1.    #1  
    Just a simple question.

Can you sort contacts/address by first name ?

Im moving back to the palm os world and thinking of buying a Treo 650 but I remember in the old days I was never able to do this with my old Visor Deluxe.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ice5339
    Just a simple question.

Can you sort contacts/address by first name ?

Im moving back to the palm os world and thinking of buying a Treo 650 but I remember in the old days I was never able to do this with my old Visor Deluxe.
    Still can't. I don't think it makes much of a difference though since you can search by either.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Still can't. I don't think it makes much of a difference though since you can search by either.
    To those of us that are used to the First Name, Last name format, it sure does make a big difference. I really think it is appalling that Palm in all these yrs thinks that only the American market matters and does not allow the 'First Name, Last Name' format diplay option. What makes this even more stupid on their part is that it costs them nothing and is probably no more than a days work for a programmer to provide for this option. With this kind of rigidity and narrow mindedness, it is no wonder that the Palm OS is losing out to others and the future of Pam as a company itself does nto seem to bright. We were far better off with the Treo being a Handspring product.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    For what's it worth I've installed Agendus and I'm really happy with it. It provides first name sorting and so much more. It's really robust compared to the build in contacts program, and really not a lot of money in my opinion for what you get. I agree with Sanjay that first name sorting wouldn't have been hard to add and it seems like a glaring oversite. On the other hand you can get so much more out of your 650 by exploring some of the 25k library of Palm software.

One note about Agendus, I also tried the mail program and to put it plainly, it sucked. (I found Versamail better and Agendus mail was buggy.) I say this because I highly recommend trying before buying when it comes to software. For example some people here much prefer Datebk5 over Agendus so personal taste is also a factor, not to mention compatibility with your device and the software you have installed on it.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  5.    #5  
    When you come from a country where people are listed by first name in the national phone book, its a must to be able to sort by first name (Iceland)

In addition there are almost no family names here but rather my last name is my fathers first name with son at the end of it. So if my last name is Stefanson that means my fathers first name is Stefan, therefore I and my father have different last names.

Just a little info
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    And if you were from Arkansas or Louisianna, you father could be your brother... Then would you have the same last name?
    I don't see the big deal. While you cannot sort by first name, if you type in the first name it will automatically filter the list as you type.

I originally thought it was only filtering the last name, but it filters the first as well. It even filters if you type in initials!

As far as I am concerned, with the functionality provided I have no need to ever scroll through the entire list...
    It think the people complaining has missed the point. If I am looking for Charles (whatever is name is again) in contacts, I can type charles and it would display

Brown, Charles
    Charles, Shephen
    Charleston, Larry
    Richardson, Charles

So given this, what is the big deal?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Well the Treo 600 certainly lets you display both firstname/lastname and lastname/firstname so I'd be suprised if the 650 didn't..

As godschoice above said, I love the way I can tap in either the first OR last name and it displays all..
  10.    #10  
    Well as I do not YET have a Treo I was not aware of the filtering ability so no point has been missed but a valuable point has been made here

Thanks for the info.

Its been 3 years since my last Palm os device and back then this was a problem, but as people explain here the Treo filtering ablity makes this a non issue any more.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMc
    Well the Treo 600 certainly lets you display both firstname/lastname and lastname/firstname so I'd be suprised if the 650 didn't..

As godschoice above said, I love the way I can tap in either the first OR last name and it displays all..
    Well, believe it or not, the Treo 650 does not do First Name/Last Name. You forget, that Treo 600 was a Handspring product, whereas Treo 650 is a PalmOne product. The limitation is with the narrow mindedness and short sightedness of PalmOne, Handspring on the other hand had modified the Palm OS to add this funtionality, which PalmOne has reversed after they took over.

I may be confused but when I go to look up a contact on my t650 I can type in someones initials either forwards or backwards, I can type their firstname or last, I can type just 1 initial first or last and it pulls up the right contact. I know under preferences you dont have the choice of "first name, last name". And I dont have very many contacts so maybey that makes a difference, but I couldnt imagine it being any easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice5339
    When you come from a country where people are listed by first name in the national phone book, its a must to be able to sort by first name (Iceland)
    Just a little info
    Wow, that would be a mess in the US. I cannot imagine trying to look up the number for a guy named "John". Of course, I guess it is not any worse than try to look up a last name "Smith".. hmmm

But, last names are pretty much set here, where you might meet a guy named Bob who was really listed under Robert and you would never find him.

[Edit]: I guess you could put all your first names under company. You can sort by company, last name
    Last edited by Hotoru; 03/17/2005 at 12:21 AM. Reason: trying to make post at least *somewhat* on topic :)
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    I have my contacts sorted by first name.

I simply put their first name first, and their last name last, and it is sorted by first name not last. Is that really that hard?
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    I have my contacts sorted by first name.
    I simply put their first name first, and their last name last, and it is sorted by first name not last. Is that really that hard?
    Then again PalmOne could simply provide a 'First Name, Last Name' option, now would that be really hard. This is an indication of PalmOne's narrow outlook towards things, whereas Handspring had a much more progressive outlook.

Or you can use "The Truth" method of entering in a persons name, the full name into one line.

Last name:..John Doe........
    First name:......................

works like a charm. Just dont forget to do this for every new contact you add in the future.
    Last edited by The Truth; 03/17/2005 at 09:19 AM.
    Whats great are applications that let you search from any field you choose, So instead of trying to remember the name of the jerk over in accounting that sits by the coppier, I just put accounting jerk in the custom field. Thats just another reason to love takephone http://www.shsh.com/products/takephone.html