1.    #1  
    Like many of you, I use Hot Sync to transfer all of my Outlook info to the 650. However, I'm having the following problem. When I have a contact in which I have stored both a company name and the name of an individual, even though I file that contact in Outlook by the company name, it's stored in the 650's contact software only by the person's name. This means that I can't access that contact by typing in the name of the company, and in many cases I don't know the name of the person listed on the contact (e.g. restaurants, where I've listed the name of the general manager of sommelier). I've looked for a setting on the 650 (and in the Hot Sync software on my PC) that would change the way the contact is stored so it's the same as in Outlook (by the company name rather than by the individual's name), but can't find anything. Can anyone help? TIA.

Todd Serota
    Todd,

I agree with you 100%. I have owned a Treo for almost two years. First a Treo 600 and now a Treo 650. For me the Treo contact database was so useless (for the exact reasons that you mention) that I have resorted to doing the following:

Here is my work around:

I use a simple but what I consider to be the best PIM- "TrueSync Desktop".

I cross map the fields from “TrueSync Desktop” to Outlook. For example- my entire Restaurant contact tab in “TrueSync Desktop” has the Restaurant Name field sync to the Last Name field in Outlook. I do the same with the Company Tab. The result being that my Treo list shows Company Names and Restaurant Names instead of managers and names of individuals that mean very little.

Here is what I suggest as your work around:

You can accomplish the same thing without using a separate PIM such as TrueSync Desktop. You will just need to enter the Company or Restaurant name in the Last Name field in Outlook. Then put the mangers names in the Company Name field in Outlook. I know this was not the answer you were hoping to receive but if you take it one step further it will seem transparent:

Make a custom template in Outlook and rename the fields to something like this:

Change "Last Name" field to say "Contact Name"
    Change "Company Name" field to say "Contact Person"

I would also suggest using different contact folders so you can use the appropriate template. In other words you can use the default outlook template for people and they would reside in an outlook folder called "People". Then you would have a custom template for Restaurants that would reside in a "Restaurant" contact folder in outlook. The same for Companies.

This is a GREAT work around. I personally found it a little difficult to design the custom outlook templates but I am sure if I put enough time into it wouldn’t be that difficult.

Here is a link that I just found to give you a little bit of an idea. Please excuse me if the link is not exactly what I was speaking about (I didn't have time to read the entire page) but it seems very close.

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/191/18/1.html

Now with that said if anyone on the TC board has a magical fix we are all ears.
    Might also look into an application suite such as Key Suite. It syncs folders and sub folders as well and supports all of Outlooks fields.
    If you want to search by company name, one of the best features of TakePhone is it's ability to search using the fields you choose. If you want to search by company name, you can do that.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Todd,

I created a template for you to use for Restaurants and Companies. If you PM me your email address I will email it to you. It works great. You can either set up seperate folders that use this template by default or you can use your main contact folder and just manually chose this template before you are about to enter a restaurant or other business.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tserota
    Like many of you, I use Hot Sync to transfer all of my Outlook info to the 650. However, I'm having the following problem. When I have a contact in which I have stored both a company name and the name of an individual, even though I file that contact in Outlook by the company name, it's stored in the 650's contact software only by the person's name. This means that I can't access that contact by typing in the name of the company, and in many cases I don't know the name of the person listed on the contact (e.g. restaurants, where I've listed the name of the general manager of sommelier). I've looked for a setting on the 650 (and in the Hot Sync software on my PC) that would change the way the contact is stored so it's the same as in Outlook (by the company name rather than by the individual's name), but can't find anything. Can anyone help? TIA.

Todd Serota
    Dude forget buying all this other software. Your phone will do what you are asking. Just do this, In the contacts screen hit "menu" key, goto "options", goto "preferences", select "list by:Company, Last name". Viola you got company! Not to mention in addition to this you can still search for an individual by typing his/her name, first letter of both first name, last name, or just the whole first name, or even the whole last name. Enjoy.
    Last edited by NRG; 03/06/2005 at 02:41 AM.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUES
    If you want to search by company name, one of the best features of TakePhone is it's ability to search using the fields you choose. If you want to search by company name, you can do that.
    No offense but takephone is just awful to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Funny..but true
    Dude forget buying all this other software. Your phone will do what you are asking. Just do this, In the contacts screen hit "menu" key, goto "options", goto "preferences", select "list by:Company, Last name". Viola you got company! Not to mention in addition to this you can still search for an individual by typing his/her name, first letter of both first name, last name, or just the whole first name, or even the whole last name. Enjoy.
    That will solve the Restaurant/ Company issue but now you have created a problem for the individuals. For example I may have company info for my friend John Smith, however I don't care to see John Smith preceded by the meaningless (to me) company that he works for. Now of course if I am interested in a reataurant company listing I can do what you suggest and then if I am interested in a individual listing I can change the settng back to Last Name, First Name, but that would be a lot of toggeling back and fourth every day.

When I scroll through my contacts it looks like this:

ABC Restaurant
    Smith. John

I see Last Name, First Name for the people in my life and I see Company Name for the Companies/ Restaurants in my life- what could be be better? No toggeling.

By the way I agree with not buying the other software.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    That will solve the Restaurant/ Company issue but now you have created a problem for the individuals. For example I may have company info for my friend John Smith, however I don't care to see John Smith preceded by the meaningless (to me) company that he works for. Now of course if I am interested in a reataurant company listing I can do what you suggest and then if I am interested in a individual listing I can change the settng back to Last Name, First Name, but that would be a lot of toggeling back and fourth every day.

When I scroll through my contacts it looks like this:

ABC Restaurant
    Smith. John

I see Last Name, First Name for the people in my life and I see Company Name for the Companies/ Restaurants in my life- what could be be better? No toggeling.

By the way I agree with not buying the other software.
    Right about the listings. But, you can still call up the name just by typing it in as if it was showing the whole name, (i.e. The contact shows as "The Open MRI Center, Smith" you type in "Brett Smith" or just "BS" and the contact comes up.) Or if you have a reason to just browse your contacts aimlessly that is that is your choice. I just don't understand why it is needed all that info on the screen except for aesthetics. Tell me more, why do you need all that info on 2 lines. Just wondering.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I understand you can't easily browse with the Palm database. However, have you tried using the :menu: Find key (on my 600 there's a magnifying glass icon, the 650 maybe different). I use Global Find all the time. Start in the database in which you want to start the search, in your case Contacts, hit :menu: Find and you get a list by first and last name. The search will continue thru ALL databases but you can stop the search whenever you like. I tag contacts all the time in the Notes field so I can find resources easily (auto repair, etc). Maybe this will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tserota

Todd Serota

No offense taken.

Have you tried the hi-res skins ?

Or - you can set it to not show all those buttons, just the search results list ("Display" preferences - "hide on screen buttons")
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    No offense taken.

Have you tried the hi-res skins ?

Or - you can set it to not show all those buttons, just the search results list ("Display" preferences - "hide on screen buttons")
    Oh boy,you weren't supposed to see that. When did the Hi-Res skins come out and where can I see them. I think you have a very powerful piece of software there, I just wish it was a little more pleasent to look at. I guess you can't please all the people, all the time. Still nonetheless very nice piece of software and work.
    Oh boy,you weren't supposed to see that. When did the Hi-Res skins come out and where can I see them. I think you have a very powerful piece of software there, I just wish it was a little more pleasent to look at. I guess you can't please all the people, all the time. Still nonetheless very nice piece of software and work.
    You cant hide from me ... !!! ..... ;-)

The hi-res skin is distributed with the newest release of TAKEphONE (6.50).
    You can get it at www.shsh.com/products

Also - as I mentioned - you can configure it to show only the side tabs, and fill the screen with the search results list.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Actually, the earlier suggestion of not to show the buttons is the best. You can have it display your speed dials in a clean list instead of the buttons as a default. That way when you run takephone you can either start type a name (first, last, company, etc) or start pressing the down arrow to get to your speed dial.