1.    #1  
    Will an unlocked Treo be able to work with Sprint - or will I have to use the branded phone for their service?

I would rather buy an unlocked treo this way it's not bound to any provider - I dont really mind the extra cost.
    Unlocked applies to GSM/SIM enabled phones.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss
    Will an unlocked Treo be able to work with Sprint - or will I have to use the branded phone for their service?

I would rather buy an unlocked treo this way it's not bound to any provider - I dont really mind the extra cost.
    Sprint uses CDMA phones. The unlocked phones are GSM. Not compatible.

An unlocked GSM phone can work on Cingular, TMobile, AT&T, and other GSM carriers worldwide.
  4.    #4  
    Ok that's what I thought.

So if I am gonna go with Sprint I have to buy a sprint branded phone.

In your opinion - am I better off buying a Sprint branded phone and go with Sprint and be locked in/limited with them - or buy unlocked and go with Cing or T-Mobile? (cingular price plans are much higher then everyone else from what I read - thats why I am tryin to avoid them)
    Sprint unlimited vision is cheaper at $15/month, but you have no flexibility to go to other carriers, or use the phone internationally. If you need to travel abroad then you're better off with an unlocked T650.
  6. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Ok that's what I thought.

So if I am gonna go with Sprint I have to buy a sprint branded phone.

In your opinion - am I better off buying a Sprint branded phone and go with Sprint and be locked in/limited with them - or buy unlocked and go with Cing or T-Mobile? (cingular price plans are much higher then everyone else from what I read - thats why I am tryin to avoid them)
    There are several issues to consider depending on what you plan on doing with the phone. In addition to cost, check which provider has the best network coverage in your area. Another factor is data speed. The Sprint version may be faster if your GSM/GPRS provider doesn't have EDGE. If you plan on traveling overseas you may want to consider the GSM version.
  7.    #7  
    I have never traveled over seas yet - so that's not a factor as of now.

As far as my research goes - Sprint and Cingular service are about the same. And I am under the impression that I can test out Sprint for 2 weeks and return the phone if I am unhappy (then I could change to cingular or whatever)

I just prefer the ability to have an unlocked phone.

Another scary factor is how you have no insurance or warrantee with cingular - and reading tehse forums there sure seems to be plenty of problems. So the 5$ insurance plan with Sprint is enticing.

If I buy a Sprint branded phone - would that be able to be "unlocked" and used for Verizon possibly down the road?
    I have never traveled over seas yet - so that's not a factor as of now.

As far as my research goes - Sprint and Cingular service are about the same. And I am under the impression that I can test out Sprint for 2 weeks and return the phone if I am unhappy (then I could change to cingular or whatever)

I just prefer the ability to have an unlocked phone.

Another scary factor is how you have no insurance or warrantee with cingular - and reading tehse forums there sure seems to be plenty of problems. So the 5$ insurance plan with Sprint is enticing.

If I buy a Sprint branded phone - would that be able to be "unlocked" and used for Verizon possibly down the road?
    Yes, you can return it within 14 days (or 30 if you live here in California.)

As to "unlocking" to work on VZW, well, it can be done...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Unless you travel overseas a lot, I think the "advantage" that GSM phones can be used worldwide is overblown. For the 1 trip overseas I made each of the last two years it was just as easy to rent a phone locally as to get a local sim card.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    Do you guys feel the 5$ insurance plan is a factor?

Or are these treo's covered under a warrantee with palmOne?

I am not an abusive phone owner - and have never had a problem with losing phones or whatever - but I worry with all the problems I read about that I will be left out dry.
    Do you guys feel the 5$ insurance plan is a factor?

Or are these treo's covered under a warrantee with palmOne?

I am not an abusive phone owner - and have never had a problem with losing phones or whatever - but I worry with all the problems I read about that I will be left out dry.
    Most phones I wouldn't worry about. But these are a little different, (certainly pricewise) than your average "give-away" phones. I'm glad I have it, never used it, but nice to know it's available if I need it.

12.    #12  
    And what about the inability to recieve calls while on the net?

I have a fear that I will be on the "net" a lot more then I think I will be. I go to school full time so I am stuck on campus for like 7-8 hours at a time all week - so I will probably rely on this phone for my business more then I think.

So while now I don't really think it will be such a downfall - I am concerned that it may come into play more then I think.

So how much of a pitfall do you consider teh CDMA's not being able to recieve calls while on the net as apposed to GSM being able to recieve them.

Thanks again for your time guys ...
    And what about the inability to recieve calls while on the net?

I have a fear that I will be on the "net" a lot more then I think I will be. I go to school full time so I am stuck on campus for like 7-8 hours at a time all week - so I will probably rely on this phone for my business more then I think.

So while now I don't really think it will be such a downfall - I am concerned that it may come into play more then I think.

So how much of a pitfall do you consider teh CDMA's not being able to recieve calls while on the net as apposed to GSM being able to recieve them.

Thanks again for your time guys ...
    For me, that's a huge drawback - having a data-intesive phone that can't receive calls when transferring data. I've been with T-Mobile for 2.5 years and would never go back to CDMA. Plus, the battery life is better on the GSM version.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  14.    #14  
    Anyone know a good way to check coverage in my area without actually buying the phone and testing it out?