Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have seen several posts on Splashblog, but none that are specifically designed to enhance it's functionality for users. Please post all suggestions here.

1. Allow Picture title and caption to show from home screen. I hate having to click on each individual photo to see the title and caption.

2. Allow treo videos to be posted as well

3. Possibility for a one button photo enhance before uploading? Similar to what the Palm Desktop allows.

4. Password protected blog sites! Don't want the whole world to see!
    I e-mailed them about my thoughts already, but in brief:

1. Password protection: yes, please.

2. It'd be nice to be able to set up my account from a desktop to fire off e-mails with a canned message to multiple recipients every time I update the site. Seems the whole point of this is the joy of instantly sharing experiences with people AS THEY HAPPEN. How do we let people know that the site has changed, without having to use our Treos to e-mail every single one of them.
  3.    #3  
    Good ideas! Keep em' coming! I too emailed them and received a response within 24 hours indicating that they would add the ideas to the list of features to consider in an upcoming release.
    Hello All,
    Just thought I'd throw some SplashBlog feedback your way, since there are a lot of questions and suggestions. I'm heads-down, working with the SplashBlog team, so I don't get a chance to visit these places often, so I have to say up-front that you might not hear back from me quickly, if you have questions about the following. :-)

Pretty much everything that is being suggested is on our list of considerations for SplashBlog. More website styles, audio/video, posting to other sites or your own site, features for linking to content on splashblog.com, password protect site, etc.

We're going to be releasing an update soon - maybe tomorrow - which addresses some issues - nothing major, except an issue where the date is off between the handheld and the server.

About file management... We will be adding capabilities to support better file management, so you can specify what you want on the handheld versus the website. Also, some features for clearing disk space when needed.

A couple people asked about how SplashBlog is different than posting to TextAmerica and other "moblog" sites. There are many sites that offer essentially an "email photo" feature which posts something to the website. SplashBlog is much more than that. SplashBlog allows you to manage the content of your site via the handheld, without the need to go to the website. It also allows you to have a local copy of your blog on your handheld so you can see what is currently being shared online, view other people's blogs, etc. You can edit a photo caption in SplashBlog, sync, and your website will be updated with the new caption. You can create Categories and organize your photos into the categories on the handheld, sync, and they are organized on the website. I don't think you can do any of this, currently, with those moblog sites, from a handheld.

So, before I check out... Comments feature? More website styles? Portal page to see most recent posts, popular blogs, and featured (celebs!) blogs? Yes, these things are all on our list with everything else.

Of course, I can't promise anything, but I can confirm that we will continue to add to the product to make it more useful, and to more people.

Thanks for your support, suggestions, and everything!

Todd Schomer
    Program Manager
    SplashData

PS: We've seen five babies born via SplashBlog sites, just in the last month! Too cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schomer
    Pretty much everything that is being suggested is on our list of considerations for SplashBlog. More website styles, audio/video, posting to other sites or your own site, features for linking to content on splashblog.com, password protect site, etc.
    This is what would get me to buy SplashBlog. I already have a web photo gallery (Gallery on a PostNuke site).

FTPing to the server is easy, but trying to add the photo to Gallery via a web browser just isn't possible. I've read about methods of emailing which strips out the attachments, but it requires ProcMail, which my host doesn't support/allow.

So I'm still searching for an option that would allow me to do this without syncing to my desktop and then uploading. Splashblog looks nice, but I've already got a site and don't need/want another.

At a minimum, it would be nice to be able to put the page/code on our own server instead of having use SplashData's servers.
    Hello All,
    PS: We've seen five babies born via SplashBlog sites, just in the last month! Too cool.
    Loved this comment Todd! Thanks for the heads up on the progress and the inside peek!
    - always ill, but highly intelligent -
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    Videoblogging from the Treo would be awesome. Put me down for a Yes vote to that.
    I am trying SPlashBlog and like it. Any reason to not buy it and get HBlogger from NormSoft instead?
    In my opinion, text should be seen before photos. Each entry should be seen on the main page as text entries, with photos shown when a text entry is clicked.

Also, there is no way to enter text only, as far as I can see. I believe that text is far more important than photos, although photos are necessary too.

Variable size text would be nice as well, so that when viewed on a phone, you can get more text on a screen.
    Yes adding Video would be great.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Just read posts #1 and #2 in this thread and want to echo the same requests. Those are exactly the features I would consider the most useful enhancements.
    Hello All,

Just a quick note to mention we released version 1.5 of SplashBlog. It's a must-do upgrade, because we upgraded the server - so you need to upgrade in order to continue working with your splashblog.com website.

We added group blogging - you can open up your blog to allow other users to add/edit/delete. We also updated splashblog.com to show the most recent photos posted, and most visited blogs.

There's so much more coming... I wish we could get it out to you guys all in one shot. But this is it right now.

If, for some reason, you're still using version 1.0 and didn't get 1.02, we added a bunch of file management stuff to 1.02 you're missing. This is all in 1.5, along with some more changes to creating new blogs and subscribing to others. Give it a look. We're having a blast with this app. And other people seem to be having fun with it too, from the looks of their blogs.

I lost count of how many babies we have seen born on splashblog.com. It has to be about 20 now, which is really neat - to see such a live event being blogged!

Back to work for me.

Todd Schomer
    Program Manager
    SplashData
    1. Yes we have mentioned this in an other thread, but this one seems to get answers. 2nd. Video.....! Thanks...for the info.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I just came back from Seattle with over 140 photos, which is way too many 640 x 480 photos to upload via my Treo. So most of my my suggestions involve uploading photos via the Administration site on my PC:

1.) Upload more than 5 photos at a time via computer. I just came back from Seattle with over 140 photos. Uploading them in groups of 5 was tedious at best.

2.) Upload into a category. This applies to the PC control panel and the Palm handheld program. After uploading 140+ photos one-by-one, having to change their category individually was annoying too. I should be able to switch to a category in the programs and upload directly into it instead of categorizing each photo manually.

3.) Why are the first photos I uploaded at the bottom? Photos should be uploaded top to bottom, not bottom to top. My photos are always backwards and I never remember to reverse the order when I'm uploading.

4.) Easy way to re-order / sort photos. Sometimes the upload doesn't go right and I want to fix the order of the photos. A Netflix-like interface for reordering the photos would be appropriate.

5.) Hotsync synchronizing. If I'm plugged into my computer I shouldn't have to use Vision to sync my blog.
    Last edited by aldamon; 05/22/2005 at 10:09 AM.
    Rhino, video support is definitely on the list.

Aldamon, good feedback - thanks! Here's mine:

1. Uploading large numbers of photos. Yes, it would be nice to have an easier way to batch 'em up. We were thinking maybe you could zip all the photos into one file, upload that file, and the server would uncompress it and add all the photos in one shot.

2. About categorizing when you upload. In the Palm app, if you have a category selected and you add a photo, that photo gets posted to the matching category on the website. If you're uploading via a web browser, you can assign a category to each photo via the upload UI on the web page. If you don't see it, there is a checkbox up to the right - Show upload details. This expands the page to show more fields for the items you're uploading. You still have to choose the category for each one, but at least you can do it for the upload process and not later. Maybe we should take the category popup menu up a level so you choose it for all photos being uploaded...

3. Why are the first photos listed on the bottom? Well, that's a traditional blog way to sort the content with the most recent post at the top. We've been brainstorming about a preference of some sort that would allow you to reverse the sort. Or, within a group - such as a "group by day" - maybe we could reverse the sort. So, this would list the most recent day at the top of the page, but within it, the thumbnails would be listed from the first photo taken, to the last, within that day.

4. As per reordering photos. We organize the photos by the date they were taken. If, for some reason we can't get that date, then we organize them by when they were uploaded. Maybe there is some better UI we could create on the website for reordering them. I'll check out the NetFlix UI if I can. From what I remember, that UI might not work well when you have 700+ photos (like I do). I don't know if I still have an account there. I got tired of them, many years ago, not having any of the movies I wanted to see. How can you not have Blues Brothers and Fletch - two of the greatest movies ever made? :-) Put it on the Underhills...

5. Sync with your photoblog via HotSync. Nice idea. We do have a SplashPhoto desktop application and synching capabilities. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to use that technology, or even merge the two products. Hmm...

Thanks, guys!

Todd
    Hi Todd,

It seems we (my wife and me) have maxxed out on the available Splashblog space What are our options? FYI: we're the number two on the most frequented splashblogs (http://splashblog.com/handheld). We also hold the number eight spot on our other (user group related) Splashblog: http://splashblog.com/palmclub
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    2.......Maybe we should take the category popup menu up a level so you choose it for all photos being uploaded...
    That's exactly what I'd like to see. Changing the category one at a time works for small batches of photos, but not large blocks.

4. As per reordering photos. We organize the photos by the date they were taken. If, for some reason we can't get that date, then we organize them by when they were uploaded. Maybe there is some better UI we could create on the website for reordering them. I'll check out the NetFlix UI if I can.
    Netflix assigns a modifiable Priority number next to every movie in my queue. That makes it very easy to move movies up and down the list, even with tons of movies in the queue. I doubt it would be difficult to implement something similar in the Splashblog control panel so I could move photo 134 to position 112 if necessary.

As for 1, 3, and 5, fair enough. Thanks.
    Todd,

Any update on the possibility of updating to other sites other than Splash Data's?
    I have a feature request:
    The main use of SplashBlog is that you can take pictures from your Treo and upload them from there. However, there are times when the camera auto light balance fails and makes the subject dark because the background was lighter. Could you guys add a light balance to the camera function so that pictures look better without the need to edit them on a PC first.

Thanks,

Al
    Thanks Todd, keep up the good work.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast