1.    #1  
    I just downloaded and set up the Chatter trial with Fastmail and GMail. Like everyone else, I am in love with this application. I have one question though. Since calls on CDMA phones are forwarded to VoiceMail while data is active, i.e. while the arrowsare green, is there any way to shorten the amount of time the active connection is held?

The couple of emails that I've sent and received while testing this out shows that the arrows stay green for a fairly lengthy, 30 seconds or so, amount of time. If I receive a lot of emails, then it seems as though voice calls will have a hard time getting through.

How do the Sprint Chatter users handle this? I am evaling this for my company to use for several people, me included, and I need to find how best to handle this.

Thanks everyone!

Mike
    Hey Mike,

I think that situation is inherent to CDMA technology. Us GSMers dont have that problem. Clalls come through fine even when the arrows are green.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    It's true that CDMA systems hold the data connection open longer than GSM systems. Most people will limit their online folders to one or two, but there's not much more that can be done. GSM phones still occasionally lose calls to VM, but it's must less frequent. (Eventually, 3G systems will allow simultaneous voice and data, but that's probably a year or so off for most of us.)

Marc
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    It's true that CDMA systems hold the data connection open longer than GSM systems. Most people will limit their online folders to one or two, but there's not much more that can be done. GSM phones still occasionally lose calls to VM, but it's must less frequent. (Eventually, 3G systems will allow simultaneous voice and data, but that's probably a year or so off for most of us.)

Marc
    Marc,

If I have a bunch of online folders, like ten, does that increase the connection time, even if there is nothing to sync?
    YES. You should only have folders online if they receive mail that you want to find out about ASAP (that's a first pass).

Marc
  6.    #6  
    Okay. I figured that, but I wanted to check.

So, how does Chatter know when new email has arrived if it does not keep a constant connection open? Obviously, having it run in offline mode and performing quicksyncs forces it to check at those intervals, but how does it do it in "push" mode? You mention idle mode in several places in the manual, but just what does that mean, and how does it work?

Sorry for all the questions, but this program really seems like a Godsend for someone like me that wants a Treo and not a Blackberry. I just want to make sure I have all the answers when I talk to my company.

Thanks again!

Mike
    It does keep a constant connection open; but the data channel is only used when there's activity, and the activity is initiated by the server (therefore, it really is "push").

Marc