Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    http://www.mobilepcmag.com/reviews/2..._Treo_650.html

PalmOne Treo 650

If you just went out and bought yourself a PalmOne Treo 600, don’t read this review (unless you like feeling like a chump). With a faster processor, a better keyboard, and a titillating high-res screen, the new Treo 650 is so much better than the 600, it’s like comparing a sports car to a melon cart. The only downside to this smart phone is that it’s going to set you back another 500 bucks.

Though it looks identical to the 600 at first glance, PalmOne has polished the 650 to a fine sheen. Two more buttons — Home and Menu — sit above the four existing buttons by the five-way nav pad, speeding navigation without getting in the way. The volume controls on the side include a “confirm” button, so you won’t accidentally change the volume settings every time you pick up the device. And the camera on the back now sports a vanity mirror to help you with self-portraits. Best of all, the battery is now replaceable, so you needn’t resort to drastic measures (like sending in the Treo for repair) if the battery goes kaput.

The new keyboard is worlds better than the 600’s. The lower-set keys are easier to locate and hit, even if you have enormous, mushy thumbs (as one of our editors has). Behind-the-scenes software also does a great job of determining which key you intended to hit if you push more than one simultaneously. Our review unit had an overeager P key, which registered a strike every time we so much as brushed it, but we tried out another unit, and its keys worked perfectly.

The higher-resolution, 320 x 320-pixel display on the 650 makes the old 600 screen look like a defective Lite-Brite. Terribly bright and sharp, it gives you much more room for viewing images, documents, or web pages. Though you’ll still have to do some scrolling to surf the web comfortably, browsing is far better than with the Treo 600 (or just about any other PDA), and the included browser does a much better job of formatting pages to the screen than the previous version.

The camera has the same resolution as the earlier Treos’ (640 x 480 pixels), but it snaps better pictures, and it captures video with audio. While the pictures are not frame-worthy, they’re fine for MMS. You can also attach a portrait to contact listings, so when your deadbeat cousin calls to borrow money, you’ll see his ugly mug on the screen and you can ignore the call.

Talk time has increased to four hours and 28 minutes, mostly because the screen now dims during long calls (with earlier Treos, it stayed on). The boosted processor offers better performance, and the Treo got a reasonably strong score of 179 in our PalmGauge benchmark, falling between the Zire 31 and Tungsten T5 in performance. The Treo 650 is also a speedy browser and e-mail fetcher: It loads pages quickly, and we downloaded 100 e-mails in less than 50 seconds. However, there is a bit of lag in the phone functions that may cause you to double-tap, which launches and then ends your call.

Fast, functional, and fun to use, the Treo 650 is not just a great step up from the 600 model, it is perhaps the best smart phone in existence. Buy it. –Roger Hibbert

Best Feature: Rocking screen is light-years beyond earlier Treos'
    Worst Feature: Occasional lag during dialing

PalmOne Treo 650 CDMA
    Price: $499 with a one year contract
    Weight: 6.3 ounces
    Size: 4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 inches
    Specs: 312MHz XScale processor; 32MB of RAM (23MB accessible); 32MB of ROM; 800/1900MHz CDMA; 320 x 320-pixel, 2.6-inch touch-screen TFT; SD slot; Bluetooth; 0.3-megapixel camera; lithium-ion battery; Palm OS 5.4
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    That article is why I looked into the 650, and eventually found this place. Awsome.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    I really agree.. This has to be THE best smartphone. I had the 600 and thought it was great except for the screen. People stop me on the street, or for instance tonight at the mall and asked if it was the "new palm phone", seems like more and more people recognize or know this phone, which is great. A co worker has a 600 and now cannot bear to look at it after seeing the screen on my 650. At times when I am using it I still can't believe how beautiful it is. Sure palmone left out a few things, but I guess thats how they'll get more buyers and upgraders to the 700.This is by far the smartest smartphone, and am very happy with my selection.
    Don't let "tundycentral" see this thread!!
    HaHaHaha
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    The higher-resolution, 320 x 320-pixel display on the 650 makes the old 600 screen look like a defective Lite-Brite.
    That's just uncalled-for. Yes, 320x320 is better than 160x160, but I think statements like that add fuel to the fire of the whiners who protested after the Treo 600's release that it was unusable and doomed (sound familiar?) because the screen was low-res.

When I got my Treo 600 about a year ago, I was coming from a 320x320 device, and I was still blown away with how much more I could do with the Treo. My wife still has a 600, so I can compare the screens side-by-side, and yes, the 650 wins. But if I had to pick the "killer feature" (for me) on the 650, I'd have to say bluetooth. I'd much sooner give up my hi-res eye candy than I would my wireless, auto-answering headset and wireless GPS.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    I'd give up bt for 320x320.. But guess what we don't have to. lol
    There's a lot to read in-between the lines in this article. They seem to have two 650's and one has the "bad 'p' key" syndrome. What is the odds of that, if it isn't a pretty serious issue? Also, note the "glossed-over" comment about dialing delay and the propensity to hang-up on a call that it causes... Also, not a word about memory issues, voice-dialing via BT, neutered DUN, VersaMail crashes, etc, etc. Guess it depends on your objectivity (or how well-informed you choose to be)... Does pa1mOne advertise heavily in said publication?

Todd/Indy
    a coworker just bought a 600. that screen IS like a lite bright...uglyyyy. ive been a clie user for the last couple of years and there isn't a way that i could have gotten used to the 160x160. i waited a LONG time for the 650 to come out and one thing that did not disappoint is the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    There's a lot to read in-between the lines in this article. They seem to have two 650's and one has the "bad 'p' key" syndrome. What is the odds of that, if it isn't a pretty serious issue? Also, note the "glossed-over" comment about dialing delay and the propensity to hang-up on a call that it causes... Also, not a word about memory issues, voice-dialing via BT, neutered DUN, VersaMail crashes, etc, etc. Guess it depends on your objectivity (or how well-informed you choose to be)... Does pa1mOne advertise heavily in said publication?

Todd/Indy
    Although the 650 rocks on many fronts, this article is one sided. I think it is imperative that professional reviewers are objective and throughly research and use the product before reporting on it. Meaning find and disclose the negatives as well as the positives. This way their competence and reliability is not brought into question.

One more reason why when I'm looking to making a tech purchase, I Google the product and look for multiple reviews before I invest, to better enable me to make an informed decision.

I am also especially interested in consumer reviews and forums!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    the latest pdanewletter reviews the 650 (and chatter mail):

http://www.geek.com/pdageek/newslett...da03052005.htm
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    a coworker just bought a 600. that screen IS like a lite bright...uglyyyy. ive been a clie user for the last couple of years and there isn't a way that i could have gotten used to the 160x160. i waited a LONG time for the 650 to come out and one thing that did not disappoint is the screen.
    I'm afraid to say that I can't look at my 600's screen anymore after having my 650 for a couple of weeks. It does look like a lite-brite to me now.

I also think that these reviews often fail to mention capabilities that are offered through third party software (e.g. push email, voice dialing, etc.). They tend to only look at built-in apps when comparing smartphones which is not always an accurate comparison...
    Might as well read this one while ya at it

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    That's just uncalled-for. Yes, 320x320 is better than 160x160, but I think statements like that add fuel to the fire of the whiners who protested after the Treo 600's release that it was unusable and doomed (sound familiar?) because the screen was low-res.

When I got my Treo 600 about a year ago, I was coming from a 320x320 device, and I was still blown away with how much more I could do with the Treo. My wife still has a 600, so I can compare the screens side-by-side, and yes, the 650 wins. But if I had to pick the "killer feature" (for me) on the 650, I'd have to say bluetooth. I'd much sooner give up my hi-res eye candy than I would my wireless, auto-answering headset and wireless GPS.
    I would have purchased a Treo 600, but I already had a Tungsten T2 and couldn't bare to go back to the lower res screen. (And the T2 worked well with my LG phone via a cable.)

I guess it just depends how important a particular feature is to you.

I'm glad I waited ... in the end Bluetooth became quite important to me.
    If you guys think looking at your old Treo 600 is bad just think what I am seeing when I look at my old Treo 300. sheesh. No comparison.
    Rees