1. KRC
    I am loading up a new Treo 650. I currently have all my contact info in the Palm desktop client in the proper fields, but none of the data in the 650 or Outlook. I can't figure out how to set HotSync to move the data directly to the 650 without it first going into Outlook. I'm finding there is no easy way to move the data into Outlook from the Palm desktop without losing data integrity. Glad to provide more info if it would help.

Thanks.

BTW -- I got into this mess trying to move my contact file from my local Lotus Notes client into my 650. You would think that was simple -- not for me. I ended up exporting notes as VCards (which aggregates everything into one file with relatively proper data integrity) and importing that file into the Palm desktop. Turns out Outlook will only import VCards one file at a time. If anyone has a better way to move from Notes client to 650 with no data loss, I'm certainly open to that too.

Thanks again.
    In the install CD you can run a program that allows you to choose which app you want to sync you contact info with - Outlook or the Palm Desktop. You should be able to select Palm Desktop, and then set Hotsync to have the PC overwrite the 650. Once the data is in your 650, you can run the setup program again, change over to Outlook, and then set the hotsync to have the 650 overwrite the PC.

Another method would be to export the data to a CSV file and import it into Outlook. You can manually match the fields so the import works properly.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3. KRC
    Thanks. I'll rerun the CD.

Regarding your second suggestion, I tried it and was unsuccessful -- , as odd as it seems, the Palm client exports CSV in a less than perfectly structured form. For example, certain contact records have two mobile numbers, the remainder one or zero. Palm places these extra data points in the wrong field. It's not like a CSV export of an OO DB where everything is carefully defined.

Thanks again for the help.
    Ewwwwwwwww, thats ugly. In a worse, worse, worse case scenario, you could import that CSV file into Excel and scrub it manually - create the proper fields and move data around, the re-export a clean file that Outlook will like. If you have hundreds of contacts that could take hours, but less painful than re-entering all that data!! I didn't know Palm Desktop was so sloppy in its export.

Hope the install CD option works for you!! Good luck!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  5. KRC
    Good news. Your first suggestion worked great. I now have 500+ contacts on both Outlook client and 650. Thanks for the help.