1.    #1  
    I recently got a Treo650 and installed verichat. The next day my AIM account has had its password changed and i can't get in it from anywhere. I have had this account for about 10 years and i would hate to lose it as it is my primary contact point with numerous people. I have never revealed my password to anyone except for logging onto the verichat server. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any hope of getting it back?

Sad and dejected,

matt
  2.    #2  
    any help? anyone? no ideas?

matt
    It's not Verichat; we all use it fine and the company is reputable. I'm really not sure how to go about getting it back, but I'm not sure the Treo forums are the right place to ask. Is there an AIM forum somewhere?
    I just installed VeriChat and I noticed that the default setting is to prevent you from logging in from any other computer if you are also logged into verichat. Is that the problem?

If not, you can go to www.aim.com and find the "Lost Password" link. They should be able to e-mail it to the address on file.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no comply
    I recently got a Treo650 and installed verichat. The next day my AIM account has had its password changed and i can't get in it from anywhere. I have had this account for about 10 years and i would hate to lose it as it is my primary contact point with numerous people. I have never revealed my password to anyone except for logging onto the verichat server. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any hope of getting it back?

Sad and dejected,

matt
    Can I ask how you knew the password was changed? Just because you can't get in? I only ask this because I received a bogus email from "aol" saying my screen name was changed and to follow their link to verify or make changes. I didn't, since I never follow a link from an email that involves verifying my ID and password.

Sad and dejected,

matt
    AIM hasn't been around for 10 years so I'm assuming you have an AOL account and use it on AIM as well.

If that is the case, log onto AOL and goto keyword:AIMPASS. You can reset your AIM password there.
    -Cal
    I think you're mistaken, Cal . . .
    What do you mean, "AIM hasn't been around for 10 years . . . "
    Quote Originally Posted by pqfnb2
    I think you're mistaken, Cal . . .
    What do you mean, "AIM hasn't been around for 10 years . . . "
    AIM is AOL Instant Messenger. It has not been around for 10 years. The ability to send an AOL IM through the AOL service has been around for 10+ years, but not the standalone AIM client/screen names for AIM.
    -Cal
    I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying, "AIM hasn't been around for 10 years" as in 10 years ago AIM went away, and it hasn't been around for the last 10 years.

Many of us no longer have AOL accounts, but our AIM IDs are old AOL screennames we kept. If that's the case, Matt can go to aim.com and click, "Lost Password."

Sorry for the confusion, Cal.
    I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying, "AIM hasn't been around for 10 years" as in 10 years ago AIM went away, and it hasn't been around for the last 10 years.

Many of us no longer have AOL accounts, but our AIM IDs are old AOL screennames we kept. If that's the case, Matt can go to aim.com and click, "Lost Password."

Sorry for the confusion, Cal.
    No problem.
    -Cal
    I think that may be the problem. It seems AOL periodically purges old screennames. So, if your AIM login was from an old AOL account no longer active, eventually they will shut it down. This has happened to several friends who closed their AOL accounts. They eventually had to change their AIM screennames.
    Hmm, that's scary.
    I closed my AOL account several, several years ago. I've been using that screenname as my AIM ID ever since.
    Maybe since I log on to AIM every day, the name is still 'active.'
    Maybe since I log on to AIM every day, the name is still 'active.'
    That's correct. They purge only the accounts who are inactive for a certain period of time.

Also they will suspend accounts for various reasons. I wonder if the OP is getting an invalid password error or a suspended account error?
    -Cal
  14.    #14  
    Some quick points i have NEVER been inactive i log on every single day, yes i had it ten years ago as an AOL account then converted to an AIM account when i ditched AOL. I think i am basically screwed as no one anywhere has been able to help me. I am also not retarded so you can assume i didnt give my password out in a bogus email. And it was a kerberos compliant password so it wasn't randomly guessed.
    Some quick points i have NEVER been inactive i log on every single day, yes i had it ten years ago as an AOL account then converted to an AIM account when i ditched AOL. I think i am basically screwed as no one anywhere has been able to help me. I am also not retarded so you can assume i didnt give my password out in a bogus email. And it was a kerberos compliant password so it wasn't randomly guessed.
    How your AIM account password was reset cold be anyone's guess. Could have been an AOL mistake, or some "hacker" reset it..who know's.

But here is the problem I'm guessing will happend in your case:

You had the account on AOL and made it into AIM. By doing this, your AIM account is registered to that AOL email address. If you did not change your registered email address before cancelling your AOL account, it would be left registered to that old AOL account.

Now when you go to the AIM website to "request forgotten password", it will send the password email to your old AOL account which is gone, so theemail wold bounce. Unfortunately the only way you could *possibly* get your password would be to try and re-create your old AOL address on an existing account and then "request forgotten password" again. As long as the AIM account is still active and not suspended, the email would get through to your re-made AOL account.

*EDIT* Actually I am wrong. Since your AIM account was recently active, you could not re-make it on AOL unless you sign up a new account with them using your existing AIM account. So it sounds like your screwed, sorry.
    -Cal
  16.    #16  
    yeah im screwed.
    thanks cal i appreciate the thoughts
    how are you screwed? did you even try to go to the website to recover it? they will send it to your email address that you used when you signed up. if you don't use that email anymore well they have other ways to verify... or maybe YOU are the hacker & are trying to get access to someone else's password!!!
    Treoneo- that kitty picture is adorable!

Also, is there a free AIM program that would allow me to access/contact my IM buddies without using text messaging? I am on a limited texting plan and don't really want to add any more costs to my bill.... thoughts?