Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 650 and I would really love it if you could use the LED to indicate that there is voicemail. I keep going back and forth on whether I think I would prefer this in TakePHone or 2day, but currently I am favoring 2day. (Honestly, I'd be tremendously grateful to have it in either.)

Here's my thought for 2day. On the Prefs->Plugins page, you have the checkable matrix for the "Owner info" and "Time to next" lines. How about another row for LED. Then I could select if I wanted voicemail or email or SMSes or ... to light the LED.

On the Treo 600 I used to have a program to turn the LED orange when I had voicemail, but that program doesn't work on the 650. Plus I always like to limit the number of programs I need.

Thanks

P.S. The right color for the LED is Orange. ;-)

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel
    P.S. The right color for the LED is Orange. ;-)

Dave
    The right color for the Treo600 was a fast rapid green flash, Rob found that out when he wrote TreoButler. I know you were making a passive comment to make the LED orange, but it made me remember this, so I posted it. I wonder if the GSM versions of the 650 have a voicemail flash? You have a CDMA or GSM?
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    why not use Butler?

Posted from a Treo on the throne.
    Yes, Butler will do exactly what you want. Make sure you go to hobbyistsoftware.com and get the latest release, which was just posted. It is supposed to fix the reset after hotsync issue.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    why not use Butler?
    I have paid for butler. The only feature I wanted out of butler was the voicemail LED. But unfortunately my treo650 is not stable with butler. I just loaded the most recent version about a week ago and I deleted it two days ago. I know the 650 is a tempermental platform and because of that I have to carefully manage what apps I will use. And sadly, Butler has not made the grade.

My feeling is that 2day is already monitoring these things and notifying me of them on the main screen. So it would be a natural thing for it to turn on the LED as well.
    I have paid for butler. The only feature I wanted out of butler was the voicemail LED. But unfortunately my treo650 is not stable with butler.
    Carrel, not to sound rude, but who said that Bulter is not stable with the 650? Word of mouth or have you tried it? I have been running it on my 650 almost since day one and the current version is very stable. If you are haviung issues, perhaps there is a conflict on yours with another app or a corrupt file. EIther way, Rob can help you fix that. Make a post about it on here or in his area on MTDN.
    Regarsd, matt
    butler made my treo crash 3-5 times a day! sometimes just sitting there & it would reset. I since removed it & no crashes in a week. well a few but those were related to verichat. i know what yall are going to say. "oh it's some conflicting software that is the problem. hard reset & install files one by one blah blah blah". Well I am sick & tired of acting like developer & tier two support for this dang thing. these things should NOT be this much trouble. poo poo on palmone in a major way for realeasing devices in this state!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    butler made my treo crash 3-5 times a day! sometimes just sitting there & it would reset. I since removed it & no crashes in a week. well a few but those were related to verichat. i know what yall are going to say. "oh it's some conflicting software that is the problem. hard reset & install files one by one blah blah blah". Well I am sick & tired of acting like developer & tier two support for this dang thing. these things should NOT be this much trouble. poo poo on palmone in a major way for realeasing devices in this state!!!
    TreoNeo
    It sounds like some conflicting software that is the problem. hard reset & install files one by one...(yes I am kiddding) I agree with your last line about poo poo. It seems the 650 may be a little finicky. I know you have a life and better things to do then troubleshoot, but did you at least shoot Rob and email about it so he may be able to use this info to see a pattern?
    Nah I didn't bother. I gave up. I feel like my new full time hobby is emailing developers & telling them about bugs! If I was put on the payroll maybe I would continue. I just can't be bothered any longer. It's really fault of PalmOne & their new memory system being incompatible with some apps. And I think a lot of these problems are with people syncing old data or programs from other Treos to the 650. There seems to be a major incompatibility issue here. I just can't believe PalmOne would not fully test this! I bet if I had a fresh Treo 650 with no prior data from other devices, I'd have a clean, non-crashing device. So all in all. I really don't have the energy to care anymore. I'm complacent. Hey Burky where do you reside?
    I have paid for butler. The only feature I wanted out of butler was the voicemail LED. But unfortunately my treo650 is not stable with butler. I just loaded the most recent version about a week ago and I deleted it two days ago. I know the 650 is a tempermental platform and because of that I have to carefully manage what apps I will use. And sadly, Butler has not made the grade.

My feeling is that 2day is already monitoring these things and notifying me of them on the main screen. So it would be a natural thing for it to turn on the LED as well.
    Last night I downloaded and soon after purchased the new version of Butler (version 2.85) and it works great! I have been looking for a program to alert me of voicemails and SMS's via my LED and this program does just that. A few weeks ago I tried Butler but the LED feature didn't work, but this newest version seems to fix that problem.

I bought it for the LED feature's but also I'm liking the custom alarms it has as well. Try downloading version 2.85 and see if that is stable for you. Apparently it is supposed to fix the rest problem as well. I have not had a single reset while using this version of Butler.
    -Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Hey Burky where do you reside?
    In a house
    Austin, Texas between Mo-Pac and Parmer Ln.
    Why? Your not going to do a drive by are ya?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Carrel, not to sound rude, but who said that Bulter is not stable with the 650? Word of mouth or have you tried it?
    I won't assume you are being rude. But I would appreciate it if you had fully read my post. I did say that I had tried it. In fact I tried Butler as an evaluation when I had my 600. Not long after that I bought my 650 and treoallegro wouldn't work on the 650 so I bought Butler. But I (like so many others) found that I had repeated crashes. Yes, the 650 was released with many bugs, but honestly I found most of the bugs that I hit were in third party software. At first may of the software packages that I ran seemed to have bugs. But over time, most developers were able to clean things up. I spent a LOT of time working with developers and eventually I was able to get a stable setup. But at that time Butler had the bug where it crashed at every hotsync. So I deleted it. I missed my voicemail LED indicator, so a week ago I tried Butler again. Again, my 650 started crashing. Foolishly I upgraded several other packages at the same time so it took me more effort to determine where the problem was. But alas, removing Butler cleaned things up.

Let me be clear. I don't want to bash Butler. That wasn't my point at all. It is a great program. But it has 650 issues that for me don't seem to be resolved yet. Jeff has a great record and some great software. But I also have to do what it takes to make my 650 stable. And I have to concur with treoneo that I am exhausted with debugging treo software and now I just want to have a setup that works. I'm willing to accept some loss of functionality if it gives me stability. Could it be interactions with other software?? Certainly! But I have empirically determined a configuration that works for me and without true software debugging tools, that's the best I can do.

I also think that 2day would benefit from an LED indicator. It is so complementary to what it already does. When I originally bought Butler, I didn't have 2day. Butler addresses many system features that many people like. For me I only used the LED indicator. 2day addresses a very different function, and there is a small amount of overlap already. I am certainly not pitting one against the other. I use 2day constantly and if it could use the LED it would make me very happy. Currently I have ChatterEmail also enabling the LED and if 2day handled the LED, I would turn off that feature in Chatter. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Chatter. Hardly! But it makes a lot of sense to me to have 1 application that observes things (like voicemail, email and sms) and that tells me about them with the LED.

Phew... that started off as a short reply and look at it now. Sorry to blather so long.

Dave
    I won't assume you are being rude. But I would appreciate it if you had fully read my post. Dave
    I did fully read your post, the sad part is it was not what my mind heard. i guess I am getting old or stupid

I went back to your origial to see if it was edited and htere was no edit stamp and to add further insult to injury, in my reply when I quoted you , it even said "But unfortunately my treo650 is not stable with butler".

How I read that and hear something else is beyond me, thanks for the lesson.

Off to the Doctors office