Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's been discussed a lot, not only is the volume in the earpiece extremely lacking but the speakerphone is almost WORTHLESS unless in a completely silent room.

Shi**y for a $600 phone.
    1 | 2
    My speaker volume is excellent. Sometimes when I can't hear a caller using the earpiece I simply switch on the speakerphone and spin the phone around in my hand so the speakerphone is to my ear. The mic is at the bottom so spinning doesn't affect your voice pickup. Just a simple workaround when I don't want to use my headset.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    Low volume also :

Cingular 650
    Firmware: 01.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG
    Hardware: A
    I have the same version of firmware and software and I have volume problems as well. Have you figured out what ethe problem is?

Bruce
    Same deal - unlocked on Cingular network - volume problem with phone and speakerphone - works fine with earphone - very frustrating given how much I like it otherwise - seems it ought to work well as a phone first!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Just seems like more and more I'm about to jump to Sprint since I can hear things loud and clear on their 650.
    I really hope this issue can be addressed with a self-service firmware/ROM upgrade. I'm encouraged by the fact that speaker can produce very loud sounds so it would seem not to be an electronics issue rather a software/firmware issue.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xochi
    I have low earpiece volume:
    PalmOne Unlocked GSM
    Firmware: 01.14
    Software: Treo650-1.05-ROW
    Ditto here, but Cingular reception sucks.
    I had the same problem with both a Cingular 650 and the replacement. Low volume and a hiss. Tech support said he hadn't heard of other people having this problem (when I spoke with them about two weeks ago), but I'm thinking he was pretty clueless. I already sent them both back, so I can't check the firmware.

I've been thinking about buying a new unlocked 650 to see if it's any better. Frustrating to say the least. But narrowing the problem down to the firmware would be a start. I don't know that I could be a Treo user without this forum!

(Former 180, 270 and current 600 user)
    I have a Cingular branded 650 that I bought through Palm. I also have Cingular service. Volume levels for phone, speakerphone, and Jabra BT 250 are all excellent. Purchased in early February.

Firmware: 01.01
    I called P1 tech support today just to see what they would say about my/our problems with volume. Outcome was very interesting. I called P1's US number (same number I ordered my unlocked GSM from) and after waiting on hold for a while I got through to someone who wasted a lot of time taking all my information only to redirect me to P1 Canada tech support when he found out I was calling from Canada. I then proceeded to call P1 Canada and got through (more quickly I might add) to a support person. The person again took all my info. After explaining my problems with the volume she put me on hold came back and said I should try doing a soft reset of the phone. I told her I had already tried that. She put me on hold again and came back shortly to tell me that I would have to send the phone back for replacement. She said they would use their 'advance replacement program' where P1 would first send me a new 650. It sure sounded like she was told by someone that replacing the phone would solve the problem. My read is that they will replace the phone with one with newer firmware. She could not confirm that. She said I will have the new phone in 3-5 days. I'll be away unfortunately for the next 14 days so I won't be able to report until then.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    It's been discussed a lot, not only is the volume in the earpiece extremely lacking but the speakerphone is almost WORTHLESS unless in a completely silent room.

Shi**y for a $600 phone.
    Interesting. I have two Cing Models, Using Speaker phone on 1, when you speak loudly the sound chops up on the other end. But the other one works fine at any volume.
    I just received my replacement unlocked Treo 650 from PalmOne. The original one was getting an error: "“HALRadioAcDc.c,Line:441, Host wake not asserted in time” which Palm Tech Support identified as a hardware issue. The new one arrived yesterday and, by 2 pm today, had already had three resets, each one generating the same error message. Palm is sending a third unit.

Apropos of this post, the new unit I recieved yesterday has the updated firmware (1.15). The earpiece volume and speakerphone are still unacceptably low. The speakerphone is barely useable.

The reality seems to be, at least for me, that the Treo 650 is just not very good at being a phone. My Moto V551 was very, very good at being a phone, and I find this very annoying, to say the least.
    Does any one kno what the difference is betweeen software versions Treo650-1.05-ROW and Treo650-1.06-ROW on an unlocked gsm?
    I don't know if it's possible, but I am currently visiting Ireland, and my unlocked 650 seems to be louder on Vodaphone here than at home on Cingular.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by winebrat
    Glad you're not having any problems but enlighten us a bit and tell us what provider you use.

I have an unlocked GSM on T-Mo and also have volume problems. I need to jack up the volume to hear even in quiet environments.

Firmware 1.14, 1.05 ROW
    T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    After posting earlier that the volume seemed fine I must say that I'm noticing a background hiss like bmcmullin mentioned. I wouldn't say that the volume isn't lond enough but the background hiss is disconcerting. If I was on this phone all day long I would not be a happy camper.

Also find the speaker phone volume to be ridiculously low. Of course I rarely use the phone in this manner but still I expect to be able to use if I want/need to.

A Sprint update is supposed to be out within the next few days so hopefully a GSM update won't be far behind.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have low earpiece volume:

Cingular 650
    Firmware: 01.04
    I initially purchased the Sprint T650 & returned because of poor reception, volume, etc. Got a Cingular T650 & same problem happened before & after unlocking it. I find funny that the speaker volume is great when the phone rings & also using Voice dial for example (don't they use the speaker?), but is so lusy during calls.

I suspect there is a hardware problem w/ the phone portion rather than software. But, I am not a tech person.....

Simon
    My brother and myself got unlocked GSM phones- same problem here. Really low earpiece and speakerphone volume even at maximum and excellent volume with bluetooth headset.
    This is definetely a universal problem affecting most if not all unlocked GSM headsets. Palm1 has to realease a patch. Hope hardware is able to go louder.
    I think it all comed down to one question: is it falty software or hardware?

If it's the former than we can relax, keep our phones (provided they are not deficient in other respects) and wait for un updgrade/patch. Not so sipmel if it's the latter. The phone will obviously need to be exchanged, the quesition becomes "when: return and wait or keep and wait?". That is a personal decision.

At this time I don't think there is enough evidence to conclude one way or another. Or is there?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast