Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    We'll just go in circles on this, (you said, he said...) so lets just leave it as that, deal?
    Yes we can leave it at that.
    The bottom line: Everyone with a T650 has the beta OS issues I listed.

I don't know, since I haven't used Chatter. If you meant Snapper, I never said I liked it better. I said I use it, (had it on my old 600), and am comfortable with it. Didn't feel a need to use Versamail. If Snappermail gave me fits, then I would've given Versa a shot.
    I meant to say snapper but here's your quote:

Kind of like buying a new car, and replacing the stereo with something you like better.
    We can drop this as well..
    Last edited by SoufSidah09; 03/07/2005 at 09:07 AM.
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Well all right, fair enough...I'll give you the car analogy.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    My self and my wife have been using two 650 upgrading from 600's not much trouble other than the SIM issue, this is a great phone/pda/camera.
    I started lurking around this site when the 650 rumor mill was going strong a few months prior to release. I was completely excited to buy one, as my wife can attest to due to my non-stop talk about it. But now I still don't own a treo for 2 reasons.

1) This site. It's my biggest reason. So much negative spin on the treo, bugs, defective phones, sound quality, memory issues, mystery resets, etc etc. It's funny, the bluetooth is actuallya big deal to me as I currently have a bluetooth headset and would want it for the treo. The wifi however, I currently have no use for, though i am sure I could find one if the treo had it. Yet, this site got me so worked up over the lack of wifi I was down on the phone for a long time over it. I still worry about the issues. In practical terms, for what I would use the treo for, I doubt any of the potential bugs would ever impact me, but I fully expect a several hundred dollar phone to work flawlessly, after all flawless operation is exactly what I get out of my 50 dollar phone.

2) Carrier contract bait and switch. Both Sprint and Cincular advertise one and two year plans. The rebates associated with the treo all over the internet specifically state one or two year contracts, or this much for a one year and this much for a two. On paper the treo should usually be about 50 bucks more to purchase for a 1 year plan, yet no web sites have the ability to select a 1 year contract. Even sites that in the past have specifically refered to 1 year prices like Amazon and Treocentral were dishonest and did not offer any 1 year contract plans on their site. So even in those periods when I decided that the benefits of the phone outweighed the risks and I was finally going to buy one, I couldn't find the phone I wanted for the price advertised.

One day I am sure Palm, Sprint, Cingular, and the resellers will get it right. I am eagerly awaiting that time as I still wanta treo despite my reservations and the money is just burning a hole in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Why do I see the same 4 or 5 people bashing the Treo with almost the same posts at different threads?
    I only have one question, what are your motives?
    If you didn't like the device, you would have returned it by now and moved on, lets say to other message boards and started bashing your new Blackberry or HP device. The fact that I am seeing you guys after couple of weeks, and in some cases months, still posting against Treo and repeating the same points and arguments, just doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like you guys have some personal issues with Treo and palmOne and your continues bashing reminds me of Yahoo's financial message boards and the bashing of companies by the short sellers and their paid bashers. Is there any relationship here that I don't see? If not, I would be really appreciated if you guys give us some of your true motives of staying on this board and spending so much time reading messages and posting against a device that you don't own anymore.
    Last edited by ash1348; 03/07/2005 at 12:29 PM.
    Interesting back and forth so far. I just thought I have to throw in my 2cents considering all that's being said. So, here you go...

Ok. I'm an IT professional, although not a tech geek (no offense intended). I'm a partner in a technology firm so I probably have a little bit more tolerance of technology than most professionals. I used to use a Palm W, then went to a Blackberry, now I have my 650. I'm on Cingular. I've had it for probably about 3 weeks now. I'm running Goodlink 4.0. Bottom line, it works. I've gotten rid of my phone and gotten rid of my Blackberry. Does it do "weird" things like it's been posted on this site? It has (ie: the slow phone dialing). But does it do it to the degree as it's been posted. No. Is it more than "usable"? Without a doubt.

Before I got it, I too was afraid for what I might be in for after going through this site. From what I was expecting, it's been a pleasure. Sure I had to do some things to get it going. But it's not proprietary hardware like RIM. It's open and software incompatibilities are going to cause problems. So, the key is don't load too much on there. KISS and it will do what you need it to do.

Again, could it be better? Sure. As a software developer, I come across things all the time I'd wish they'd change. Do I think they could have done a better job? Certainly. Am I glad I don't have to use a Blackberry anymore? Without a doubt.

I tried Cingular's XpressMail before I got Goodlink just to see how it worked. And for a "free" solution (assuming you're on Cingular), it was good (except for that darn auto-signature from Cingular). It pushed email like it said. I also was able to get them to unlock it fairly easily (interesting side note: since our business account is w/ AT&T Wireless, I ordered it through them, but what I got was an unbranded one w/ a blue front (like Cingular's just w/o the name). Unfortunately, I got an AT&T SIM card. So, to change it to be a Cingular SIM for XpressMail to work, I had to get it unlocked. Which they did (thanks to knowing what I knew via this site)).

Anyway, bottom line - it works. It does. Do you have to reboot your computer sometimes? Yes. Do you have to reset the 650? Yes. But, I've had to reset every Palm I've had in the past. So this is nothing new. And I've only had to reset it a couple of times back when I was first installing things. And none in a couple of weeks.

So, that being said. I'd suggest if you're looking for an *****-proof device, go for a Blackberry. If you want a lot more but w/ some (minor, minor) tradeoffs, go w/ a 650. If you can get GoodLink, go for that. You'll never look back.

Hopefully, this helps...
  7.    #47  
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. The good news is I haven't heard any mention of sound quality issues with Cingular, just Sprint, so I'm hoping its a network issue with the Treo and not an actual "just Treo" issue.

Now I have to get the phone, its probably that Cingular rep again. Any more ammo?
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Thelonius, don't be put off the Treo by the posts on this site; for that matter, don't be put off any device by a website where enthusiasts--even upbeat ones--gather. That's like judging a product by opening the owner manual straight to the "Troubleshooting" section.

And I'd ignore Two-Pack's ghost altogether: he'd obviously b!tch about a Snap-On wrench because it's not a can opener. Ash has a point; I don't know why he doesn't run along and find something else shiny to play with.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius
    2) Carrier contract bait and switch. Both Sprint and Cincular advertise one and two year plans. The rebates associated with the treo all over the internet specifically state one or two year contracts, or this much for a one year and this much for a two. On paper the treo should usually be about 50 bucks more to purchase for a 1 year plan, yet no web sites have the ability to select a 1 year contract. Even sites that in the past have specifically refered to 1 year prices like Amazon and Treocentral were dishonest and did not offer any 1 year contract plans on their site. So even in those periods when I decided that the benefits of the phone outweighed the risks and I was finally going to buy one, I couldn't find the phone I wanted for the price advertised.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I purchased the Treo 650 from Cingular with a 1-year contract (in a Cingular store) for $50 more than a 2-year contract. I even got the same $50 rebate.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oneklassy1
    Once you have the 650, it will spoil you. There are many devices out there but, there's nothing like the Treo. Try it for 14 days and you'll see.
    I agree.......When I finally decided which smartphone I was going to buy, the 650 won out and I don't regret my decision.

I LOVE my 650!
  11.    #51  
    Thanks for all the input everybody, both good and awful. I made the plunge today and got one from Cingular. I got it for $399 without a rebate or a 2 year commitment, so I don't think I did too bad.

Now, I'll be up all hours of the night, setting it up.

Oh, and I updated my avatar, to fit the occasion..............................
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Nice, good luck!
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    How can you say that? My Treo has had NO PROBLEMS that weren't user-induced or the result of buggy software. The 650 itself has been rock solid. No random resets... none, zero, zilch, nada. It's running all the apps I need it to. I repeat: NO PROBLEMS!
    100% agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    100% agreed.
    Bah, another BS'er!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    This site scared me from getting one. But after talking to a few people I decided to go ahead and get one in spite of what most people in this forum have been saying.
    This is a great thread.
    I want this phone bad -- really bad. For the last two years I've had a Tungsten C and love the screen quality.
    All I want is the PDA and the phone. I don't need e-mail, maybe a little Internet, but basically I want the PDA and phone in one device.
    Now, 2 years ago, when my contract with VZW was coming up for renewal, the new phone was the Kyocera 7135. After reading numerous message boards about how many problems people were having, I decided not to buy it and went with a Samsung A530 (non-smartphone).
    So, I have a little over 2 months left on my VZW contract, and it doesn't look like they're going to offer the 650 soon.
    Sprint has terrible coverage in my area of Central NY so unless VZW plans to offer the 650, Cingular is my only choice.
    Even after reading so many posts down on the 650, I figure, what the heck, maybe by mid-May, the issues will be fixed or I'll know from this forum, what NOT to do.
    I love Palm OS devices, from my first Handspring Visor Deluxe, to a Prism to the C, I am a fan of this platform.
    The Treo 650, to me, is the ultimate Palm OS device and I want one.
    So even after reading all of this, I'm getting one.
    i had no problems for the first week or so...then i just did crazy stuff out of arrogance...now it resets occasionally.
    No problems whatsoever. It sees heavy use in my clinical medicine practice. If I do something crazy, it occasionally hickups... but I pretty much know what NOT to do Best device I've used... much better than my blackberry 7290! (esp with chattermail!)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123