1.    #1  
    Just got my new Cingular Treo 650 last night, and it seems to be having problems sending DTMF tones. This is most noticeable when I try to check my voice mail. When I add my password as extra digits to the voice mail favorite button, everything is fine. When I try to dial my PW manually, with the keyboard or dial pad, it always gets rejected.

When checking my VM from a land line, my PW is always accepted.

Cingular tech support was predictably unhelpful.

I did notice that when I set up my voice mailbox last night and initially entered the password, it kept reading it back to me with some of the digits mysteriously and randomly repeated. For instance, if I entered "12345", it would read it back to me as "12233455". It took several attempts before I successfully entered my intended password.

I expect that I will need a hardware exchange, but I thought I'd ask here. Anyone else seen/heard of/solved this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    Just got my new Cingular Treo 650 last night, and it seems to be having problems sending DTMF tones. This is most noticeable when I try to check my voice mail. When I add my password as extra digits to the voice mail favorite button, everything is fine. When I try to dial my PW manually, with the keyboard or dial pad, it always gets rejected.

When checking my VM from a land line, my PW is always accepted.

Cingular tech support was predictably unhelpful.

I did notice that when I set up my voice mailbox last night and initially entered the password, it kept reading it back to me with some of the digits mysteriously and randomly repeated. For instance, if I entered "12345", it would read it back to me as "12233455". It took several attempts before I successfully entered my intended password.

I expect that I will need a hardware exchange, but I thought I'd ask here. Anyone else seen/heard of/solved this problem?
    I have this same problem when I am using speaker phone. If speaker phone is not on then I don't have a problem.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you, ryanguynn. You saved me a trip back to the Cingular store. Your explanation makes alot of sense, in retrospect.

Now here's a tip for you: If you want to use the speakerphone when entering DTMF digits, just hit the microphone mute.
    This still sucks, and should not happen, speaker phone or not, DTMF tones are sent through pressing buttons as data bursts, not as sounds through the microphone.
    _
  6.    #6  
    Well actually, voice mail (and most other DTMF-response systems) *do* listen for DTMF tones in the audio stream. It's called "in-band signalling". They do this for compatibility with plain old analog phones, of which (believe it or not) there are still a fair number in use. I have four in my house right now. Analog phones have no out-of-band signalling. The only way they can transmit DTMF digits is to turn your button press into an audio tone and send it the same way it sends your voice.

That's why the "double-digit" problem when using the speaker phone. Voice mail (VM) hears my initial key press, which (I'm guessing) is transmitted out-of-band by GSM. My phone also plays the tone out of the speaker, which is picked up a split second later by the microphone and transmitted in-band through the audio stream. VM hears both.

You're right though, TonyH, it sucks in a minor annoying sort of way. There should be an engineering solution rather than a workaround.
    I've found that updating the firmware to version 1.06-ROW fixes it (at least it did on mine). It was annoying that it doubled or missed tones while checking things on speakerphone. So annoying I almost considered trading this in for the 7100g. But that firmware (although not offically released) apparently solved the problem (and BT DUN).You can find it on the mytreo forums.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have not seen this issue on 1.06 either.
    I'm just impressed that your speakerphones were loud enough for the microphone to hear!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro