Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    CraigG65,

Did palmOne send you a free replacement? I just got mine a couple of days ago and I am starting to see a crack on the plastic that runs along the left side of the screen.

Thanks.
  2.    #42  
    I bought my phone from Sprint. The first one was replaced last week due to the "P" key not working. The second one which I owned for less that 24 hours is being replaced due to the crack. I would suggest you call PalmOne. The more time that lapses the harder of a time you will have getting a replacement.
    Have had mine for about 6 or 8 weeks, and no sign of a crack. I find it hard to believe that first one cracked like that without some sort of impact. I'm not say you caused the impact--could have been dropped at the Sprint store, or even at the factory, but I think it must have taken some kind of abuse.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    yes ,but not on my phone
    Quote Originally Posted by specbz
    yes ,but not on my phone
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... rimshot..... RIM shot!!!!!

My 650 is crack free as well, goin on about 7 weeks.
    Nearly another full day has elapsed and still no cracks. I'll check again tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    Nearly another full day has elapsed and still no cracks. I'll check again tomorrow.
    I thought I saw one coming on today. Alas, it was a hair.

Did anyone lose a hair?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    That looks like one of my old Palm IIIxe's after I put it into my already full briefcase and tried to force the lid closed...
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    hey Creighton those eyes on your avatar should be able to find cracks before they even begin.
    We have a 650 here at my office that is developing a crack just like that one on the top. This user takes pretty good care of his equipment as well.
    I wrecked my first 600 by trying to remove the branded logo (Orange) from the case using adhesive plaster remover (I think it was triclorofluoroethane) and it trickled into the earpiece hole and reacted with the rubber mounting which holds the tiny earpice speaker, this expanded and cracked the case which had also been weakened by the chemical and the thing started to disintegrate just like the one in the top picture... I am not suggesting that you are using this product on your hair or in your ear, but it looks very similar damage... I had to exchange the 600 and pay 80 for the pleasure in the UK. Have you had a think about any chemicals that might have come into contact with it? Dry cleaning fuilds would have the same effect.
    I've seen this on mobile handsets before, usually in the earpiece area. Typically the culprit is thin wall or poor quality polycarbonate plastic housings. Net result is inmolded stress that is extremely sensitive to chemical attack. Oil from your hands, face or ears will accelerate the cracking. The paint on the housing (outside cosmetic or inside shielding ) may also contribute if not plastic friendly.
    GG
    Quote Originally Posted by scudder
    I wrecked my first 600 by trying to remove the branded logo (Orange) from the case using adhesive plaster remover (I think it was triclorofluoroethane) and it trickled into the earpiece hole and reacted with the rubber mounting which holds the tiny earpice speaker, this expanded and cracked the case which had also been weakened by the chemical and the thing started to disintegrate just like the one in the top picture... .

You guys really have WAY too much time on your hands!
    I'm suspecting it may be Rogaine
    Well, I decided to do a search on stress cracks on the 650 and found this thread. I had a 600 from the very beginning and never had an issue. I've attached a picture of my 650, which is cracking in almost the identical way. I didn't even know they were there until I took it out of my skin case.

I'm stopping by a Sprint store today to see if they will exchange it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Funny I just ran across this thread, as just tonight I noticed that my 4th(?) Treo 600 replacement that just came 3 weeks ago suddenly is developing a pronounced crack resembling a "\" from the LH corner near the antenna.

As I have 15 months experience abusing 3 or 4 other 600s, this is either a fluke or a sign of manufacturing defects cropping up. I've dropped, crushed, flailed around the other units and NEVER had any problems with the case. Now, with no known drops or any other stresses (my only pet is a goldfish and young adults) suddenly this one is falling apart right away...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    That's crazy... and frankly... I'm not buy'n it. It's a stress crack alright, but it didn't "just happen", you've definately subjecting this treo to something severe...

This is one thing I won't look to PalmOne for.
    Last edited by tundycentral; 04/05/2005 at 08:21 PM.
    munchhausen - funny s?!t, had to look it up, but funny!
    lol... travelocity has some splaining to do lucy...lol
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast