Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I swear I'm not trolling. Nor am I trying to start some sort of war. But I am looking for convincing reasons why people use GSM (Cingular) over Sprint. I'm considering switching because so many of my friends and relatives are ATT/Cingular users and free minutes would be nice. I could easily eBay my Sprint 650 and sign up with Cingular and break even. My anytime minutes would thank me because I'd be calling within the same network. But my data plan would go up a lot.

Assuming that coveage is equal (in my area both seem to by good), why would I use Cingular over Sprint? The plans seem similar, neither seems to have a huge advantage over the other. But, as a 650 user data is very important and unlimited data is at least $10 more a month with Cingular. I do travel to Europe, but not more than once very couple of years. I know battery life is better on a GSM 650. But to be truthful, my CDMA 650 easily last a full day and I then charge it at night. Does a GSM 650 (or phone in general) have other inherit advantage?
    i travel overseas a LOT....
    GSM is the only way, just slot in your prepaid card in the specific country
    CDMA roaming without paying a brick?! tell me about it
    nuff said
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  3.    #3  
    And that is a good reason. But, for someone who doesn't travel as often, are they any others?
    The other advantages are called (SIM):
    1. You can easily swap SIMs between your Treo650 and a cheap flip phone when you want to rough it by going hiking, biking, jogging, shopping, etc.
    2. Even if you don't do any of these activities, you can have multiple phones using the same number, simply by moving the SIM card from one phone to the other.
    3. You can easily switch carriers without purchasing a new phone. I can switch between Cingular and TMobile all I want.
    and you can get one of those third party sim card switcher....2in1 or 3in1 cards

here's an example:

http://murahbanget.com/images/image2931.jpg
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    GSM phones also have longer battery life and improved performance, so I have read.

But note that the SIM-swapping advantages work only if you have an "unlocked" phone.
    1. You can easily swap SIMs between your Treo650 and a cheap flip phone when you want to rough it by going hiking, biking, jogging, shopping, etc.
    Shopping? good god, where do you shop?

I like GSM because it has better sound quality, and the battery life. SIM switching is nice for when I goto an open bar and know it's going to be a messy night.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    GSM also holds data connections for a much shorter amount of time, allowing voice calls to come through much more often than in CDMA phones. So, if you are online, you are more likely to get a call thrown into voicemail on a CDMA phone than on a GSM phone.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Well besides the more practical reasons listed here, there is the less tangible reason to do so to follow standards rather than proprietary solutions so as to make things more compatible in the long run.

Having said that, I use a GSM phone for all the reasons listed above and SIM swapping is #1 on the list...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Sim swapping
    Edge is faster for data
    If your fam/friends use Cingular, when you talk to them, it doesn't count against your plan.
    How does the SIM Card swithcher work? And, where can I get one?

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by stokar
    How does the SIM Card swithcher work? And, where can I get one?

Scott
    Ummm, I think you pull out the SIM from one phone and stick it in the other. So I guess your hand acts as the switcher. I believe you get those at birth...

The Treo 650 has an easy way to pull out the SIM - its on a tray next to the SD card slot. Other phones you have to remove the battery, and the SIM slot is right behind there.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Ummm, I think you pull out the SIM from one phone and stick it in the other. So I guess your hand acts as the switcher. I believe you get those at birth...

The Treo 650 has an easy way to pull out the SIM - its on a tray next to the SD card slot. Other phones you have to remove the battery, and the SIM slot is right behind there.
    I'm sure stokar meant the one that wolwol mentions in his post above. I've never seen one of those, either, and would be curious as to how they work...
    CDMA has a more efficient handling of phone signals. Because of the design, CDMA can handle more call volume than GSM and has faster data rates.

I choose GSM because I travel outside the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    I'm sure stokar meant the one that wolwol mentions in his post above. I've never seen one of those, either, and would be curious as to how they work...
    He he, helps if I read the WHOLE thread. I don't even know what that is.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    and you can get one of those third party sim card switcher....2in1 or 3in1 cards

here's an example:

http://murahbanget.com/images/image2931.jpg
    What the heck is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    Well besides the more practical reasons listed here, there is the less tangible reason to do so to follow standards rather than proprietary solutions so as to make things more compatible in the long run.
    Agreed. I used to believe Qualcomm's hype about CDMA being superior, and the new standard, blah, blah, blah. Not any more.

Head out of sand
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    You could compre the Sprint and AT&Tingular reviews in PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.....

This [Cingular's) Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk timeóa good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for the replies. And Jack, thanks for that link. They only way I could make the jump is by buying the subsidized (Cingular) version of the phone. That is essentially a locked phone, no? So I wouldn't be able to switch carriers. Would the Cingular phone still allow SIM swapping?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The Cingular phone would not allow SIM swapping, unless you got them to unlock it, which many have been successful at doing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast