1.    #1  
    Here's my situation:
    I recently bought a brand new Treo 650, tried putting in my old sim card, and no luck. So I trolled some boards, and found out about the issues with the old sim cards, went out and bought a new Axalto 64 sim card. I'm getting the message 'Your phone cannot be used with this SIM card'. It said the same thing with the previous SIM card, and now the brand new one. (One other thing, this new SIM card works in my old phone, and in my friends phone) I've tried calling Palm tech support, but you all know how that is, 3 hours on hold and then a disconnect after fake ring sounds. I've trolled these boards, and found one link that 'could' have been helpful.. but nowhere did it say in the post that they had the problem with the actual SIM card not working. (I still tried doing what they suggested, to no avail) I'm at a loss, I even called through their Palm's sales side so I could at least talk to someone, and they didn't have a clue. So, this is my last resort for help, I found this board today, and I'm in need of help, I will give huge kudos to any help I can get :P (seeing as how I just blew my money on the 650, I only have kudos to give out) So really, any info, suggestions, software fixes, or anything anyone might know of would be simply beautiful. I appreciate anything anyone can offer.

Thanks,
    Idiopathic

P.S. I almost drove out to the PalmOne HQ today, it's about 20 minutes away from where I live, but they're closed on weekends apparently. I might try that on Monday.
    my suggestion is, wait on the phone and get a replacement. Took me 1hr 30min. to get through, but my replacement has been great.
    1 | 2
    where did you buy the phone? is it a cingular branded phone? are you using a cingular sim card? if you are trying to use a sim card that is locked to another carrier then you are going to be struggling for a while. likewise if you bought a used phone that was locked due to the previous acct. not being payed you'll be in trouble. more info please
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It sounds like the LOCKED 650s will say if you put the 3rd carrier SIM card in... It is unlocked 650 you got there?
  5.    #5  
    Hrm, I bought the phone off Ebay, it was supposedly 'Brand New'. The SIM card is from cingular, and the phone is also Cingular, I'm unaware of the info on locked phones tho, I'll look into that I suppose. Honestly tho, thanks for the quick responses, you guys are great, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Idiopathic
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It has a blue "faceplate" and the Cingular logo on the left upper corner next to the LED?

If so... then you might got a defected 650.
  7.    #7  
    It has the blue faceplate, but no Cingular logo next to the LED.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I mean below the LED light... or there is no Cingular logo at all? Well if I am right I suppose that is an AT&T Wireless 650, and if I am right, you can use a Cingular's SIM card in an AT&T Wireless 650 since they are merged?

See if you can find someone that has an AT&T Wireless phone and put his/her SIM card in that 650 and see what it says.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDu
    I mean below the LED light... or there is no Cingular logo at all? Well if I am right I suppose that is an AT&T Wireless 650, and if I am right, you can use a Cingular's SIM card in an AT&T Wireless 650 since they are merged?

See if you can find someone that has an AT&T Wireless phone and put his/her SIM card in that 650 and see what it says.
    No, you cannot use an AT&T SIM in a Cingular phone.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  10.    #10  
    Heh, 'should' it have a Cingular symbol underneath the LED? If so, then I simply bought the wrong phone, although I still think the SIM card should work. If it doesn't matter, then I probably just have a defective phone it seems.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I see, thanks ZBoater! Well I guess you might got an AT&T Wireless 650 Idiopathic....
  12.    #12  
    Kinda weird tho, it has the Cingular logo on boot up, there's no indication of it being an AT&T phone, only Cingular.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    That's odd! Well is there any Cingular on the phone itself at all? If you can provide the Software number by go "Options" menu and select "Phone Info" in the phone application. Look for the "Software" and see what it says.
  14.    #14  
    The software is: Treo650-1.02-CNB.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    You got an AT&T Wireless 650! The Cingular's 650 end with "-CNG" and AT&T Wireless' 650 end with "-CNB". It should say on the box too.

EDIT:

Or either the P1 or the seller flashed (accident) what were suppose to be a Cingular-branded 650 AT&T Wireless' Firmware or the other way (bad print press lol).

I'll suggest you call P1 or just stop by the HQ and slap them in their face lol
    Last edited by SteveDu; 03/05/2005 at 08:54 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Oye vay, hey, thanks a bunch for your help Steve, it's much appreciated. I'll go and exchange, it specifically said in the auction that it was for Cingular :x Oh well, thanks again, I'll be hangin around these boards from now on
  17.    #17  
    Actually just to let you know, the box only sais Cingular, no where does it say AT&T. Great :P
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    You can't trust what you see these days anymore huh lol, and no problem man, good luck and welcome to the TreoCentral family