Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    where is the promised update for nvfs?.I bought treo because of this promise by palmone but until today they have been very quiet. Anybody have any info on this..maybe expected release date. My treo is badly running out of RAM. (yes I have move all to SDcard)
    I didn't believe it for a second. They won't fix in a couple months what has been a part of a standard filesystem for the past 10 or so years.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by mdalim
    where is the promised update for nvfs?.I bought treo because of this promise by palmone but until today they have been very quiet. Anybody have any info on this..maybe expected release date. My treo is badly running out of RAM. (yes I have move all to SDcard)
    Aren't you use to being lied to by now ?
    ?? The new memory architecture exists only on the T5 and Treo, no? I had no idea these systems were that ancient...

Quote Originally Posted by Real-ity
    I didn't believe it for a second. They won't fix in a couple months what has been a part of a standard filesystem for the past 10 or so years.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    This is going to be like the update that enabled the Treo 180 to use GPRS. It's going to be a long time coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    ?? The new memory architecture exists only on the T5 and Treo, no? I had no idea these systems were that ancient...
    The flash memory is formatted with a FAT based file system if I recall.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Well anyone who has not done so, get your free 128MB SD card from PalmOne.

And if an update can be made it will come.

Just like the old T600 SMS update. Takes them some time to get it out IF it can really be done.

Kind of like the Smurfs walking in the woods. "Is it much further now?" YES IT IS!
    To me, the "memory issue" is a non-issue. If you have an SD card and a program that allows you to run apps from the SD card, there is no problem with memory whatsoever.

PalmOne went halfway to the fix by giving out the free SD cards. If they gave us the $10 application like ZLauncher, that would be the rest of the fix. Either way, they don't need to fix it. Its fixed.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    mvt...the memory issue goes beyond the amount of memory available.
    Then I don't get it. I thought folks were upset about how the 650 interprets data and the filesizes are much larger. What else could you be upset about? That PalmOne promised more memory in the 650 and it ended up being the same? That's NBD.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    the way the dynamic heap memory management causes crashses in Blazer, Versamail and various 3rd party aps as the amount of available dynamic heap memory diminishes. Only fixed by a soft reset. This is straight from the palmone knowlege base. There are more complex bugs that I cannot explain. Just ask programmers like blue nomad, bits n bolts, velocityware, hobbyist software, Jeff Gibson, Shimon of shsh, etc.
    i use zlauncher and i find that a lot of apps will not run off the sd card. and all that do take an extra couple of seconds to load off the card. so the time to load is a little lame, but more serious is that you can easily fill the palm's internal memory with apps that are incapable of being moved to the card.

how very hard could it have been to impliment 1gig memory into the thing? if they can squeeze upwards of 2gigs into an sd card wasn't the room available for internal storage?

at this point the processor is faster than my first dell laptop, but the memory is still a fraction of that.
    ^Don't believe it was a matter of physical space available inside the device, they cut the corner because it would be cheaper to only include 22mb avail. to the user. Someone that attended a roadshow said they saved...what, 6 bucks putting in 32 instead of 64? or something like that?
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    Someone that attended a roadshow said they saved...what, 6 bucks putting in 32 instead of 64? or something like that?
    And the news of the memory issue caused their stock to tumble about a few bucks a share.... Plus the cost of offering free SD Cards and shipping them. Plus any lost sales over this issue... Plus the time and expense involved in trying to release a patch...

Their cost cutting has proven to lose them far more than they gained.

I would have happily paid an extra $100 if they had a 1GB drive in the thing!
    So would I, I paid $85 for my 1gb SD...I woulda gladly paid 100 if it were built-in
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    the way the dynamic heap memory management causes crashses in Blazer, Versamail and various 3rd party aps as the amount of available dynamic heap memory diminishes. Only fixed by a soft reset. This is straight from the palmone knowlege base. There are more complex bugs that I cannot explain. Just ask programmers like blue nomad, bits n bolts, velocityware, hobbyist software, Jeff Gibson, Shimon of shsh, etc.
    Please also add Snappermail to the list above. I have had two mail database corruptions due to the memory issue. Snappermail is doing all they can but the feedack from them is that they need more info from P1 as to what vodoo (my word, not theirs) is going on in the file system that is causing all of these problems. I'm getting sick of reinstalling software and rebuilding my mail fies too!

P1 is going to destroy their company if they can't get this and the other issues with the 650 sorted out soon. They will have people all over the word struggling with their product and clogging this board and others with their frustrations and comlpaints.
    I'm pretty certain it's a completely different type of memory. Flash memory writes to cells that fail after a certain number of writes. Not sure that could reliably be implemented in this type of device. That's not to say the type of memory they are using couldn't go up to 1gb. Also remember these devices came out last september i believe... flash cards were still expensive then.

So would I, I paid $85 for my 1gb SD...I woulda gladly paid 100 if it were built-in
    They could have done something like what they did with the T5, where they included 256MB (215MB actual storage capacity: 160MB internal flash drive, 55MB program memory for applications and data.)

But they didn't.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Then I don't get it. I thought folks were upset about how the 650 interprets data and the filesizes are much larger. What else could you be upset about? That PalmOne promised more memory in the 650 and it ended up being the same? That's NBD.
    Except:
    Some programs don't run from the card.
    Most that need to do timer based events (such as scheduled mail download) must run from RAM
    You can't map a hard button to a program on the card
    A program on the card can't be identified as the default app for a type of file or service (web browser, handzipper lite, email program.)

As a result I've managed to reduce what's in ram only to the bare necessities and toss the things I don't use.

I've come to the conclusion that I have to just deal with it. WHen and if they have a fix it won't be out until the Treo 650 is obsolete (new models available.)

I think most of the people complaining about the RAM need to get what they can on to the card and take some of that extra crap off their Treo that they really don't need.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Ditto ! Let me know if you come across someone who can do it!

michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast