Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm not getting any audio when I playback a video on my Treo650. All the other sounds functions work -- Realplayer plays MP3, the speakerphone works, system sounds work (all too well), etc. But the audio part of my video recordings don't make a sound, even though I have the volume turned all the way up.

I've tested the video file on another Treo 650, so it's not the particular video file.

Can anyone suggest a solution to silent movies on my Treo 650?
    Do you get the same results when trying to attach an audio sample to a stored picture? If so, I'm currently having the same issues, and right now am in the process of trying to narrow down if the culprit is indeed a third-party app. What third party apps do you currently have installed, and which version of the Treo are you using? Who is your service provider?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    Do you get the same results when trying to attach an audio sample to a stored picture? If so, I'm currently having the same issues, and right now am in the process of trying to narrow down if the culprit is indeed a third-party app. What third party apps do you currently have installed, and which version of the Treo are you using? Who is your service provider?
    I just tested that -- yes: My audio attachments don't play back, either. What's also interesting is that recording an audio attachment causes my system sounds to turn back on (I have them set to off.)

I'm running a unlocked GSM Treo. Here are my third party applications:

BackupbuddyVFS
    CleanupInstaller
    ClipPro
    Directory Assistant
    FileZ
    EMTAC (gps)
    mReset
    mSafe
    PalmAid
    pTunes
    SoundRec (works fine)
    TreoAlarm
    TreoHelper
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    But the audio part of my video recordings don't make a sound, even though I have the volume turned all the way up.
    Not sure which 650 you're using, but the Sprint 650 Pics & Videos app has its own volume control that is independent of the side buttons. It's accessed by the speaker icon at the lower right of the screen when the video file is selected.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Not sure which 650 you're using, but the Sprint 650 Pics & Videos app has its own volume control that is independent of the side buttons. It's accessed by the speaker icon at the lower right of the screen when the video file is selected.
    The unlocked GSM Treo 650 also has that independent volume control -- even with the volume set to max, there's no sound.
    Also, I find that when I go into the Sounds & Alerts menu, and then select Tones and attempt to custom record my own ringtone via the New button at the bottom of the page, audio playback is still non existant.

From what I can tell, it's more than likely a third-party app that is causing this. Of those apps you listed, I have: Directory Assistant, FileZ, and pTunes.

Something tells me that it's pTunes related. I distinctly remember my voice recorder was fully functional prior to unlocking my device, and installing any third-party apps, but hadn't noticed the voice recording errors until recently.

The bigger question, though, is whether or not it's the actualy recording process that's failing, or just the playback of said recordings.

As soon as I leave work today, I'll back up my 650, then hard reset it, and attempt to record and playback sound. If it's successful, then I'll install pTunes and then again try to record and get playback. If playback is still successful, then I'll look to the other two apps that we have in common, but I seriously doubt they are the cause, considering they really aren't audio related in any way.

MarkEagle: The Cingular 650 has that same feature. I myself have the sound playback turned all the way up for both video clips and still picture samples. I know that it's not the problem, at least for my device. Good point though. Sometimes the most obvious solution is the right one.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm sure that it's not the record function -- one of the videos plays perfectly fine on my other Treo 650 (which is going back to PalmOne soon because it came with a broke "4" key.)

I'm going to perform a hard reset in a little bit (since I'm pretty much out of ideas) and see if the video sound works without any third party applications on my Treo 650.

The only application that's on my new Treo 650 that isn't on the old one is EMTAC gps -- but that's not on yours. The EMTAC gps program uses voice commands to guide you, so it's also an audio program.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm pleased to report that a hard reset fixed this problem. I now have sound again.

Phew.

--Bill
    Now try reinstalling just pTunes, and then see if playback is still an issue.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Yup: Video sound playback works fine with pTunes. I think the problem has been narrowed dowm to EMTAC.

It's interesting how different Treo users can have the same problem, which appears to be caused by a different third party application.
    Really? I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm happy to hear the problem isn't with pTunes. But at the same time, equally as confusing. Guess I'll just have to hard reset my device and reinstall and test apps one at a time Thanks for the updates.
    I can't figure it out either. I'm thinking it could be by Nintento Entertainment System emulator, "NESEM". Otherwise, I hard reset the Treo 650 then manually reloaded essential programs from back up. Note though that I did not simply move all of them at once but rather moved the main programs and a few select databases and applications.

Now it works fine.

Former culprits that seem to have no problem interfering with the sound playback now:
    PXAclocker
    Lightwave5 Beta
    epocrates
    verichat
    documentstogo
    ptunes3.0.3 deluxe
    My Treo 650 stopped playing sound on video playback. I just wasted 2 hours uninstalling 3rd party apps to isolate the culprit. The cause of the problem was much simpler! I had the ringer button off. When this button is off, it also turns the video play back sound off. Why? Why? Why?