Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I started the day off at 99%...used the phone maybe 4 or 5 times, watched a few videos (no longer than 2 minutes)..checked vm once or twice, and now the meter reads 79%....Is this normal?

I swear my battery life was better than that. I did charge all-night by accident about a week ago, could this have affected the battery some way?

I dont think charge all night will do anything as it will go to trickle at capacity of the battery. The phone itself should not have wasted battery that quick as I can use it all day, Verichat, voicemail, conversations, movies, and mp3s and will have about 65% by the end of the day.

I found that if you leave a constant data (GPRS or 1xR) on all day the battery seems to drain a lot faster.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Bridges!

How do I disconnect? And how do I know I'm STILL connected?

Sprint 650 user here
    You mean you went the whole day and used 21%? (8-6pm?). That's not bad.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidjoe Guy
    I started the day off at 99%...used the phone maybe 4 or 5 times, watched a few videos (no longer than 2 minutes)..checked vm once or twice, and now the meter reads 79%....Is this normal?
    Any chance that your GPS function is/was activated? Does the little target icon at the top of the Phone screen have a slash through it (deactivated) or not? If the GPS is activated, battery life will be reduced substantially.
    For unlocked it is device preferences->network->disconnect
    You might also want to look into turning off the Beam Receive under preferences and Power. I usually go home with about 60% battery if I start the day with a full charge and I use Chatter E-mail which keeps a constant data connection going. This may be stating the obvious, but reducing the brightness of your screen also has a huge impact. I've found that for most situations I don't have to have the screen brightness turned up very high. The screen cetainly looks better when its brighter, but when I know that battery life is going to be at a premium, I turn it way down. It may help to get those last few minutes in when you need them.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    For unlocked it is device preferences->network->disconnect
    Done. Let's see if this works.

So now that it's off, what will I have to enable it for? internet? chat? any data service?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    You might also want to look into turning off the Beam Receive under preferences and Power. I usually go home with about 60% battery if I start the day with a full charge and I use Chatter E-mail which keeps a constant data connection going. This may be stating the obvious, but reducing the brightness of your screen also has a huge impact. I've found that for most situations I don't have to have the screen brightness turned up very high. The screen cetainly looks better when its brighter, but when I know that battery life is going to be at a premium, I turn it way down. It may help to get those last few minutes in when you need them.
    Well, the day is winding down over here on the west coast and I'm at 71%. I figure I'll be using it for something by days end, so we'll see.

If I end up at 60% then I'll be alright knowing that it is...."the norm".

I guess the day I left it plugged in all-night made me over analyze things for the the next few days.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by copwriter
    Any chance that your GPS function is/was activated? Does the little target icon at the top of the Phone screen have a slash through it (deactivated) or not? If the GPS is activated, battery life will be reduced substantially.
    No, that's always enabled. How do I disable that?
    What do you mean about turning off GPS? I have the little target icon (Sprint 650) with no slash through it, but I've never seen an option to turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by markinbright
    What do you mean about turning off GPS? I have the little target icon (Sprint 650) with no slash through it, but I've never seen an option to turn it off.
    Go to the Phone screen and press the Options button. Select Options|Phone Preferences. The second checkbox is for "enable location privacy." That will shut off the location broadcast and put a slash through the location icon at the top of the Phone screen. It also saves power. I was told by a Sprint rep (so take the advice for whatever you think it's worth) that the location signal cuts battery life in half. I do know that I am getting much more life out of the battery than is being reported here by other users. I also have the IR receive option turned off.
    I last charged Monday and I am at 58%. BT off.....3 or 4 calls a day. Perhaps 60 minutes of PDA usage / day.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I last charged Monday and I am at 58%. BT off.....3 or 4 calls a day. Perhaps 60 minutes of PDA usage / day.
    Hmm I'm starting to wonder about my battery too now. I usually leave for work around 830AM and unplug my phone from the charger. I rarely use my phone throughout the day since I'm mostly at work till 6pm. Once in a while I will use to check email, text, and just to check up on it(its my baby). Or sometimes I get calls on it but only for about 5 min. After work I may use the phone to make like a 10 min call, but thats not too often. By 9pm I'm at 70%. I don't have BT or IR enabled. No autofetching of mail either. Before I use to have atleast 90% by 9pm. I guess I'll need to do some troubleshooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidjoe Guy
    I guess the day I left it plugged in all-night made me over analyze things for the the next few days.
    I leave mine charging all night nearly everynight. I would imagine that once the battery is fully charged it only receives a trickle charge from there-on-out. I've all but resigned myself to the fact that I'll never go more than two days on a full charge under normal use. I don't even worry about it anymore. If the battery eventually goes out, at least it's easily replaceable now.
    i unplugged my phone this morning at 930am EST with 100%, and well i just got home now, and at 1:00am EST i was down to 44% and of course i charge it every night
    I just got my treo a week ago and I am concerned about the battery life. I do outside sales work so I'm constantly on my phone. Sometimes 5-10mins sometimes 30+ mins. I charge my phone every night but by late afternoon I'm down to about a 30% charge. I use BT alot(I drive alot) and I know this drains battery life. After reading this post I shut off the tagert icon, are there any other suggestions to saving battery life? How do shut off the IR beam option?
    Kill Joy, I think your best solution would be a car charger, BT and phone will drain any phone battery quickly. Leaving the screen on during a call will also suck it dry.
    thanks, scudder....I'll check that out, but will the constant charging have an effect on overall battery life. Meaning, if I use the car charger will I shorten the amount of charge the battery can hold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kill Joy
    thanks, scudder....I'll check that out, but will the constant charging have an effect on overall battery life. Meaning, if I use the car charger will I shorten the amount of charge the battery can hold?
    The Treo battery is a Lithium Ion battery, there is no significant memory effect, meaning that charging the battery before completely draining it should not affect the battery life. That having been said, even Li-ion batteries have a useful life. Suffice it to say, after a year of use with a car charger, you will probably see some reduction in battery life. I doubt it will be much different than what you would see if you used only the desktop charger once a day. Plus, at the least the battery is easily replaceable now, so you can always buy another if need be.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast