1.    #1  
    Hi

I would like to know which doc viewer is the best.
    I downloaded Aportisdoc, and tealdoc. I need to purchase one of them but I would like to know which one you all like the best because I do not want to purchase all of them when one will do the job.

Alex
    Originally posted by alexstjo
    Hi

I would like to know which doc viewer is the best.
    I downloaded Aportisdoc, and tealdoc. I need to purchase one of them but I would like to know which one you all like the best because I do not want to purchase all of them when one will do the job.

Alex
    I use cspotrun, mobiReader, and peanutpress. all free.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I use CSpotRun. It's free and easy to configure. There are plenty of good free DOC readers out there.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    another vote for PeanutPress.

http://www.peanutpress.com

Jeff
    I use both iSilo free and CSpotRun. iSilo free allows reading of both AportisDoc and iSilo format, and the iSilo Web program for the PC allows conversion of html and .txt files to iSilo format. BUT...I noticed the formatting of EponymsDoc doesn't translate properly with iSilo free, and it does with CSpotRun.

iSilo free allows you to categorize documents but CSpotRun doesn't.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Cool!

I've been using an expired version of the trial because I didn't get around to paying the shareware fee and I didn't know there was a free one!

Embarassing story: I was attending a public hearing when I accidentally launched iSilo and the "this is expired" dialog made it's really loud alarm sound! Lucky for me, no one seemed to notice.

[Edited by PDAENVY on 08-23-2000 at 02:44 PM]
    Jeff
    I have purchased iSilo. I also use Peanut Reader, free. Recently I started looking at MobiPocket (http://www.mobipocket.com), also free. The current build I have (3110) has some minor problems, but it has some great potential (It handles HTML files with images).
    ----------
    Okay, I just re-read the Software license for MobiPocket. It states that after a 90 day trial period:
    If you don't derive profits from the use of this Software, [...] you are granted a license to use this Software without any license fee.
    [Edited by potter on 08-23-2000 at 03:38 PM]
    Another vote for Peanut Reader.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    I still like smartdoc. Granted it's not free, but I like that you can create and edit docs with it. In addition to reading books on it, I can create short docs (like a work log/list or such) then convert it over to word later. Also for reference docs, in lieu of unerlining a pertinent piece of text, I'll go in and change the font to, say bold-large, then I can find a passage quickly later. One program to read and edit. Just my 2 cents.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...
    I used to use CSpotRun, and it is a great program. Peanut Press's reader is decent as well.

However, I now primarlly use SmartDoc, for many of the same reasons mentioned by a previous post - it lets me modify the doc on the fly on my Visor, and I can then save it back into Word.

If you want to view MS Word documents, another good program is Docs to Go by DataViz. It keeps most of the formating of the Word document (and also has a viewer for XL files). You can't modify them, but it works well. It isn't cheap however.
    I tried CSpotRun, SmartDoc, and RichReader and liked SmartDoc best, mainly because it is both a reader and an editor. It's intuitive to use and has a lot of good bells/whistles for not an awful lot of money.

bertbert
    I use a comination of TakeNote and iSilo. TakeNote is for everything that I have to edit and iSilo is for things which i dont need to edit. I am waiting patiently for iSilo 3.0 which is rumored to have WYSISYG html editing. isilo is good because it is very compressed and it works off of html files so bold/italics/bookmarks are all there, in conjuction with iSiloWeb, there isn't any thing beter .
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    If you're looking for a reader only, Data Viz's Documents to Go is a great choice. It converts documents in Word, WP and others as well as Excel spreadsheets to a format readable on the Visor/Palm. It preserves many of the formatting options like bold, italic, bullets etc. It will also read documents in doc files and just about any other format (so far I've been able to read anything downloaded in any of the other formats (peanut press etc)). That includes documents converted with the Aportis PDF converter.

You can't create docs in it (but can on your desktop) and it will automatically update any changes you make to the document on your harddrive.

Of course, you also have to pay for it.
    -Michael-