1.    #1  
    I would like to resurrect the idea of having a MP3 selection of choice play for a caller who is put on hold. This was originally brought up when the 600 first came out, and I can't believe that we still don't have software to do this yet. See thread below for more detail.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...old+music+boss

"Ok, this is more of less humor, but seeing there is a MP3 palyer and all, it would be pretty slick to be able to put a phone call on hold (while you look for some thing or ask a question) and a song comes on while the person is on hold. Perhaps a program that you can select a predetermind song, and it's played while in hold.

So your on the phone (Treo600), your boss calles, he/she needs some improtant info, you don't want him/her to hear you cuss and sware as all the cluter in your desk is being gone thru to find this info, so you put them on hold.

Treo- Ring Ring..
    you- Hello
    boss- Bob here, I need the TPS report..
    you - Ok, hold for a second whilst I find it.
    Treo- Beep..(and then plays) "The Girl from Ipanema"
    You- Ok, I found it...I'll fax it to you
    boss - Thanks, BTW, cool phone.

Like I said, I am just being silly and thinking outloud, but ut woiuld be kinda cool.

The bundled MP3 player says it can play in the background. As well as play WAV songs...Too cool

Don't shoot me, Matt "
    it would be neat...i think something like that would have to be provided by your carrier...like Tmobile has those songs that you hear when you call a tmobile customer...instead of hearing a phone ringing...you hear a song of choice of the tmobile subscriber...
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  3.    #3  
    I still feel that the current Treo 650 is capable of this. Would be interesting if some developes would chime in their 2 cents on this topic. Also, are there current Treo owners interested in a product like this and how much would you pay for this functionality?

I would pay $10.oo for this easily.
    i wouldnt pay anything, i guess i dont care much for the people i put on HOLD lol

but it would be neat.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  5.    #5  
    EXACTLY. To my knowldedge, it would be the only cellphone capable of providing this type of feature. Would definitely be something that would make your callers say "WOW! That Treo is one slick phone!"
    Maybe even a Treo commercial? Hey let's pitch it to PalmOne.....or ToySoft? Shadowmite?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  7.    #7  
    you could have a different hold music played by category - personal vs. business - or specific for an individual caller. Sounds like it could be interfaced into existing call management / ringer programs -- CallFilter, CallShield, Lightwav......

Anyone else interested?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    That sounds really sweet. I don't really put anyone on hold, but I could add it to my list of programs I have installed, sound cool, but never use
    You kidding. If it worked, I would call people, then call myself from another phone just so I could put them on hold.
  10.    #10  
    If you had a really good MP3 for the hold song, people would ask you if they can stay on hold!
    im no developer but it seems to me this coulndt be done. In order for them to hear soemthign from your phone the active conection would have to be with them not the person your tlakign to. Its the same thing with all other phones with call waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuro
    im no developer but it seems to me this coulndt be done. In order for them to hear soemthign from your phone the active conection would have to be with them not the person your tlakign to. Its the same thing with all other phones with call waiting.
    True... but you can still put someone on hold without transferring to another call waiting line. All you would need to do is stop the microphone from picking up noises and then play a song like it's comming from the microphone to the person on the other line. That would work.
    this would be cool....
    Hypothetical:

You put someone on hold. The line (provider side) gets redirected to another "hold line" (a dedicated line that only plays a set of music that is configurable from the web). The person on hold can either dial tone commands to the hold line and have some limited control over playback (Volume, next track, track name). Then you take them off hold and the lines gets redirected to your cell line.

that's how I would see it working. this method would ensure somekind of quality of sound and would be decentralized which would alleviate the much dampered Treo Processor.
    T-Mobile offers 'caller tunes' now which replaces the ringtone the calling party hears with a tune of the subscribers choice. I think something along this line (carrier provided, subscriber controlled) would be the only real solution to this.
    Should this feature ever be developed, and I hope it does, users who work for large companies would need to be certain that their company is licensed to use any copyrighted music for music-on-hold applications. The music copyright owners have what is called an exclusive right of public performance and music-on-hold generally requires a license.

Technically, anyone using the feature may need a music license (from ASCAP or BMI, depending upon the music used), but the music copyright owners may have some practical difficulties enforcing their rights against individual mobile phone users. Of course, you can avoid even a technical violation by using music that's in the public domain (e.g., Mozart, Strauss, Stephen Foster, etc.).
  17.    #17  
    I would like to resurrect the idea of having a MP3 selection of choice play for a caller who is put on hold. This was originally brought up when the 600 first came out, and I can't believe that we still don't have software to do this yet. See threads above for more detail.
  18.    #18  
    bump