DSL. Port speed won't matter as there is no "real" serial port and your limited by the speed of BT.
    Current bluetooth speeds are up to 1 MB per second, and likely slower due to a variety of factors.

USB is rated for 480 MB per second I believe though I'm not sure if the Treo bus can even feed that kind of throughput.

BTW, the most recent version of Bluetooth is rated for up to 3 MB per second (BT 2.0). Currently the newest Apple Powerbooks are the only devices supporting that standard, though since it is backwards compatable you should start to see it rapidly emerging. Maybe the Treo 700 will have it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    Current bluetooth speeds are up to 1 MB per second, and likely slower due to a variety of factors.

USB is rated for 480 MB per second I believe though I'm not sure if the Treo bus can even feed that kind of throughput.

BTW, the most recent version of Bluetooth is rated for up to 3 MB per second (BT 2.0). Currently the newest Apple Powerbooks are the only devices supporting that standard, though since it is backwards compatable you should start to see it rapidly emerging. Maybe the Treo 700 will have it?
    i doubt bluetooth will even go over 50kbps

usb? which usb is treo 650? usb 1.1 or 2.0?
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    yea I noticed BT sync was slow as anything.... in fact I cancelled out of it because it was taking so long (and I'm pretty patient ) - I am pretty sure the Treo USB connection is 1.1
    You can thank F1 for jamming BT hotsync via serial port technolgy. So slow it makes you pine for the days of 19.2K Hayes Modems.

Pathetic.

Treo 700 and BT 2.0?
    Bwahahahahaha!

If the Treo 700 (this Nov) has BT 2.0, I will be everyone on this thread up to now a new 700.
    technology is a love/hate thing.
    it feels liek its as slow as syncing via IR. As a metter of fact, this is probably the slowest treo ever! I hate the lag on this phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You can thank F1 for jamming BT hotsync via serial port technolgy. So slow it makes you pine for the days of 19.2K Hayes Modems.

Pathetic.

Treo 700 and BT 2.0?
    Bwahahahahaha!

If the Treo 700 (this Nov) has BT 2.0, I will be everyone on this thread up to now a new 700.
    can you correct that last sentence to actually say the word "buy" so I can have you on record...JUST IN CASE P1 does it.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The Treos only use USB 1.1 with is 12Mbps. USB 2.0 is 480Mbps. The limiting factor is the speed of the Treo though. USB is going to be a ton faster, bottom line.

Joe
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have an HP iPAQ that does ActiveSync over the bluetooth and it is quite fast. It does not seems any slower than using the cradle, though I'm sure if I was transferring large files it might. I don't understand why the Treo would be any slower...

Speaking of which, I cannot get my Treo to Hotsync via BT. It connects to the computer, but nothing after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I have an HP iPAQ that does ActiveSync over the bluetooth and it is quite fast. It does not seems any slower than using the cradle, though I'm sure if I was transferring large files it might. I don't understand why the Treo would be any slower...

Speaking of which, I cannot get my Treo to Hotsync via BT. It connects to the computer, but nothing after that.
    Did you tell the hotsync software on the computer to listen to the serial port? and also make sure it is listening on the correct serial port for the bluetooth serial port...
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato

i think you mean 480Mb, not MB. factor of 8 there.