Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I put my Treo straight into a case while I was still in the store the day I purchased it. I have never dropped it, abused it, and for that matter, I use a headseat so I never press it to my head. I purchased a new EB case last week and have difficulty attaching the charger with it in the case. I slide her out of the case tonight and DANG, I have a crack in the housing on the left upper side of the screen and a very small one starting on the right lower......how frustrating! I suppose tomorrow will be spent at Sprint trying to get it replaced
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I've notice cracks in my 1 month-old Verizon 650; I've never had problems with my prior 600(GSM) or 650(GSM). Thankfully I have insurance but there is still a $50 deductable.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Well, I finally got around to checking about these cracks on my 650. I called Sprint, they suggested I call Palm. Palm in turn said to contact Sprint. I called Sprint again only to find out that when I got my Treo, they didn't put my lock-line on it like I had on my 7400. Anyways, they suggested I take it to a store in person. Today, prepared with a printed copy of this forum topic, complete with pictures, I ventured to a local Sprint store. They filled out a ticket and told me to return in 20 min. When I got back, I was told that this is "NOT a known problem" therefore, "since you don't have insurance" I'm basically SOL. Any suggestions where to go from here. There is an obvious problem with the quality of plastic, structure, or something else that is giving our Treo's overnight fault lines.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    how old is it ? What state are you in ?

Politely ask for the manager, explain the problem and ask for a replacement. If he says yes, you're set. If the answer is no, ask for his full name and title "so that you can include it when you file a complaint with the Attorneys General in your state, as well as CA (Palm), PA (Palm Store) and the home state of Sprint. It takes no more than 10 minutes online to file a complaint. Once you're done with the AG, you will move on to the BBB.

If he understands the pain associated with not providing a replacement is far greater than the pain associated with providing one, he will give in.

There is NO reason Sprint should not replace a $600 device that is cracking from poor design / manufacturing - explain that as well...

Even if I had insurance, I would not submit it, as this is clearly a case of the manufacturer shipping a defective product.
    I live in Maryland and purchased it at one of our local Sprint stores June 8, 2005 as a birthday present to myself. It has never been dropped, has been in a full cover case since the day of purchase, and has never been left in extreme condions. I noticed my first small crack a month after purchase....and here it is not even a full two months and I have 3 cracks total. It amazes me that just based on this thread alone, they deny it's a known problem.
    Well I'll be damned. I just noticed this thread, and wanted to post a photo of my stress crack. It is suspiciously similar to many other cracks. As the evidence mounts, I think Palm should step up to the plate and fess up about this obvious defect. I hardly think Treo's across the world all happen to crack in the same fashion, and it isn't a defect.

Just imagine the number of users who have never heard of Treocentral. Bet they have the same sort of cracks (or will get them soon if not already).

BTW, I have NEVER dropped my Treo. It was one of the first ones off the line (bought via Sprint telesales in early November 2004).

Seems like a matter of time before all Treos crack like this. Awesome.

http://home.comcast.net/~eric.tollison/crack.JPG
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 08/04/2005 at 09:59 PM.
    That's exactly where I noticed my first one.....exactly a month after purchase. The second one has appeared on the right side of the screen about 1/3 up from the bottom, and another at the bottom cracking toward the file menu button. Thanks for posting the pic also. Now, how do we go about making PALM realize this is A KNOWN ISSUE?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    This is clearly a manufacturing defect, and they are either unaware of the issue (highly likely) or unwilling to do the right thing.

If you start with 15 or 20 names, addresses and photos detailing the same problem, this will 1. Make them aware of the problem if they did'nt already know about it and 2. make it clear that action will be taken.

Unfortunately, marketing and CS has far less pull than legal. When the issue comes to CS, they deal with them individually - when they come in to legal, the lawyers see the sky falling and over-react.

My sister had a Sony Vaio - the case began to separate after about 14 months. Best Buy wouldn't fix it, Sony ignored her. She filed a suit for the full value with the local magistrate and got a call a few days later asking her what they could do to help her out. She got a check for the full purchase value a couple weeks later. She tried for 8 months to get a reasonable response from BB and Sony and they blew her off - lawyer steps in and overreacts.

I just noticed a small mark in that location on my phone - too small to see if it is a crack yet. My sister has a Sprint 650. One thing is clear, if these phones crack, they will be replaced at no cost to us, one way or another.
    Last edited by pabo; 08/05/2005 at 11:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    btw. I have 2 Cingular 650s. The first was drop kicked across the driveway, and has the marks to prove it. It was one of the first issued, and has no crack. The "new" 650 is clean, and has a crack.

They clearly have a plant or line or machine that is making crappy product. They need to deal with it.

Remember, they could have easily made several thousand case tops with this problem off one machine in one day. It is easy enough (if they did their job) to track the defective product - there should be some kind of time or date or lot number molded into the case, visible on the inside. All it takes is a few units with these cracks with matching lot numbers to prove there is a problem.
    Last edited by pabo; 08/05/2005 at 05:48 AM.
    Anyone with enough net saavy to set up an on-line petition so that we may bring this to Palm/Sprint/Verizon/Cingular's attention? We were talking at work about the iPOD owners and what they managed to accomplish....so what yall think?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    personally, I don't think much of online petitions. This is something they need to be made aware of - my guess is that they don't know the magnitude of the problem.
    However, how do we make them AWARE of the magnitude of the problem. I'm one 'lil old broad in MD with a cracked Treo....they could care less.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    All they really need is to see that 5 or 10 of these are from the same production lot, and they will know the magnitude of the problem.

I actually might have some better info on this next week. Hang in there.
    I've got almost the same crack, but I think mine appeared after dropping it.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I need a couple photos of the stress crack on the upper left side of the screen (at least). pm me with info if you have one you are willing to allow me to pass on....
    That are not cracks in the phone.. That section of the phone is bascily a grey paint/film over clear plastic.

I by mistake put my phone in the same pocket as a couple of drywall screws and the screws scratched the paint off a small area between the sprint and the treo logo. Left behind was what looks to be a clear plastic.

I am not saying that you should not be mad that the paint flakes off so easily but if your marks are anything like mine they are not cracks in the phone just cracks in the pain.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I need some additional info from folks with Treos showing cracks. If you have this issue and are interested in helping out, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by personalt
    That are not cracks in the phone.. That section of the phone is bascily a grey paint/film over clear plastic.

I by mistake put my phone in the same pocket as a couple of drywall screws and the screws scratched the paint off a small area between the sprint and the treo logo. Left behind was what looks to be a clear plastic.

I am not saying that you should not be mad that the paint flakes off so easily but if your marks are anything like mine they are not cracks in the phone just cracks in the pain.
    Mine is a CRACK, not just a scratch as you mentioned. Pabo, check your PM's too, and thanks
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    i left a message for you fairoasis
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    apparently, returns for this problem have just risen to the level where Palm is now aware of the problem.

If you tried to return one of these units before and had no luck, you might want to wait a week or so and try again.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast