1.    #1  
    I have an att treo, where can i get the patch to fix the tin can effect?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    The voice patch is a custom ROM update that is not a novice change. You can screw up bad! Here is a link to the developers site for more info. http://www.shadowmite.com/
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT try to use the patch at shadowmite's site. It is for the Sprint phone ONLY. You could destroy your phone if you try to use it on your att 650.

There's no patch for the GSM version.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    No way to just download the Voice Patch without going through an entire ROM change?
    That is correct.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    There is no voice patch for any GSM version period. Do not use the Sprint version that is out.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    sooo if i get a GSM Treo 650 i'll get the same tin can problem as the first CDMA 650s?

Damn it
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    oops sorry I missed that little att in front of the treo!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I used to have a Sprint 650 and now have an unlocked GSM 650. The problem on the Sprint was that for some the person you called said that they couldn't hear you well. It wasn't so much a tin can as garbled when there was a background noise. To you on the Treo it sounded fine.

I have not seen reports of this on the GSM version. On the GSM you get a little more background hiss, but I've heard this on every GSM phone I've ever had including the Treo 600, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and Motorola phone. It's more the technology than the phone.

The only sound issue I have on the GSM unlocked 650 I have is that I wish the earpiece volume was a little louder. The volume on a bluetooth headset is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    sooo if i get a GSM Treo 650 i'll get the same tin can problem as the first CDMA 650s?

Damn it
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  9.    #9  
    thanks for the dvice, I guess when i try using speaker phone people complain that it sounds like crap so I figured tha maybe thee was a patch for this. People have complaint about low volume when using the phone without speaker phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk

Damn it
    a big NO.

For those GSM owners with the tin can problem, you don't need a voice patch. You need a replacement unit!

I don't have a problem with my GSM Cingular locked T650 like many others. There are some defective units out there and you probably have one of them.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Replacement units don't help. I am on my second replacement, which is ready to go back to P1. What version of firmware do you have? It seems that all 1.14 versions have the low volume and hissing problem. The people that say their phones are OK have a very low standard on how a phone should sound. I have had about 10 GSM phones over the years and none have come close to being as bad as the 650 is for voice quality.

I am getting one more replacement teamed up with an expensive bluetooth headset to try and solve my problems. If it doesn't work after that, I am giving up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Replacement units don't help. I am on my second replacement, which is ready to go back to P1. What version of firmware do you have? It seems that all 1.14 versions have the low volume and hissing problem. The people that say their phones are OK have a very low standard on how a phone should sound.

I am getting one more replacement teamed up with an expensive bluetooth headset to try and solve my problems. If it doesn't work after that, I am giving up.
    I have the locked Cingular Firmware1.04, Software 1.02-CNG

Can't compare my standards with you but mine is definitely OK, for me anyway, and I I've had a few stand-alone cellulars before the Treo's came out. In my business I'm on the phone all the time so it's critical that I do have a good phone.

By the way if you are buying a BT headset, I found the Sony HBH-660 better than the Palm Jabra 250 or the Motorola H810(?). Got mine from ebay's Dan's Cellular for $77. I hardly pull out the Treo from its case anymore.

By the way, when you get yours, try this, don't hang your headset in your ear but hold it in your hand as if you are using a very tiny cellphone. People go nuts and are in awe and wanted to find out where they can buy a small phone like mine! Then I show off my Treo and it's MP3 player, camcorder, Kinoma DVD player,camera,voice recorder, photo albums,slot machine & klondike games, etc.. well that's another story.

Good luck with your new replacement.
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 03/06/2005 at 12:01 AM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Are you able to see who is calling? Also, does it ring in your earpiece immediately when somebody calls? Can you hang up from the earpiece also?
    Quote Originally Posted by syage
    Are you able to see who is calling? Also, does it ring in your earpiece immediately when somebody calls? Can you hang up from the earpiece also?
    Only shows the number. It rings in the earpiece almost immediately (before the second ring on the Treo)and yes you can hang up from the earpiece.

Here's another crazy episode I went through - had my Treo on the mute while I was with a client and the BT headset was on my ear. A call came in and of course I heard the faint ring on the headset but the client did not hear it. I decided to take the call and started talking while my client was reading a document. You shoulda seen the look in his face when I started talking!!! It was a riot.....
    Ed