Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Update 1:

Well, I've changed my opinion of the EMTAC GPS software: The map software that comes with the unit is over a year old (you get a message about that when you enter in an address that's not in the database) and, as far as I can tell, map updates are not part of the package.

Update 2:

I think that the EMTAC software also cause another problem: It muted my camera's video playback, so that vidoes on my Treo 650 had no sound. I had to do a hard reset to get sound back. Video playback was fine before I installed the software.

-----------------------
    Original post:

My EMTAC Navigator Palm Bundle for Treo 650 arrived today and I'm pleased to say that it works -- and works well. The GPS receiver/software package has a moving map that moves and voice prompts that actually tell you which way to go.

I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it, but here are my initial observations and impressions:

* Software installation was a bit of a problem. I had to install the map and voice files manually, but tech support was able to guide me thorugh that. (It's easy once you know which folders on the SD card to install which files to.)

* I installed the application (about 280k) on my Treo's internal memory and the voice and map files on an SD card. My 512 meg SD has all of the states from Virginia to Maine plus California on it, with room to spare. You can choose which states to install.

* Installing the application in internal memory and the data on an SD card is probably the right balance of speed and memory utilization.

* There are no maps for Canada on the installation discs.

* The voice prompts are given by a woman with a definite British accent. She speaks clearly and doesn't scold you if you make a mistake.

* Entering in your destination is easy. Just type in the address and go. The EMTAC Navigator Palm Bundle for Treo 650 software is supposed to let you enter in an address dircectly from your contacts, but that caused my Treo 650 to reboot.

* I don't know if or how map updates will be available.

* The map itself is clear and easy to read.

* The bluetooth GPS is very tiny and uses a rechargeable lithium battery. Battery life is said to be 6 hours.

* Satellite acquisition is fast. (Faster than the Bluetooth GPS that I use when I pilot an airplane.)

* The map display also lets you know when you've lost satellite coverage or the Bluetooth connection.

Overall, the EMTAC Navigator Palm Bundle for Treo 650 seems like a very worthwhile hardware/software package for Treo 650 owners who do not have a GPS installed in their cars or who rent cars often. The small screen on the Treo 650 is limiting, but not a big problem. We have a moving map GPS in our car, which does not let you change destintions while the car is moving -- with the Treo 650/Bluetooth GPS the non-driver can change destinations, etc., while the car is in motion. If you're planning a drive that's more than 5 or 6 hours, you do need to take along the GPS unit's cigarette lighter charger.

I'm using an unlocked GSM Treo 650 on Cingular.

--Bill
    Last edited by badler; 03/05/2005 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler

* I installed the application (about 280k) on my Treo's internal memory and the voice and map files on an SD card. My 512 meg SD has all of the states from Virginia to Maine plus California on it, with room to spare. You can choose which states to install.
    For my laptop my favorite was always Precision mapping with the entire US on one single CD. Fitting the US on 512 MB or ess seems to be where this has got to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    For my laptop my favorite was always Precision mapping with the entire US on one single CD. Fitting the US on 512 MB or ess seems to be where this has got to go.
    I've got the entire US on my SD card with TomTom (1 GB SD card). Both the app and maps reside on the SD card, taking up 50K in memory.

I'm curious how EMTAC compares to TomTom. I've only had experiences with Mapopolis (had it for a year or two before upgrading to TomTom) and TomTom. TomTom is the best Nav system I've had, built-in or not. Very impressive.

Have you had a chance to see both? I'm very curious about some of the comparisons.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I've got the entire US on my SD card with TomTom (1 GB SD card). Both the app and maps reside on the SD card, taking up 50K in memory.

I'm curious how EMTAC compares to TomTom. I've only had experiences with Mapopolis (had it for a year or two before upgrading to TomTom) and TomTom. TomTom is the best Nav system I've had, built-in or not. Very impressive.

Have you had a chance to see both? I'm very curious about some of the comparisons.
    I'm going to be moving into a 1 gig card, soon. All I had was a 512 meg SD card around, but it looks like the entire US map will fit onto a 1 gig card.

I haven't seen the TomTom or Mapopolis system, so I can't compare them to EMTAC's software.

Does TomTom include Canadian roads?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Can you recieve calls when Navigation is running? I know you cannot have a bluetooth headset operating simultanously, but would a wired headset work?
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHETZEL
    Can you recieve calls when Navigation is running? I know you cannot have a bluetooth headset operating simultanously, but would a wired headset work?

I did test the software and you can receive calls while it's operating. But I found too many problems with this GPS software (see my first post, now edited, for details) and I took it off my Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I just received TomTom Nav. 2004 yesterday. I believe that if you recieve a call while navigating, you get bumped out of the program and when you return, you have to route your trip over again. I wish it worked a little better than that, but it is still not a bad package at all.