1.    #1  
    Hi, I am having a little trouble with my treo 650. Here is my dilemma: I am trying to figure out how to be able to email documents in formats such as pdf(Adobe), word, excel, and even powerpoint to my clients from my treo but can't figure out how to do it. I have the bundled Docs to Go that came with my device and versamail. I can only seem to email word docs currently. If I email a pdf file the recipient cannot open them on their pc. For example, if I email docs to a client (to their yahoo email acct on their pc or similar situation) the client's computer cannot figure out how to open the attachment! What a pain! Also, I cannot open pdf files if they are emailed to my treo! This is frustrating and I need this capability. Is there another email program or something or a way to configure what I have to get this capability? Any info would be much appreciated.

I am temted to switch to a ppc6600 but want to exhaust alll of the possibilities with my treo first. Thanks again

-braincell
  2.    #2  
    bump
    You may want to search first, if you haven't already. There are lot's of folks in your shoes.

I had the exact same problem. See my thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...sending+videos I tired to send videos, v-cards and pictures that would come across to other computers as garbled text.

I ran a bunch of test and even had lengthy discussions with T-Mo techs (who were surprisingly helpful). I tired to change my outgoing email server away from T-Mo to see if it was their servers screwing up my attachments, outgoing authentication versus none...bottom line nothing worked.

I finally just moved over to Snappermail and my problems are solved. The same attachments that I had problems with are now getting to other computers just fine. I wonder what VersaMail is doing differently than Snappermail. It obviously has nothing to do with my wireless provider. I have the exact same outgoing settings on both programs.

Download the trial and check it out. I bet it solves your problems.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    First, there is no way to view native pdf files on the treo, or any other palm device currently. You must use the desktop software to first convert the files so you can view them on the treo, and that sucks. I read rumors somewhere that Adobe may offer a new version of reader for the palm that supports native pdf files.

Second, you must copy the native office files to the treo for that to work. If you use the DocstoGo desktop software to copy the files, then they are converted to a smaller palm based version. No worries though, DocstoGo does support native office files. You just need to copy the files directly to the handheld or SD card. There you can edit them, email them, whatever you want, but changes will NOT be synced automatically to the desktop versions. You need to do that manually this way.

It too took me awhile to figure this out, and I kept sending people files they can't open. Finally had to read the manual, and I hate doing that.
  5. CMD
    DocstoGo dektop software allows you to choose the Handheld Format. Select the file and then in the right hand panel select the desired format from the Handheld Format drop down. Native Microsoft Word format is available. When you edit the file on the Treo it gets converted to DocstoGo format but can still be saved with changes in native MS Word format. This way changes ARE synched with the desktop.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    If anyone can figure out how to get Picsel Viewer from the Cliés working on a Treo, there would be many happy people here, because it's the only Palm application available that can read native PDF files. I've only found one person who has said they were able to on a Zire 72 at 1src.com, but there were no further details.

Of course, we are toeing a line we dare not cross on a public board, unless picsel technologies themselves got out of their Sony contract and finally release their viewer to the public. Or Adobe gets its respective a55 in gear and get going on an updated version that can read them natively.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I think you are wrong on this point. At least with 7.003 or whatever the latest version is on the Mac, you can set it up so it always syncs to the card, and defaults to the native version in the Preferences. I'm pretty sure I've synced, made changes on my PowerBook, and synced, and the updated version was on my Treo. No—I'm sure of it, I just did this yesterday. Yes, this works. You can also specify defaulting sync to the card, and what category.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsman

Second, you must copy the native office files to the treo for that to work. If you use the DocstoGo desktop software to copy the files, then they are converted to a smaller palm based version. No worries though, DocstoGo does support native office files. You just need to copy the files directly to the handheld or SD card. There you can edit them, email them, whatever you want, but changes will NOT be synced automatically to the desktop versions. You need to do that manually this way.
  8. CMD
    Here's a partial solution for PDF files. Using AdobeReader for palm converts the PDF file to a lower resolution version that can be read on the Treo with a .PDB extension. This file can be emailed as an attachment using Versamail. The recipient then needs to rename it from filename.pdb to filename.pdf before opening it. As mentioned this creates a lower resolution version but it can be read on the Treo and with desktop adobe readers.

A second solution retains the original resolution but can't be read on the Treo. Change the original filename to .pdb before copying it to the Treo. This file can then be emailed but the recipient still needs to rename it to .pdf.

Neither of these is perfect but hope they might be of some help.

Edit
    Just thought you can also rename the files on the Treo using FileZ before sending them.
    Last edited by CMD; 03/04/2005 at 12:51 PM.