1.    #1  
    Has anybody tried all three IR Syncing utilities:

WorkpadSync
    Beamsync
    IR Link

I'm curious as to whether one is faster than the others. I've been using WorkpadSync for 9 months and it always seems slow, but I have not tried the others.

I was using IRLink until I heard of BeamSync. IRlink took a while before I was finally able to get it to work with my Dell Inspiron 7500. Sync speed was not as fast as my USB cable, but works fine (I usually sync off my laptop while dialed into my companys RAS server 26400 connection).

I switched to BeamSync (FREE), it worked the first try. I have not had any problems using it so far. I like the fact that I don't have to enable/disable it when I sync from my cradle.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    What version of BeamSynch do you use that allows you to synch from the cradle without disabling it? The version I use doesn't allow that apparently. Either that or I've messed something up.

Ark.
    Originally posted by Arker
    What version of BeamSynch do you use that allows you to synch from the cradle without disabling it? The version I use doesn't allow that apparently.
    I am using 1.0b2

With the new version, just start USB sync while pushing up or down button. (I first heard of this from Taki).

Also see this thread.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
  5.    #5  
    I tried beamsync over the weekend. Even though it says it works (switches) automatically with the serial cradle, I couldn't get it to work.

The serial cradle is so much faster. I wish one of these products was at least as fast as serial...
    Re switching between IR sync and Serial Cradle Sync, I can't do it either. I think it is because my IR port and Serial port both use COM1 and conflict. I need to go into System Properties on the PC, disable IR and enable the serial port to switch to the cradle. A real pain. Does anyone know how to make the serial and IR port co-exist peacefully (on an IBM ThinkPad 390 with W95)?

Re speed: I did a test and timed IR sync at 1:50 and Serial Cradle Sync at 1:49. Both were set to sync as fast as possible. Basically they sync at the same speed, even though cradle sync speed is limited to 57,600 and IR sync is twice as fast at 115,200. Is it possible there is so much overhead in IR sync in totally negates the speed advantage?

I will do a comparison with USB sync when I get to my desktop PC, but not a fair comparison, since it is syncing with Palm Desktop, whereas the laptop syncs with PocketMirror / Outlook.

7.    #7  
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that IBM's Workpad Sync was limited to 56KB or something. Coupled with the IR overhead (I guess), it sure seems a lot slower than serial.