Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    CDMA has a more efficient handling of phone signals. Because of the design, CDMA can handle more call volume than GSM and has faster data rates.

I choose GSM because I travel outside the US.
    This is true, more specifically for data. But GSM operators like AT&T/Cingular undoubtedly have more tower penetration to make up for that, so the difference isn't really much of a difference at all. That being said, once Cingular goes UTMS next year, with a higher tower penetarion than sprint, I expect Cingular's capacity to become so cheap that it will really put pressure on Sprint.

As far as I know, there is more GSM coverage than Sprint, in more odd locations.

I switched from a Sprint Treo 650. I don't think the GSM sounds better, but it sounds good enough to me.

One downside I always hated about Sprint, is when there are too many people on the cell you get intermitment coverage gaps as the coverage area shrinks. On GSM, it seems as long as I have a call, I won't hit imaginary dead spots.

Everything has it's pro's and con's. I'm sticking it out to go with UTMS next year. Oh and I like talking to customer service people, who not always smart, at least try to help and can speak english.
    Right, if it's subsidy locked then you can only swap Cingular SIMs. It has to be unlocked to use different carriers' SIM cards, including prepaid
    Higher Resale Value
    I have detailed files.
    Well, I know this is the I (heart) GSM thread, but here is my .02, as I have hundredsTreos, but CDMA and GSM.

Basically, here it is, as of today:

If you are going to Europe a lot, GSM makes sense. However, for occasional travels, just using a cheapy second phone is fine.

So if you are in the US or CDMA areas, Sprint is the way to go.

-Call quality: CDMA

-Covergae: Generally, CDMA, although this is very subjective. In densely populated areas, CDMA is WAY better. Ex. NYC, Sprint works like a charm, and Cingular/ATT is "network busy". GSM does not scale well...just a fact.

-Data: in practice, CDMA. Combined with price, Sprint for sure.

Again, your mileage may vary....most people in my co. got Sprint unless they are going to Europe for extended periods of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasX
    And that is a good reason. But, for someone who doesn't travel as often, are they any others?
    Voice quality is better and I like the ability to just insert my sim into any GSM phone and it works. I remember when I was a TDMA user with ATTWS and whenever I got a new phone, they had to reprogram the new one so calls were routed it....oh, and the GSM Treo has better battery life than the CDMA version.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Sprint has a $5/mth damage/lost insurance plan, but I understand that Cingular does not.
    Here are the reasons I would use a GSM phone:

1. If I traveled outside of CDMA areas a lot.
    2. If I simply did not like Sprint of Verizon. (If I thought their customer service sucked or something like that...)
    3. If I could not get a nice add-on service like insurance or something from Sprint or Verizon.
    4. If GSM had a more promising future than CDMA (which is not the case).
    5. If I could save maybe 50% on my bill for the exact same call plan with unlimited data.

Having said that I am fine with Sprint.
    Well said darnell.
  9.    #29  
    Reason number 2 is a big one with me. Sprint sucks. Everytime I talk to them I need to kick something. My dog would probably thank me if I switched to a different provider. Having said that the people I know on Cingular pretty much feel the same way.

One more question:which verison (price) of Media Works is the equivalent of Sprint's unlimited Vision?
    Last edited by NicholasX; 03/05/2005 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasX
    Reason number 2 is a big one with me. Sprint sucks. Everytime I talk to them I need to kick something. My dog would probably think me if I switched to a different provider. Having said that the people I know on Cingular pretty much feel the same way.

One more question:which verison (price) of Media Works is the equivalent of Sprint's unlimited Vision?
    The $20 one if you can manage to get it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12