1.    #1  
    Hey all,

This is only my second day checking out this site, but I can already see that it's extremely useful. Keep up the good work!

I don't have a 650, but I'm interested in getting one. Here's my situation:

-I have been with Cingular (through work, really) for a while now. It looks like they'll remain my service provider.
    -I currently have a Nokia 6230, which is a good phone as a phone, but which I don't seem to be able to get and send email on.
    -Currently, I'm able to download my phone numbers from the Nokia to my Mac, and I'd need to be able to continue that.
    -I'd really like to be able to send and receive email on my phone!
    -My email is set up through an AOL account.
    -I'm on a Mac running the latest OS X software.
    -I still rely on a Palm III for all of my datebook needs (I like the ease of use of Palm software, hence my interest in the 650).
    -Internet access via a mobile device would be nice.
    -I use my phone often. I don't use it out of the country often at all.

Given my "scenario" and the fact that I feel that I need my Palm datebook (but that I think it would be great to have a phone and Palm device all-in-one), does the 650 make sense for me?

If I'm comfortable with using a Palm device, will I be "equally comfortable" (eventually) with a 650? Or, is there something about the interface that I'm missing [that will take a lot of getting used to]?

Would you say that the email feature on the 650 work smoothly, or is there a big learning/hacking/software-downloading curve?

I guess I'm hoping that I get a lot of infomative "go for it!" responses, as this looks like an awesome gadget.

Thanks for any and all help, folks!

-K
    The Treo is indeed is an awesome device. I upgraded from a BlackBerry and am not looking back.

For email, though, the included program (Versamail) is a little bit, shall we say, BUGGY! It has so many things wrong with it I don't know where to begin.

You can give it a try and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, there are plenty of other solutions. Snappermail gets mentioned often here. If your mail service supports IMAP, then Chatter is definitely the way to go (www.chatteremail.com). Cingular also has its own version, called XpressMail. If you do a search you will find lots of pros and cons on that one.

Bottom line is that mobile email on the Treo 650 is a reality, and the cool thing is that you have many options to choose from.

Also, check out the Newbie Cingular FAQ I put out there. It will make your Treo 650 purchase much more enjoyable, I hope.

Good luck!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The email issue is well documented, but if you use AOL you can check it via the browser. tje only thing I check versamail with is my sprint pcs mail. try it you will like it
    keocera 7035>> treo600>> treo650>>700p>>755
    Notalent, but I make up for it with lots of practice
    Just be sure to really research to see if it meets your needs since you're using AOL.
    When people here talk about the applications they use to check mail, they don't apply to AOL.
    The only way you'd be able to check your AOL mail on the Treo would be to use the web browser and go in that way.
    To follow-up on my own post . . . I just read in another thread from sheridan268 that AOL now has a "Mobile AOL" program you can purchase, presumably for the Palm. That might be useful to you.
    The phone cost 79 bucks for you..as a cingular customer...thats spillage...just get it!

here's your aol solution...AOL for Treo 650

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=76262
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    The phone cost 79 bucks for you..as a cingular customer...thats spillage...just get it!
    Whoa, you're kidding me, right? How do you figure? If a Treo 650 will only cost me $79 as an existing Cingy customer, then I'm all over it! (But that can't be right, can it?)

Thanks for the responses, folks!

Another question... Will my Cingular SIM card that I'm using in my Nokia work in the Treo 650 (seemlessly)? I'm only just starting to understand the whole locked vs unlocked thing (based on what I've read here), and I'm trying to read as much as I can, but...

Thanks!

-K
    I went from a Sony-Ericsson to my Treo, and I just popped the SIM card out and put it in.
    You can get one for 79 at Mobilefly if your plan is expiring soon and dont mind being locked in for another 2 years. As for the SIM, you can transfer it over, no problem because it is a Cingular SIM...