1.    #1  
    I'm now on my third Sprint 600, and the touchscreen has quit working, and more and more apps are shutting down.

Since its in warranty, Sprint will replace it--but only in kind, with another 600. The store manager said that PalmOne (and Sprint) will not allow replacement/exchange/upgrade with a 650 unless/until you've had the phone for 18 months.

Does anyone know if there is such a policy--or is this just BS to get more people to pay full price ($600 with a $150 rebate) for the upgrade?

(I realize that I could probably do better by going to a different carrier, but that isn't feasible--whole family is on Sprint now.)
    I didn't know an upgrade would be an option for an 18-month owner. I think they'd replace a 600 with a 600 unless they didn't have any (new or refurbs) available. And they don't HAVE to replace from store stock if they don't have any, they can order them to be shipped too. If things are different from that, I'd love to hear it.
    Sprint and Palm One seem to be intent on forcing upgrades from the 600. I'm disgusted because my battery died shortly after the warranty period. Although batteries for the 600 are available on the internet and there are instructions on how to replace them, Sprint and Palm both refuse to do it. I don't see any explanation except forced obsolescence of an expensive device.
    Looks like (my 5th?) Treo 600 replacement is now enroute to my local store, as #4 that had lasted since May has begun symptoms of bad voice quality transmission. I was really happy to get that length of trouble-free operation out of a 600 and am very nervous about the "new" 600 that will replace it.

That said, even if they had offered me a "free" upgrade to the 650 I would have passed. The serious NVFS issue is too insurmountable for me.

Seeing as it's been over 3 months since PalmOne admitted to the memory problems of the 650, it's surprising that the real replacement to the 600 isn't at least being "leaked" for those of us who are holding on to the 600 with our bare knuckles until a true upgrade is released.

I now figure it will be at least 18 months after I bought my 600 that PalmOne gets on the stick with a new Treo (please g*d... at LEAST 64MB!!!), so perhaps the payoff will be okay. At least I didn't lose another $650.99 "early adopting" the pitiful 650 without even a rebate to ease the sting.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Sprint and Palm One seem to be intent on forcing upgrades from the 600. I'm disgusted because my battery died shortly after the warranty period. Although batteries for the 600 are available on the internet and there are instructions on how to replace them, Sprint and Palm both refuse to do it. I don't see any explanation except forced obsolescence of an expensive device.
    Lockline insurance should be mandatory for anyone who can get it on these phones.

People can buy a laptop for less than the price of a Treo nowadays, but PalmOne treats the end users as though we just bought closeout Zire 1's when we have issues- a tactic that is probably going to kill them off once some real competition to the Treo arrives.

High-end price with low-end support from PalmOne and Sprint means you should always supplement your Treo with backup warranty just like you would a laptop.

IMHO the Sprint corporate stores seem to have greatly improved at taking care of customer issues, but it seems that Sprint Corporate itself has become an immobile bureaucracy that prevents anybody from fixing anything without putting their jobs on the line. When you have an issue beyond the imagination of Sprint Corporate's initial design for job scopes, you are in for hell beyond belief.

A way to get this fixed is to try getting the insurance on the thing, and if you succeed there will be something wrong with the 600 other than the battery - then you can get it replaced. Cavaet: cross your fingers about the condition of the replacement.

If the device works fine other than the battery, if it were me I'd just replace it myself (and make the other internal fixes mentioned in previous threads while you are at it). Beats putting up with all the problems of the 650, and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.