View Poll Results: Do you think the T650 should have been a closed unit with no NVFS?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would have been happy without NVFS and no removable battery

13 25.00%
  • No. I'm glad to have the removable battery and NVFS despite the issues

27 51.92%
  • (Yes + 1) I would have been happy without NVFS, no removable battery and Wi-Fi

9 17.31%
  • Other

3 5.77%
  1.    #1  
    Given the issues with NVFS do you think the T650 should have instead been released as a closed unit with no removable battery and no NVFS like the T600? Just having the better screen, keyboard, bluetooth and faster processor?

If I recall correctly the main complaint about the T600 was that it did not have bluetooth and a sorry screen. After that the next biggest complaint was that there was no Wi-Fi (which is not in the T650, but add ons are coming).

Although some folks using the T600 wanted a removable battery and memory that did not wipe out when the batter died it did not seem to be as big an issue as the others (bluetooth, screen, Wi-Fi).

So to me P1 catered to what may have been a lesser issue of importance by adding NVFS and a removable battery. If the effort invested into NVFS and the battery were put into Wi-Fi I think more folks would be happy.

Although I selected option 1 of my poll myself, simply because I did not need NVFS or a removable battery. And I don't need Wi-Fi either.

Just the same I'm happy with what the T650 is. Just speculating on which options may have made it better...
  2.    #2  
    After the first 10 votes 60% say "NO". So maybe my view of T600 rants was wrong.

Oh my... Maybe PalmOne accurately assessed the complaints of T600 users and did make a device in the T650 that addressed the most significant concerns...
    I could have done without NVFS. But the removable battery is a feature that even the Treo 600 should have had as it is a feature in ALL cell phones. Howeer between NVFS the way it is and not having NVFS, I guess I'd chose to have it the way it is.
    This would be a non-issue had they just increased the memory size.
    WiFi would have been very nice.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/06/2005 at 07:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    All PDA's should work off of NVFS...I mean I haven't had my treo battery completely drained, but it's nice to know my data is safe in case it does. Yes, I could hot sync to get it back. Yes, I have backup buddy on sd. I just like knowing that battery drain won't affect me more than having to charge it again.
    Sooner or later it's bound to be later...
  5.    #5  
    It would be terribly inconvenient to have a removable battery in even the T600 without NVFS.

Because if you are out on the go and have to change batteries you would lose all your data. Then you'd have to get to the PC you did your last full Hotsync at in order to get everything back.

This is why I combined both issues in this poll. Because if you have a removable battery having NVFS is near manditory. Given having a removable battery without NVFS would result in P1 getting a TON of complaints about people losing data.

To me seperating the 2 (NVFS and battery) is not practical.
    Look, NVFS is the future so it's pointless to ***** and moan about it. The focus should be to get on PalmOne Arse to fix the bugs that exist and make sure it never happens again. It's inexcusable that it's been four freakin months since the 650 was released and there still is no sign of the stupid rom upgrade to fix all these problems!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Is there "all these problems" or just the memory problem?

While some folks make various complaints the only one issue we all have noticed is the memory issue. Free SD cards are available and they are working on it.

What is and is not pointless to discuss is a matter of opinion. While you think it's pointless to speak about NVFS I think it's pointless to complain about a fix that is in the making. Those who are working on it are working on it and banging your pot louder does nothing but make your own ears hurt at this point...

Personally I'm just wondering if P1 gave the masses what they wanted for the most part and it seems that is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    What is and is not pointless to discuss is a matter of opinion. While you think it's pointless to speak about NVFS I think it's pointless to complain about a fix that is in the making. Those who are working on it are working on it and banging your pot louder does nothing but make your own ears hurt at this point...
    It's POINTLESS b/e NVFS is not going away. In fact PalmOne has made is quite clear that almost all future devices it releases will use NVFS. Thus, wondering if NVFS should or should not be integrated is useless. It's here to stay period and is a bsic part of P1's product strategy...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    I never was looking for P1 to release any future devices without NVFS. But rather wondering how important it was to folks here. Me seeing what is important to folks is not pointless at all.

Given it did not seem to be one of the biggest complaints in the T600 days from what I saw. The pro-Wi-Fi folks seemed to be complaining more than the folks who wanted something like NVFS.

Say I'm wrong, but I think if the T650 had Wi-Fi and no NVFS that you'd see a lot less angry post on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I never was looking for P1 to release any future devices without NVFS. But rather wondering how important it was to folks here. Me seeing what is important to folks is not pointless at all.

Given it did not seem to be one of the biggest complaints in the T600 days from what I saw. The pro-Wi-Fi folks seemed to be complaining more than the folks who wanted something like NVFS.

Say I'm wrong, but I think if the T650 had Wi-Fi and no NVFS that you'd see a lot less angry post on this forum.

I personally could care less about wifi if the Treo supported 1xEvDo or UMTS. Hopefully, PalmOne will integrate this into the next Treo gen...

11.    #11  
    I agree.

Not offering EVDO in the T650 appears to be an attempt to ensure we spend $600+ on a future device.

And still we play the game .
    I think the flash is a great idea, but I can scarcely think of worse way to implement it. P1 should have given the device more RAM, to be sure, but I'm also mystified at why the flash is used to "mirror" the RAM, giving the device so much wierdness and impaired function.

One thing that made perfect sense on both of my Zaurii was that RAM was used the way a desktop uses it--to hold running programs and their data--while the flash was treated as a hard drive. The Tungsten T5 partially does just that: some of its flash appears as a "permanently mounted" SD card. It would make more sense (albeit not quite as bulletproof in protecting data) if the RAM could be mirrored only intermittenty--say each time the device is turned off.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    This whole thread is tardanic.

NVFS and removeable battery are completely separate.

The issue is not NVFS, but the cluster size and heap issue.

And considering a $1 lithium button battery could've solved the "lose my data when swapping battery, it just shows F1 engineers are plain dumb.

Removeable battery is a must due to power needs, nothing else.

NVFS is the future, but we need a real OS, like 6, not a eight years old OS like 5.x
    I'd have to say that I waited a couple months almost completely for NVFS.
    Course the nicer screen and faster processor were bonuses too.
  15.    #15  
    Now with just over 40 votes the tide has shifted a bit. The "No" votes are down to 46.34%.