Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Firstly: hello to the forum - I've been lurking for some time and find it most informative. Thanks to the admin team!

My background: been using Palms since 1999 - Palm V and a collection of Sony Clies up to TH55.

With Sony pulling out of PDA production, I've been looking at the Treo 650 as it seems to be - by far - the most coherent PDA/phone combo.

But I fear the lack of built in wi-fi - and in particular the lack of Skype support - may deal the product a fatal blow in the UK.

Right now, Skype is the hot technology and Ready2Surf have just announced FREE Skype wi-fi access in over 350 locations over the UK - and Treo650 users are going to miss out completely.

In the States,
    roaming VoIP test are proving that the technology is mature so I think it's a disaster that us Palm users can't get in on the act.

There doesn't seem to be any real prospect of Skype emerging on the Palm in the near future and with no out-of-the-box wi-fi drivers on the horizon, have Palm just blasted several rounds into their own foot?

I use Skype at home and love it, and I want to be able to use it on the move too. If the Treo can't provide it, I fear I may have to reluctantly move to the PPC platform - and that's something I really don't want to do!

(In case no one knows what Skype is, it's a means of making and receiving absolutely free phone calls over the internet to other wi-fi/broadband connected users. The software is totally free www.skype.com)
    easy, get yourself a xda IIs or mini JAM
    allright?
    i'm fine with the lack of wifi on treo 650
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I haven't really been affected by the lack of wifi. It was more of a toy for me anyways. The ability to aswitch to VoIP would be great at work as our customer site is on VoIP. Otherwiase, It'd just be a toy for me.
    Skype on the treo could be used with an unlimited data plan not just wifi in theory. Skype can work on 56Kb modem it can work on EDGE's speeds. You would then be able to make free calls any yime you want! Skype has to make the software, please!!!!!!!!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I suspect that by the time VoIP for handheld devices ever becomes the next big thing that the Treo 650 will no longer be the latest model. Who knows what the future holds. I imagine Wi-Fi is on the horizon for Treo users.After using the Treo 600 for a year and a half I purchased an SX-66 because I though having Wi-Fi would be great. I dropped the SX-66 for the Treo 650 and can honestly say I don't miss the Wi-Fi one bit.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    I suspect that by the time VoIP for handheld devices ever becomes the next big thing that the Treo 650 will no longer be the latest model. Who knows what the future holds. I imagine Wi-Fi is on the horizon for Treo users.After using the Treo 600 for a year and a half I purchased an SX-66 because I though having Wi-Fi would be great. I dropped the SX-66 for the Treo 650 and can honestly say I don't miss the Wi-Fi one bit.
    In the UK it's definitely becoming a big thing: Skype users can now get absolutely free calls using free wi-fi terminals at just about all the major UK railway stations with the network growing all the time.

T-Mobile have just laid a wi-fi network along the entire length of the London-Brighton train route, with the Great Northern Railway (London to Scotland) installing wi-fi on its trains.

As I said, unlimited data tariffs are very rare in the UK (and hugely expensive), so that Skype/wi-fi may become a compelling feature for mobile users.

And let's get one thing straight: I'm not posting this to put the Treo down - I love the look of the phone and want to stay with the Palm platform - but I really fear that Palm's failure to incorporate this amazing technology may lead loyal users like me to wander off elsewhere...

The Palm platform will be considerably weakened without Skype and with SOny no longer on board I do fear for its future in Europe....
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75
    ...But I fear the lack of built in wi-fi - and in particular the lack of Skype support - may deal the product a fatal blow in the UK.
    I don't think so. Fatal blows have reportedly been landed on palmOne ever since the IIIc, including all the wifi hype.

And they're still here, and selling out of the Treos.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I don't think so. Fatal blows have reportedly been landed on palmOne ever since the IIIc, including all the wifi hype.

And they're still here, and selling out of the Treos
    I hope you're right, but the fact that only one of the big 5 networks in the UK seems to be supporting the device coupled with zero wi-fi support is making it look a lot less attractive than it might be,

For the first time I'm thinking of switching platform because (in the UK) no wi-fi means no free Skype calls and no chance of free internet through shared hotspots.

Unfortunately, data tariffs cost a small fortune out here and I look with considerable envy at the unlimited deals offered Stateside!

But, I hope Palm aren't complacent about the wi-fi issue because it is a make-or-break feature for many here....
    I have a wirelesss home network (desktop with three laptops) running on a variety of operating systems (desktop: ME, 1 laptop with 98SE and 2 with XP) and three Treos running through the house (2 300s and 1 600 - none of us has a great desire to upgrade). Anyway, I looked at the WIFI issue and do not find it to be a serious issue. There are applications that provide access to the home network (Win-Hand for instance is installed on my laptop and the desktop) and frankly, the Treo 600 works well within the Sprint PCS environment.

If WIFI is a make-or-break issue, then look at how to work around it. From a remote site I am able to access every computer on the home network. The use of a remote server is not tooo exciting, but I have done everything I can to ensure security of the home network - encryption, MAC addressing, password, SSID, et cetera.

HanDBase is used extensively on my Treo and the data it uses on the Treo and the desktop is all ready encrypted on both machines. So, I do not spend too much time worrying about it.

Ben
    I hope you're right, but the fact that only one of the big 5 networks in the UK seems to be supporting the device coupled with zero wi-fi support is making it look a lot less attractive than it might be,

For the first time I'm thinking of switching platform because (in the UK) no wi-fi means no free Skype calls and no chance of free internet through shared hotspots.

Unfortunately, data tariffs cost a small fortune out here and I look with considerable envy at the unlimited deals offered Stateside!

But, I hope Palm aren't complacent about the wi-fi issue because it is a make-or-break feature for many here....
    urban75 - Thanks for the info about wifi in the U.K.

I share some of your concerns. I think that the Treo650 will do just fine, but the next Treo, which should be out in a year or two (hopefully!) had better have it.

I'm not sure why palmOne isn't pushing wifi coupled with VoIP since that would free them a little from the grip of the mobile phone carriers. I'd love to take my CDMA Treo650 and use it for VoIP calls in Europe.

Being on a university campus with WiFi, having a WiFi enabled Treo would rock, I could call my relatives around the world for free whenever I wanted!
    If you've got a Treo in the UK, you'll have a voice plan including a bunch of free minutes anyway. If I've got a phone in my hand, I'm going to go via the phone application and use GSM, not...
    1. Switch on WiFi
    2. Let the device find the Access Point.
    3. Go to the Skype application and dial the number.
    4. Make the call
    5. Switch off WiFi to preserve battery life.

A waste of time given the abysmally small number of WiFi locations in the UK, railway stations notwithstanding.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    A waste of time given the abysmally small number of WiFi locations in the UK, railway stations notwithstanding.
    Ready2Surf has just opened up free wi-fi access to 350 locations in the UK including Virgin Megastores, Eurostar, Travelodge, Moto, Little Chef, Virgin Trains, EAT, Choice Hotels and Quality Inn and major railway stations including all the London terminals.

The Cloud also has 3,000 boozers wired up for wi-fi, and if they come in on the Skype deal, that'll be a lot of places offering completely free phone calls....

There may be some areas where there's barely any wi-fi coverage but all the signs are that it's going to change very rapidly with far, far more coverage in the UK.
    So what sort of percentage of the UK population do you think that coverage will amount to?
    A really stupid question - does everything have to be free? I frankly have no problem paying for a serivce. Ben
    So use a regular phone. What's Skype offering you if it's not cost savings?
    ...But, I hope Palm aren't complacent about the wi-fi issue because it is a make-or-break feature for many here....
    The US market is not disimilar in the sense that there is a segment of users that are interested in wi-fi, but the financial health and stability (and success) of palmOne does not hinge on us. There are still too many users that will be very satisfied with the Treo as is, and as long as sales of Treo 650's continue strong, people like us are just going to have to wait...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    At first glance, your title regarding the "downfall of palmone" seem international. However, reading your post it seems specific to the U.K.

Anyhow, perhaps you are right. Just to reiterate, in no way is it a downfall in the U.S. In fact, I would argue it is an advantage here because of the lack of WIFI outside of major eateries, coffeeshops, and airports. I had a Tungsten C which was useless when I was on the buses, subways, or even driving in the car on long road trips in major cities like NYC, Chicago, or Los Angeles. Now with the Treo 650 and GPRS/EDGE, I am able to access the net.

It is an interesting concept to have a phone convesation via WI-FI, but we are lagging in that type of technology in the USA from my understanding compared to areas of Europe, like the U.K.

In closing...no downfall expected in the USA.

Phys User
    The lack of WIFI is not the killing missing feature. The lack of adequate internal RAM is the biggest problem for the Treo 650. The inclusion of the outdated Blazer browser is the second biggest problem of the Treo 650. It should have included WebPro 3.5, which can handle more secure sites like Paypal, Bank Sites, shopping portals, etc.

WIFI only affects a few, the Memory issue affect much more.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    It appears to me that if I had the choice between WIFI and PCS, that PCS would be the preferred avenue. Access anywhere versus access somewhere is a big difference.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    It appears to me that if I had the choice between WIFI and PCS, that PCS would be the preferred avenue. Access anywhere versus access somewhere is a big difference.

Ben
    Amen to that, bro!

Not to mention bringing your laptop along on the road to mate with the Treo and accessing the 'Net' via bluetooth or cabled tethering and as long as there is coverage, there is Internet access! Longer than 150-300ft range at decent speeds. If I am traveling a ways from home, my G4 is coming with me for sure and there is no memory problem with my Treo and Notebook!

(keep in mind kids, the Treo isn't the laptop replacement when traveling a large distance)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast