1.    #1  
    Ok... I bought my Sprint branded Treo 650 eight (8) days ago. This is a beautiful device. The form factor is outstanding. In short, I fell in love with it and was preparing to put my iMate JAM on eBay for sale.

Don't get me wrong, the iMate is a great device. Using Pocket Mac, I have been able to sync flawlessly with Entourage 2004. Yes, I am one of the few - the proud - Mac owners.

Anyway, I ported my number from T-Mobile to Sprint so I could get the Treo 650. For the first five days, notwithstanding a periodic reset, the Treo was stellar. Calls were crystal clear. The Sprint service has been great. I only installed one program to the main memory - Splash ID. That has worked without a hitch. Everything else (other than Splash - and Solitaire) is on an SD card.

Two days ago, having made NO CHANGES to the Treo nor to my desktop, it Treo stopped syncing with my Mac. This is the exact error message I get from the Hotsync log each time:

HotSync 3.2.1 started 3/4/05 8:05:52 AM
    Local Synchronization
    OK Install
    OK SplashID
    OK Media
    Syncing Address Book
    OK Syncing Address Book
    Syncing Notes
    OK Syncing Notes
    Syncing Calendar
    OK Syncing Calendar
    Syncing Tasks
    An unknown error #268461072 occurred synchronization failed
    HotSync Canceled 3/4/05 8:05:56 AM

I've tried everything. I've even done a clean install of the Palm software as well as the Entourage Conduit. Here's what I got from the last clean install:

HotSync 3.2.1 started 3/4/05 7:10:26 PM
    Local Synchronization
    Installed DocsToGo
    Installed DSLib
    Installed DXTGAttachmentPlugin
    Installed Inhand.catalog
    Installed MMUpgrade
    Installed SheetToGo
    Installed InHand
    Installed SS_P2P
    Installed WordView+
    Installed WP_P2P
    Installed WordToGoFonts
    OK Install
    OK SplashID
    OK Media
    Syncing Address Book
    OK Syncing Address Book
    Syncing Notes
    OK Syncing Notes
    Syncing Calendar
    OK Syncing Calendar
    Syncing Tasks
    An unknown error #268461072 occurred synchronization failed
    HotSync Canceled 3/4/05 7:10:48 PM

So, what else is there to do? I love the Treo and was hoping for a long-term relationship. But I enter a lot of data throughout the day and I have to sync regularly. If I can't find a solution, I'll have to take the device back on Saturday or Sunday and port my number back to T-Mobile.

Someone suggested getting Missing Space. But I'm concerned that I'll pay $40.00 and the problem with syncing will not be solved.

Hey Guys, any help would really be appreciated. The Sprint techs don't have a clue. I want to keep my Treo. Please help. Thanks.
    David
    You using bluetooth, by chance?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon
    You using bluetooth, by chance?
    No, I'm connecting via USB.
    David
    Hey there - on a whim, I did a yahoo search on "268461072"

I found this website and darned if it didn't talk about syncing a palm with a mac. This e-mail was in the list:
    Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:37:25 -0700
    Subject: Follow-up on Bluetooth, Palm m505 and Palm Desktop 4.0

After much effort I've almost gotten my Palm to HotSync via Bluetooth. Basically, I had to uninstall Palm Desktop 4.0 first, remove the Palm folder from my user Documents folder (contains the actual data from my Palm) and reinstall the Desktop application. This seems to have fixed the "unexpected end of file" error. I then HotSync'd via cradle first to get all the data from my Palm back onto my G4. But when I went to HotSync via Bluetooth, it seems to always disconnect prematurely. The log shows partial sync and the message:

Unexpected error 268461072.
    Lost the connection with the handheld device. 4/15/02 7:04:17 PM

I've tried this several times, each time it would disconnect before completing the HotSync.

Someone mentioned possible interference from Airport networks, so I'm going to shut off my Airport Base Station as well as deactivate other 802.11b devices and see if that helps. Will report on that soon.

John

That message was about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way down. Anyway - I haven't looked further for an answer but thought you might want to start there.

Best of luck.
    Sorry - here is the website link.

And, dam*, I thought the bluetooth might be the problem...hmmm...

http://www.macintouch.com/bluetooth.html
    Whatever is causing your issue is after trying to sync tasks.

Please do a hard reset then, go into your Palm directory and DELETE the folder with your name in it. Or just rename the folder with your name on it.

Then please install your software ONE by ONE, but after each install, do a sync.

Can someone perhaps do a SYNC and see what usually syncs after tasks.

It is either what SYNCS after tasks or a task is corrupted.
    Are you using Datebk5?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdldy

Please do a hard reset then, go into your Palm directory and DELETE the folder with your name in it. Or just rename the folder with your name on it.

Then please install your software ONE by ONE, but after each install, do a sync.

I'm searching through the documentation as to how to do the hard reset. If anyone knows, please let me know.
    David
  9.    #9  
    Are you using Datebk5?
    No, I'm not using Datebk5.
    David
  10.    #10  
    Sorry - here is the website link.

And, dam*, I thought the bluetooth might be the problem...hmmm...

http://www.macintouch.com/bluetooth.html
    No bluetooth, but I do have an Airport Card (WiFi) that I added a few days ago. Maybe there is something to that. I'll shut that off for a moment and see what happens.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by defii
    I'm searching through the documentation as to how to do the hard reset. If anyone knows, please let me know.
    def...

to hard reset. push reset under batter cover. hold your radio button (red phone icon) until you see the palm logo with circle around it. then release red phone button and you will see a question asking you to push up to hard reset.
    One more thing...

Checked what comes after Tasks in a HotSync and it is Contacts.

Maybe one of your contacts is corrupted.
  13.    #13  
    I turned that off and it didn't make a difference. So I guess the only way to go is via a hard reset. I hate having to go through that, but it looks like there is no alternative.

By the way, I forgot to mention that every time the synchronization is aborted, the Treo resets.
    David
    Do you have your Local Network Time enabled? I know this have caused some issues with syncing but only with PCs. But it's worth a try.

Another alternative is to disable syncing your Tasks but if you don't want to do that then maybe use Backupman or Backupbuddy to backup your Treo. This will back up your Tasks along with everything else. Although Backupman has issues backing up your pictures in RAM. Not sure about Backupbuddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by defii
    If I recall correctly, you hold the power button down while using the stylus to press the reset button. As the unit resets, keep holding the power button down until you see the "palm powered" logo.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdldy

I followed these instructions and it synchronized again. Thanks to you - and to all who took time to help. Now I just have to re-enter the categories and event locations that the Entourage conduit doesn't transfer. I wish I understood what happened. Am I going to have to do regular hard resets?

On another note, any of you use Missing Space? Does it offer any significant improvement over Hotsync? Thanks again!
    David
    I use Missing Sync. i know other people have said they have problems, but I have never had a problem with Missing Sync by Mark/Space ever. I have always used it with my Palm devices. I've never used Pocket Mac though so I don't know.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by girlieleep
    I use Missing Sync. i know other people have said they have problems, but I have never had a problem with Missing Sync by Mark/Space ever. I have always used it with my Palm devices. I've never used Pocket Mac though so I don't know.
    Girlie, do you know if it replaces all the Hotsync functions such as software installation etc?
    David