Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    I'm not gonna say those who love the thing are ignoring problems....maybe they really don't have any??!!
    That's the most intelligent thing I've heard around here in a long time!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I've had a soft reset after a hotsync once. The absolute worst for me is the phone dialing delay,,,,,,,,,i end up hitting the send button twice most times thinking I didn't hit it hard enough......Most other issues are with various software issues.
    I have tried to HATE versamail like most posters, but really haven't found it to be bad. I have 2 accounts, that take about 1 minute from doing a "get" to downloaded e-mail. I don't think I have ever needed an e-mail that bad where I needed it in 1-2 seconds. Guess my life ain't that exciting.
    There is such a wide variation in what people are experiencing I gotta wonder if there's just a small but significant number of plain ol' defective telephones..
    IMO this must be part of the issue--part of any new roll-out.

You get the feeling that two happy new TREO 650 owners doin' the same things to their telephones might have really different results.
    As MarkEagle notes above, there's a lot of buggy software out there. How many of us are not running at least one program in beta or other point of questionable stability? How many do not have at least one program that has not been fully tested and confirmed to run properly on the 650? And consider the quasi-infinite interactions between the various combinations of softwares? And how many combinations of these and rock-solid applications are there? (statistical analysis anyone?)?

Yes, the 650 obviously has issues. But few (from my reading of the boards) have experienced problems until various combinations of software have been added (Cingular SIM problem excepted--but again apparently a 3rd-party issue). As use continues, with feedback from users of this board and elsewhere, both P1 developers (most likely slowly) and the 3rd party app writers (hopefully more quickly) will continue to identify and correct the faulty interactions.
    I bought a unlocked 650 from Palm One - added the latest version of my companies email client (Good) and my phone resets regularly - about 6-7 just this weekend. It's probably going back... I bought it specifically for corp email and phone. I'm going back to a nice small bluetooth phone and a seperate email device.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    As a first time Treo owner...... Sprint 650 version, my issue that I feel is somewhat of a disappointment, but it doesn't lessen the usability of my Treo, is that of the 3 phones I have owned using Sprint over the last 6 years, the volume level is the lowest of all of them. This is definitely a hardware issue as I have resided in the same area this whole time. The ear piece on my Treo I feel is adequate but could be louder. The speaker phone outdoors is pretty unusable. Hopefully a fix is in order but I question whether or not the actual speaker can handle the increase in volume level.

As far as the internal memory issue, in my opinion..........opinion is the word many people are failing to utilize in their comments, it is not a big deal so much to me as I am not a previous Palm / Treo user and I use a 1GB SD card. Therefore, I start from scratch to make my Treo 650 do what I want it to do. And being an informed Treo 650 owner.......reading for sometimes several hours a day these very informative posts......I do have a life for those rolling their eyes, I have learned essentially what works and what does not work according to the majority that post comments. I then know what not to try and make my Treo do.

Yeah, my Treo resets about once a week when in Blazer.......I am expecting it so no big deal. Do I get frustrated ? No ! The 99.99 % of the time my Treo 650 works wonderfully. I am even happy to say that my Versa Mail works PERFECT using Yahoo Plus and my Sprint PCS mail box. And one more thing, bluetooth sucks....but that is my opinion. I use an air card for my laptop and Sprint was kind enough to give this non-business customer the unlimited data plan. So bluetooth is not an issue with me and I hate head sets. Leave bluetooth out of the Treo 700 next time and just use EVDO.

So for those people who wonder if they should take the plunge and buy the Treo 650......hell yeah ! Just do it. Thank you.
    And of course the naysayers can't let any positive comments go unchecked.

I love how the Treo and palmOne have to be blamed for every piece of defective software out there.

The reality (in my view of course) is that if you don't load the Treo up with third party apps and leave some free memory it will work as advertised.

I had a Sprint 650 and had occasional resets and problems. In my case I traced the problem to Verichat. Once I removed it via hard reset and reinstalled everything one piece at a time it was very stable.

I now have an unlocked Treo 650. During the first three days, I had two times where the phone would "freeze" in that it would suddenly be about 100x slower than normal. A soft reset fixed this. Since then I had no problems at all. I've even set Versamail to automatically download messages from both an IMAP account and a POP3 account with no problems in over two weeks.

Unless you happen to get a bad piece of hardware (which can happen with any device) and are careful with third party apps, it does work. Anyone who can find a better device should buy it, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    The Truth

The Treo 650 is a great device, BUT it has problems...

It runs a beta OS that I consider: JUNK

with the current OS I would rate it 2.5/5 stars
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The Treo is very useful device, but has some problems. Some of those problems are minor for people, some are major.

The main issue, is that for $600-700, it's more problematic than it should be.

If it was $199, a lot of complaints would subside.
  8.    #28  
    Well, alot of different opinions here. But once again, the sound of the phone pops up. Is this a Sprint quirk or are there reports of GSM phone doing the same thing? In my searches I only see this being complained about on Sprint Treos.

And it is good to know that Cingular offers 30 day trials. Phone service is my #1 issue, so signal and sound quality are top on my list. And at least Cingular is now offering a new Blackberry phone (7100G) that can be my backup plan if the Treo doesn't work out. Though, I'm hoping I won't have to resort to it.

Thank again everybody.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Hey GW... Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security here, go with your gut... Remember that list of good stuff and bad stuff that I posted about the 650.

Cheers.
    Treo 650 is not perfect, nothing is. Remember that we are still very early in this smartphone technology cycle, so do expect some problems. IMHO, if you want a smartphone that does it all well, Treo 650 is it.

Also be aware that there are some folks on this forum who have never owned a Treo 650 but will "review" the unit based on other people's "reviews." My advice is to get one and try it yourself for 14 days. If you don't like it, you can always return it and get your money back.

We have two treos in our household and we are very satisfied and happy customers.
    I love my Treo 650...my Treo 600 was great but this phone is that much better.

I've never heard of an electronic device that didn't have occasional problems....there will be firmware upgrades I'm sure and a lot of bugs will be worked out...the firmware upgrades on the Treo 600 made a big difference.

Some people have been unlucky with dud machines (the Treo wouldn't be the first device to have production glitches...(duh)......palmOne has been great about replacing the duds.

I have been through a lot of regular GSM phones, Symbian phones and a PPC phone and I LOVE this Treo.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have not heard good things about the Blackberry sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    Well, alot of different opinions here. But once again, the sound of the phone pops up. Is this a Sprint quirk or are there reports of GSM phone doing the same thing? In my searches I only see this being complained about on Sprint Treos.

And it is good to know that Cingular offers 30 day trials. Phone service is my #1 issue, so signal and sound quality are top on my list. And at least Cingular is now offering a new Blackberry phone (7100G) that can be my backup plan if the Treo doesn't work out. Though, I'm hoping I won't have to resort to it.

Thank again everybody.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Ah the Treo we love to hate and hate to love.

Well I love my Treo 650. Unlike my Treo 600, which I felt I could load anything onto, I have stopped trying every new piece of software. I have had a couple of scary moments and I feel fortunate to have a "rock solid" 650.

I hate PalmOne's Empire Darth Vader's silence treatment. Instead of saying things like "this and that will be addressed" we live in an almost antagonistic relationship.

But from their point of view, they really must be pulling their hair out. They have to live, to pay the mortgage, and to have nightmares about Sony and Apple and Motorola and...

It is a very exciting time. We finally have a device that I consider perfect. Perfect in terms of resolution, design, etc. Of course it is Version 1.0, and it needs little fixes in many areas.

But it is also a very important time for PalmOne and they are simply not playing it as well as they could.

Instead of debugging simple things like voice quality before shipping it by the thousands, they shipped. Many examples like that. If they provided rock solid software with the device, and an OS version that did not crash, imagine the potential.

I frankly love the 650 but would not run and buy one for my kids or wife or employees. I feel it is like a home made Star Wars Lightsaber. Like you can cut off your arm...its got no holodeck safety protocols.

Because of that, they are missing countless opportunities. Here is the amazing part: to improve the device costs relatively little. Imagine the hundreds of tech support people wasting thousands of man-days because some engineer did not check out the p key, or the BT, or the sound control.

That quality control person (or rather that design performance person) has cost PalmOne countless support calls and many opportunities. I'd rather the device be less "open"...for example, if they published a list of approved software...

It will all come in time. High tech is back and there is no doubt the "hand computer" will be with us all in 5 years.

If I were a betting man, I would bet the leader will not be Palm One but rather some other company that just did it right.

And in a karmic sort of way, our efforts here at the forum are directed at helping PalmOne. But instead of replying or addressing some issues they behave like a stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    How can you say that? My Treo has had NO PROBLEMS that weren't user-induced or the result of buggy software. The 650 itself has been rock solid. No random resets... none, zero, zilch, nada. It's running all the apps I need it to. I repeat: NO PROBLEMS!
    That's BS, what version of the T650 do you have? (GSM or CDMA)

You're running the same code as everyone else so you have the same bugs...

If you're running the CDMA you will have delays, kb lights stays blaring and can't be turned off or dimmed. (can be hacked off with a few apps but you should'nt have to buy an app to do somthing the OS should natively that was in the past model T600)
    Also it seems they addressed the blarring kb in the GSM unlocked version but at the same time you lost the function of the side keys to stop the ringer

You will also have the bluetooth problems with all versions I believe

3. Versamail is buggy and crashes, I've read some did exstensive work and fixed their's (which they shouldn't have to do, it should work with better quaility than apps you have to buy like chatter and snapper being that it's OEM)

4. Your call log defaults on cancel, some say they like this better, I'm sure it wasn't intentional as it annoys most people I know, and if it's addressed in a later code release that will confirm it as an oversight.

5. NVFS...

The above list are *some* of things that MUST affect you as you're running the same code as everyone, there are more look around...So again I call BS to anyone who says they have NO PROBLEMS.

The only way you cannot have these issues is if you're running new code *NOT YET* released from P1 which means you would work for P1, and last I recall no one here works for P1. (even though half the people here act like it
    )

For the record I also have a *good unit* with no ramdom resets or problems of the sort, but like you and everyone else, I still have all the bugs listed above...
    Last edited by SoufSidah09; 03/07/2005 at 02:19 AM.
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur

You're running the same code as everyone else so you have the same bugs...
    Wow, you should ease up. He said he had no random resets, why can't you take him at his word?

If you're running the CDMA you will have delays, kb lights stays blaring and can't be turned off or dimmed. (can be hacked off with a few apps but you should have to buy an app to do somthing the OS should natively that was in the past model T600)
    Also it seems they addressed the blarring kb in the GSM unlocked version but at the same time you lost the function of the side keys to stop the ringer
    You mean the dialing delays? Probably a bug, although it's not a big deal to me. So what my call takes a few seconds to dial out. Luckily, the fate of the free world doesn't hinge on me being able to make that call at that precise second.
    2. You will also have the bluetooth problems with all versions I believe
    Well, i'm with you there, if there is one thing i don't like, it's the BT volume. DUN was an issue as well, but now I've got it functional. However, if you never use BT, i guess this wouldn't bother you, and in that case, it would perform "rock solid"
    3. Versamail is buggy and crashes, I've read some did exstensive work and fixed their's (which they shouldn't have to do, it should work with better quaility than apps you have to buy like chatter and snapper being that it's OEM)
    Haven't used Versamail, so can't say anything about it. But it's no longer on my Treo now anyways.
    4. Your call log defaults on cancel, some say they like this better, I'm sure it wasn't intentional as it annoys most people I know, and if it's addressed in a later code release that will confirm it as an oversight.
    I don't think this is a bug, at least I don't view it as such. I like the Cancel default, mainly because I might not want to call back the last person who called, (or whom I called.) Keeps me from accidentally doing that.
    5. NVFS...
    Not a bug. This is just what happens when you have a file structure. Look at the files on your PC, you'll get a listing for Size, and Size On Disk. If you wanted to say it should not have been implemented, or more RAM should've been installed, fine. But it is not a bug.
    The above list are *some* of things that MUST affect you as you're running the same code as everyone, there are more look around...So again I call BS to anyone who says they have NO PROBLEMS.

The only way you cannot have these issues is if you're running new code *NOT YET* released from P1 which means you would work for P1, and last I recall no one here works for P1. (even though half the people here act like it
    )

For the record I also have a *good unit* with no ramdom resets or problems of the sort, but like you and everyone else, I still have all the bugs listed above...
    For what it's worth, I'm not getting random resets either (although you said MarkEagle was BSing, yet you now say the same thing he did.) But it's certainly not a perfect device. Certainly room for improvement!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow, you should ease up. He said he had no random resets, why can't you take him at his word?
    WTF?!? did you read my whole post? I never said he had random resets, infact I didn't even list random resets, furthermore, I HAVE NEVER HAD RANDOM RESETS, I believe the random resets to be 3rd software related. Please read my post before making assumptions.

You mean the dialing delays? Probably a bug, although it's not a big deal to me. So what my call takes a few seconds to dial out. Luckily, the fate of the free world doesn't hinge on me being able to make that call at that precise second.
    not probably, it IS, it was confirmed by P1, yesterday my cousin could not make a call on my phone after 3 tries I had to do it for him because he ended up constantly hanging up on the call thinking he never pressed the call button...

Well, i'm with you there, if there is one thing i don't like, it's the BT volume. DUN was an issue as well, but now I've got it functional. However, if you never use BT, i guess this wouldn't bother you, and in that case, it would perform "rock solid"
    I have never used BT and don't plan on it, but it doesn't work correctly and needs to be fixed.

Haven't used Versamail, so can't say anything about it. But it's no longer on my Treo now anyways.
    Why haven't you used versamail? It supports IMAP and POP mail, why waste your money on 3rd party mail apps when you have one built in?

I don't think this is a bug, at least I don't view it as such. I like the Cancel default, mainly because I might not want to call back the last person who called, (or whom I called.) Keeps me from accidentally doing that.
    Time will tell...

Not a bug. This is just what happens when you have a file structure. Look at the files on your PC, you'll get a listing for Size, and Size On Disk. If you wanted to say it should not have been implemented, or more RAM should've been installed, fine. But it is not a bug.
    There's is no way in hell P1 should have released a new device in this day and age with less then 128MB ram, how they could go below 64 amazes me...

The NVFS has BUGS see these links...
    Bug 1...
    Bug 2

For what it's worth, I'm not getting random resets either (although you said MarkEagle was BSing, yet you now say the same thing he did.) But it's certainly not a perfect device. Certainly room for improvement!
    AGAIN NEITHER AM I, please drop the whole random reset issue as I never brought it up as a problem, there are many OS issues to be corrected before we even get into 3rd apps...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    WTF?!? did you read my whole post? I never said he had random resets, infact I didn't even list random resets, furthermore, I HAVE NEVER HAD RANDOM RESETS, I believe the random resets to be 3rd software related. Please read my post before making assumptions.
    <snip>
    AGAIN NEITHER AM I, please drop the whole random reset issue as I never brought it up as a problem, there are many OS issues to be corrected before we even get into 3rd apps...
    Yes, I read the post...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    How can you say that? My Treo has had NO PROBLEMS that weren't user-induced or the result of buggy software. The 650 itself has been rock solid. No random resets... none, zero, zilch, nada. It's running all the apps I need it to. I repeat: NO PROBLEMS!
    to which you replied, (since you did quote his post):
    THAT is what I am commenting on. You basically called him a liar because he says he has no problems. Again, it performs for him, don't say he is BSing. You did include his remark about random resets. Maybe if you would have stopped the quote before that point...but since you didn't you were in effect commenting on random resets. Make sense now?

As to Versamail, I've already paid for Snapper. I like it, I'm comfortable with it, so why use Versamail? Kind of like buying a new car, and replacing the stereo with something you like better.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yes, I read the post...

to which you replied, (since you did quote his post):

THAT is what I am commenting on. You basically called him a liar because he says he has no problems. Again, it performs for him, don't say he is BSing.
    I called BS on him saying he has "NO PROBLEMS" and I listed the problems he MUST HAVE...

As to Versamail, I've already paid for Snapper. I like it, I'm comfortable with it, so why use Versamail? Kind of like buying a new car, and replacing the stereo with something you like better.
    How do you know you like chatter better than Versa if you never tried Versamail before?

I still think it would be a good thing if some rich guy goes out and buys about 10 TREO 650's and does the same thing to all of 'em. Bet you would see 2 -4 of them do the bad stuff we hear about. Sounds like some really bad testing and quality control and probably lots of other things I don't begin to understand. Still waiting to hear from PalmOne, though.
    I called BS on him saying he has "NO PROBLEMS" and I listed the problems he MUST HAVE...
    We'll just go in circles on this, (you said, he said...) so lets just leave it as that, deal?
    How do you know you like chatter better than Versa if you never tried Versamail before?
    I don't know, since I haven't used Chatter. If you meant Snapper, I never said I liked it better. I said I use it, (had it on my old 600), and am comfortable with it. Didn't feel a need to use Versamail. If Snappermail gave me fits, then I would've given Versa a shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast