Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Three times since I started using the Treo 650 I have been to the shooting range to practice (my sport is pistol shooting). I take the phone off my belt and put it on the table next to me. I practice about 100 to 200 rounds.

On all three occasions, as I put the phone back on my belt, I found that the phone was frozen.

This is the only time that the phone has frozen in the three weeks that I owned it.

Maybe the phone does not like the shockwave emitted by a 9mm pistol.

The only way to get the phone going again was to take out the battery and put it back in again. A second soft reset from the ZLauncer menu put it back to normal.

When it froze, the phone clock stopped. On restarting, the time in the prefs panel would show a time about an hour or so earlier. I use the atomic clock sync option in WorldMate to get the clock back to the right time.

The 3 freezes could all be a coincidence but, if not, it can be added to the list of things that PalmOne should be working on: How to make the next Treo more robust to gun shot shockwaves...

Just a strange quirk that I thought I should mention to you all. Apart from this, and some problems caused by 3rd party apps, all seems to be well with my new Treo 650.

Regards
    Peter
    the only reason i can think of is that your treo 650 has sign of intelligence...and well when it saw the pistol, i think you scarred it

in terms of freezing though...ive had some vibrational freezes. I do a nice little lob from desk to my bed, and i mean sometimes it doesnt like that
    If you shoot your treo you probably won't have to worry about it freezing up again.
    If the treo were bright it would know the pistol can protect it better than trying to use it for calling for cops when in trouble and hoping they get there (with their guns) before the criminal with an illegal gun harms you...

The issue may or may not involve anything with the pistol. Maybe there is something at the pistol range that messes your T650 up...
    Last edited by darnell; 03/05/2005 at 09:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    LOL Funny... though I never have that problem with my Cingular branded unlocked 650 when I practice with my 45 ACP in the ranges. I suggest you turn it off anyway because unless 650's ringtone can be louder then the pistol otherwise I don't think the phone can do anything lol.
    I always keep my T650 in a shirt pocket, mostly tees, even when shooting.

Never had a freeze.
    This is my tagline. There are many like it but this one is mine.
    I didn't know they had public shooting ranges in BKK.
    I just keep my T650 in my pocket at the gun range, even shooting the desert eagle, which sends shockwaves throughout the building, nothing happend to my 650. I'm going again tonight, I'll set it down on the table and see if it freezes.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBoost
    I just keep my T650 in my pocket at the gun range, even shooting the desert eagle, which sends shockwaves throughout the building, nothing happend to my 650. I'm going again tonight, I'll set it down on the table and see if it freezes.
    LOL which caliber man? 50AE's and 650... oh wow
    Yep, 50AE. I was thinking about it, and I think i'll just test it out with the 9mm to be on the safe side, lol.
    I keep mine in my range bag and have never had an issue.

ctdw
    I put down about 300 rounds of .45 today with mine on my belt...works just fine.

Look at this thread! I wonder how many 650 owners are shooters are well?
  13. lms
    I leave mine in the car when shooting Trap. Phones going off while on the line are not looked upon kindly....

LMS
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I have had my T650 reset itself in fringe/weak reception areas (it is an unlocked GSM version). Maybe the range you are at has bad reception and you're just seeing the same bug I was. After many hard resets and phone calls to India, I am getting a replacement unit. Hopefully it will be better.
    If my range wasn't in a basement where I get no reception on my 650, I'd probably have something more intelligent to add to this thread.

As it is, just another gun shooting Treo 650 owner.
    ...but the range officer requires all cell phones to be turned off.

It powered up and worked fine, though, after I left.
  17.    #17  
    Wow. A lot of shooters are also Treo 650 owners. Someone should inform the PalmOne marketing department. There is a demographic here that they could target (pun intended).
    I remember a thread on the 600 where slamming the door on some cars would make it hangup a call if using the handsfree wired earpiece. If I remember correctly, it was a sound pressure issue. Maybe something along the same lines?

Just for demographics sake:
    2xM1A's for High Power...last Camp Perry rifle has lost it's barrel...tumbling at 25yds, but hey 11k/rds on the factory NM barrel. 2nd is in parts ATM.
    Last edited by Rob600; 03/06/2005 at 01:56 AM.
    Wow...remind me never to anger any body on these boards.
    I suspect it has more to do with the reception (or lack of it) at the range than the shock wave effects.

How's reception at the range?

If you turn off the network only, does that stop the problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast