Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. Anyone else having problems with the volume on the unlocked GSM phone. I compared side-by-side with a Cingular model today, and the results were sobering....on the Cingular phone, voices sounded wider and louder, with less noise than on the Unlocked model (used with T-Mobile).

On the Cingular, I could use the phone a notch or two down on the vol...on the Unlocked w/TMO, I had to have it punched all the way up to max, and even then, it didn't sound quite right.

Likewise, saw similar distinctions on the speakerphone...both had hiss, but the Cingular was less so than the Unlocked...

Anyone else having these issues?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPTreo
    Hi all. Anyone else having problems with the volume on the unlocked GSM phone. I compared side-by-side with a Cingular model today, and the results were sobering....on the Cingular phone, voices sounded wider and louder, with less noise than on the Unlocked model (used with T-Mobile).

On the Cingular, I could use the phone a notch or two down on the vol...on the Unlocked w/TMO, I had to have it punched all the way up to max, and even then, it didn't sound quite right.

Likewise, saw similar distinctions on the speakerphone...both had hiss, but the Cingular was less so than the Unlocked...

Anyone else having these issues?
    I have been able to tell the difference between the unlocked version and the Sprint version which I am currently testing out as well. Its a real shame, I have tmo service and the signal seems to be better everywhere I go on the tmo Treo but the volume on the earpiece/speakerphone is terrible. Between that and not having any insurance on the phone if anything happens, Im about to jump to Sprint.
    Well, I have a Cingular branded phone and the call volume is poor. Maybe one day there will be a fix...
    mine is unlocked. Some calls sound loud others are ok but it doesnt seem to bad and i like my phones to be loud. There is a slight backgrount fuzz but its very weak and does not bother me. Im going to wait to see if a patch fixes this and the resets or im going to demand a replacement in a coulpe months.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    maybe its a firmware or rom version thing?

I have firmware 01.14 software Treo650-1.05-ROW
    I got my first unlocked 650 two weeks ago. I had problems with hissing and low volume. Got P1 to send me another this week and this one is just as bad. I love the 650 as a PDA/email port but as a phone it sucks !!

I don't know whether to send them both back or wait for a firmware/rom upgrade from P1. I just don't think P1 has there act together. It's a shame, this could of been some little machine.
    Same here - unlocked 650 GSM. Everything works well but the volume is very low. I have the Treo BT headset (Jabra 250 from PalmOne) and the volume is excellent.... but the phone itself very low.

After one exchange already, I will wait for a fix from PalmOne and not return this too. I suspect they know this is a problem and will fix it in the near future with a downloadable upgrade.
    Only way to be semi-scientific about this is to compare Cingular service on a Cingular 650 with same Cingular service on an unlocked GSM. There is too much service difference from carrier to carrier and from place to place to be able to compare realistically - different amplification levels, different local network equipment etc.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked PalmOne Treo 650, and the earpiece volume is way too low. I keep it on Maximum all the time, and this is just barely adequate (when I'm indoors with no other noise). In a car, or noisy outdoors place, it's not useable. I've compared this with two other unlocked gsm phones on the same network, good signal, same location. The Treo is just broken.

On the other hand, if I plug in a wired headset (Panasonic boom mike of decent quality) the volume is very very loud unless I keep it to the lower 3 bars.

If P1 doesn't issue a firmware fix that addresses this, I'm going to send it back and get a replacement. This is ridiculous for a $700 phone...
    Well I am pretty sure the hardware is same on cingular and unlocked the only difference is the firmware. I bet if you flashed the unlocked with cingular rom it would fix it although thats would be crazy.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The volume on my unlocked GSM seems fine.
    Firmware: 01.15
    Software: Treo650-1.06-ROW
    I'm using an unlocked GSM Palm1 650 on Cingular. The unit is, in general, outstanding.

But, earpiece phone volume is marginal at best and often unacceptably low, with an annoying hiss.

Volume in the Jabra 250 earpiece is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    The volume on my unlocked GSM seems fine.
    Firmware: 01.15
    Software: Treo650-1.06-ROW
    Glad you're not having any problems but enlighten us a bit and tell us what provider you use.

I have an unlocked GSM on T-Mo and also have volume problems. I need to jack up the volume to hear even in quiet environments.

Firmware 1.14, 1.05 ROW
    Quote Originally Posted by Xochi
    I have an unlocked PalmOne Treo 650, and the earpiece volume is way too low. I keep it on Maximum all the time, and this is just barely adequate (when I'm indoors with no other noise). In a car, or noisy outdoors place, it's not useable.

On the other hand, if I plug in a wired headset the volume is very very loud unless I keep it to the lower 3 bars.

If P1 doesn't issue a firmware fix that addresses this, I'm going to send it back and get a replacement. This is ridiculous for a $700 phone...
    Well said. Ditto!
    I have volume problems as well. Annoying last week when I was on a bus and I couldn't hear. Seems there is a firmware difference. 1.15 (no problem for TxDot) versus 1.14 (mine and others with problems.)

Can more people report their firmware version and if they do or don't have volume problems with their unlocked GSM. If version 1.15 fixes the problem P1 should release an update for those of with version 1.14. How hard is it for them to do that?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I am with the majority here. I use the unlocked GSM version and the volume in the earpiece and speakerphone is usually but not always too low. The inconsistency is perplexing to say the least. Confusing matters even more is the fact that the volume is fine via a wired headset. There is a hiss of sorts mind you particularly at higher volumes. I sure hope there is a firmware fix coming for this.

I love the device but I'm pretty disappointed in the performance of the phone. P1 is close to getting it right. They would do themselves a favor by addressing this quickly. The pain of this and other 'bugs' will eventually pass Wall St's threshold where it will become an investor concern. P1 is highly dependent on the success of this device so they can't afford a PRPRPR $disaster$.

Bill
    I don't know what P1 is doing, but my original 650 had version 1.14 and the replacement has 1.14. Why would they send me the same version knowing that the 1.14 has problems with low volume and hissing ????
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have low earpiece volume:
    PalmOne Unlocked GSM
    Firmware: 01.14
    Software: Treo650-1.05-ROW
    Hardware: A
    Low volume also :

Cingular 650
    Firmware: 01.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG
    Hardware: A
    Anyone with the new 1.15 firmware not having low volume issues? This is the only thing holding me back from a 650 at the moment.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast