I recently upgraded from a Sprint T600 to a Cingular T650. It has been relatively problem-free so far for me.

I have a pair of Mackie HR824 Studio Monitor Speakers (these are shielded speakers, mind you) on my desk at the office, and I usually leave my phone on my desk in near proximity to the speakers.

I can tell whenever I'm about to get a call, because the speakers will really start buzzing. Furthermore, my bedside radio will also begin buzzing loudly prior to receiving a call.

I've never had any of my prior cel phones do this, including the Sprint T600.

I used to carry my phone in my right hip pocket, but after witnessing all this speaker buzzing while in proximity to this phone... I don't want it any near the family jewels anymore... I have fears of this phone making me go sterile !
    Sprint uses CDMA, Cingular uses GSM. Almost all GSM (and some TDMA) phones cause the phenomenon you described. CDMA phones do not cause this to happen. Keep in mind that your speakers being shielded have absolutely nothing to do with cellular frequencies. It just means that they will not affect a glass tube monitor. Also keep in mind that the cellular radiation emitted by a phone is measured by it's SAR level. Almost all CDMA and TDMA phones have significantly higher SAR levels when compared to GSM phones.
    Almost all CDMA and TDMA phones have significantly higher SAR levels when compared to GSM phones.

However, in the case, your wrong. The 850mhz gsm treo has the highest sar rating of all treos and is one of the highest around.
    That is why I said "almost"; it means there are exceptions. And to further clarify the matter, not all GSM users use the 850mhz band so this does not apply to all users. Oh and one other thing to keep in mind... When flying on an airplane, you are subjected to almost 100 times more radiation than an average cell phone, for the duration of the flight. Bottom line is: radiation is unavoidable, just use common sense to limit your exposure.
    yeah when i switched to cingular thats the first thing i noticed. but on the bright side i always know when my phone is about to ring lol
    The whole deal in cellular is to have lots of phones coexisting on a limited number of frequencies. CDMA uses coding of and other schemes to acomplish this. GSM used a time sharing method similar to the older TDMA phones. The time sharing method requires a the transmitter to be turned on and off rapidly. These transitions cause a Splatter of frequencies to be emmited from the phone so you really get a broad spectrum emision from the phone. This splatter causes problems in a significant number of audio devices as well as others where perhaps we are not aware of the interfearence.

CDMA phones don't do this since they are not pulsing their transmitters.
    Oh here we go with the radiation fears again....

Sure wish there were archives of this from the T600 and T300 days.

Here's how these threads usually go folks.
    1. Someone gets afraid of radiation.
    2. There is some back and forth.
    3. Mentions of "this one has the higest levels of all" are made.
    4. Someone finally shows studies that the Treo is not gonna harm you.
    5. Eventually this all passes...

That said, its probably not a good idea to keep anything between your legs if you fear becoming sterile .

Fear something harming your brain? Get a bluetooth headset. Very low radiation levels.
    When will people realize it all boils right down to common sense?

A knife can cut you pretty bad, some worse than others... Even so, we still use them all the time... you wont catch me keeping a knife between my legs though.

┐Comprende?
    Yeah, well I use Chatter and have fairly heavy email traffic. If my Treo's on, I get the buzzing almost constantly. And guess what, I get to take it with me since I get the same thing on my car stereo.

Oy. Thanks for the chance to vent...

Quote Originally Posted by boxapizza
    yeah when i switched to cingular thats the first thing i noticed. but on the bright side i always know when my phone is about to ring lol