1.    #1  
    Why not PalmOne give us the fixed date. I don' think this do harm to P1. If they promise the current problems on 650 is the software issues but not the hardware's,and can be fixed in a short time,people will still continue buying 650.
    Maybe they will?

wishful thinking?
    1 | 2
    Ask P1
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    If they give us a time that means they have to meet it. If there is no time they don't have any deadlines to meet and risk pissing off customers by delaying anything. Plus, they don't want to hurt sales by giving a date. Some people might wait until the patch comes out before buying. That's my opinion.

Joe
    And besides, the TREO 650 seems to be selling well without this information (or the fix itself), so why should PalmOne even bother?
    If you're one of us who orders the unlocked 650 within the first 10 days of Feb, then you should have experience on waiting for P1 already....I still can't forget the bad time for my backorder, long shipping days...
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Granted, P1 has no obligation to update their product, but this is bad business. If there are issues, problems with their product, and they released it knowing full well that there were issues with their product, they have an obligation to their customers to make it right or risk losing those customers in the long run. It is purely a discussion of economics. P1 cannot survive without a customer base, and they risk losing loyal customers due to poor support execution. Because when something comes along that challanges the Treo, and it will, it will be an eye opening experience for P1 to see how many so called "loyal customers" jump ship.

just my 2 cents

rob
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I don't doubt P1 is working on something, I hope they are. I guess I'm saying I'm not surprised that they don't tell us a date. I'm happy with my Treo the way it is, so I guess I'm not as excited as others about a possible update.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    ...they released it knowing full well that there were issues with their product,...
    It would be even sadder if they released it thinking it was perfect...
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    And besides, the TREO 650 seems to be selling well without this information (or the fix itself), so why should PalmOne even bother?
    Congrats my friend! You earn a gold star!!! And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why economics trumps customer service every single time. I assure you than when sales of Treo 650s start to sloooooow down, patches will be a'plenty...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    While this is true, there is the value of word of mouth. Initial Treo buyers are generally "early adopters" in the new technology acceptance curve. They're the ones who have arrows in their backs and will put up with a certain amount of technical problems to get their hands on the latest technology. They make recommendations to "visionaries" who look to the practical deployment of early technology.

While I enthusiastically promoted to anyone who would listen the value of the Treo 600, I cannot do this with the Treo 650. To the volume part of the acceptance curve, the "pragmatists" who want a stable product -- and look to the early adopters and visionaries for recommendations -- I can't say this product will suit their needs, unless they use a limited aspect of the product.

One suspects that P1 did not enlist the aid of the early adopters and visionaries. I suspect that their beta program was not wide enough, or long enough to discover that a Treo 650 with less than 4 MB of freespace is subject to crashing through dynamic heap fragmentation. This is inexcusable. To say that only "power users" load this much software on their systems seems to me to have overlooked a full and thorough usability test.

My 2 cents.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    The problem with this argument is that it has been tried before - just about EVERY SINGLE Palm product launch since after the Pilot 5000 has been marred by "early adopter" problems and issues. I can vividly remember when the Palm IIIc came out (the first color Palm), and how the predictions of Palm's demise where plenty, and how Handspring was going to eat Palm's lunch (with the Visor... what was the name of the color one? I had it! )

Funny how things turned out.

I think the issue is that people in these boards (the ones that are older than 15 ) tend to get a little tunnel vision as all they read all day long is bad stuff. I'm not saying there isn't bad stuff, just that we perhaps focus too much of it, while the rest of the world goes along with their Treos happy as pie. I just read a post of someone who has 78 applications installed on his Treo650, including a custom ROM. What percetage of Treo users, really, do you think are ever going to push their Treos to THAT limit? I submit to you that over 90% of Treo users stick to mostly stock applications, maybe 1 or two 3rd party apps, and only use their Treos for

- talking to people.
    - keeping their PIM data
    - wireless email

And that's it. And for these people, the Treo 650 works just fine. These people may not be the ones fueling innovation at palmOne, but they are the ones snatching Treos off the shelf faster than palmOne can make them, and with their money they are paying palmOne's bills and profits.

Then again, this is just MY 2 cents.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I don't know that I agree with your statistical statement that 90% of Treo users have only 1 or 2 3rd party apps. I think that 90% of the Treo users don't frequent Treocentral (though I've told everyone I know who has a Treo, even complete strangers.)

One cannot downplay the power of negative "word of mouth". Look what it did for the movie "Alexander". Then compare it to the positive WOM for "Sideways".

I don't regret getting my Treo 650, I had to have it the first day. I did the same on the Treo 300 and 600. I'll do the same for the Treo 700. But the "early adopter" is not the volume market. P1 needs the volume market. On this product, they hit a foul ball. But the game isn't over.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Yeah, I pulled that 90% out of my... head.

The bad press hasn't seem to have affected palmOne. They barely can keep this things in stock. I think this product is another hit for palmOne, albeit one with a number of flaws, but very successful overall nonetheless (in terms of sales).

In terms of pleasing us, the early adopters, can we EVER be completely pleased?
    Cingular Treo 650
  15.    #15  
    I don' expect P1's new rom would fix most 3rd softwares' problems. They are 3rd software programmers' business. What I need is just containing more useful fuctions that Butler,treohelper usually do.
    PS: P1 should make voice dialing bluetooth available.