1.    #1  
    I currently have two wireless accounts, Verizon & Cingular. I currently use a TREO 600 & a Moto V551.

What I'm trying to decide is rather to purchase a CDMA 650 or GSM? I bought the Cingular GSM plan so I would have service while traveling outside of the States.

But in using a bit of Cingulars data service on the V551 if seems to be tons faster then Verizon's data service. I'm also under the understanding that I can buy an unlocked TREO 650 & switch my SIM card between it & the V551?

Comments, suggestions?

TMT
    See the speed results in this thread. Basically in most cases CDMA/Verizon is faster.

If you are concerned about traveling the world though, GSM would be your best bet.
    Here's the results of PC Magazine's experience:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."

In a print article in the current issue (not on web), they do an analysis of cell broadband technology and give the Editor's Choice to Verizon's Ev-DO...problem is, right now anyway, their coverage is only about 1/2 of 1% of the continental US. Map in article shows 21 dots on map but text says 32 cities....My guess is something like Minneapolis-StPaul is being considreed 2 cities. Suppossed to be better soemtime in 2006 but by then AT&Tingular is suppossed to have rolled out a new network also.

Anything to keep us jumpin and guessin I guess.
    I read another article yesterday (for the life of me I can't find the link) that pointed out how badly Cingular messed up the deployment of the 650. (No training to reps about data plans or even how to provision the device etc.)

The one line that I read in the article was by a Cingular exec that said:
    "Cingular customers don't buy the Treo 650, they earn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Here's the results of PC Magazine's experience:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."

In a print article in the current issue (not on web), they do an analysis of cell broadband technology and give the Editor's Choice to Verizon's Ev-DO...problem is, right now anyway, their coverage is only about 1/2 of 1% of the continental US. Map in article shows 21 dots on map but text says 32 cities....My guess is something like Minneapolis-StPaul is being considreed 2 cities. Suppossed to be better soemtime in 2006 but by then AT&Tingular is suppossed to have rolled out a new network also.

Anything to keep us jumpin and guessin I guess.
    So a Cingular 650 with an unlimited data plan would receive free data in 75 countries? With no roaming charges for data?
    Looks like Cingular is featuring the T650 in a new TV commercial I saw last night.

While Cingular will be rolling out new networks in the future their bandwidth will not come close to the 3G CDMA networks Sprint and Verizon will have ready for most of the country by 2006.

Look at the 3G wireless technology pipeline. GSM's pipeline is practically empty of any new standard to offer better bandwidth. Meaning anything better than EDGE is probably at least 5 years away. I knew about EDGE over 6 years ago. (Knew about the 3G CDMA standards too.) All these standards are very old and take a long while to develop and gain acceptance. CMDA's pipeline has a much longer future.
    GSM 650 also has good BT volume. No need for BTmute and other remedies.
    Quote Originally Posted by kattanm
    So a Cingular 650 with an unlimited data plan would receive free data in 75 countries? With no roaming charges for data?
    unfortunately no, it would be charged according to prevalent rates....
    depending on each operators
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I've been a fan and user of GSM for the past few years. I recently decided on a Sprint (CDMA) Treo 650. I travel overseas, but when I do, I have always found it convenient and most cost efficient to get a phone from that locale on a temporary basis. Yes, conceptually, using your phone overseas and having the same number is great. But the roaming costs are often exhorbitant.

Here is the bottom line - at least the one I used. Where will I use my Treo 650 90% of the time? What is the best service (qualitatively and quantitatively) available in that area? Based on this bottom line, I chose Sprint PCS as my provider instead of buying an unlocked Treo and staying with T-Mobile.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. In your area, Cingular may well be the better option. In my area, I may have chosen to stick with GSM were Cingular's rate plans not so stingy and their data plan rates so ambiguous.

Choose well, Amigo!
    David