Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a GSM 650 on Cingular. When I access the web it says connecting to GPRS. Is that a standard message even if I am connecting to EDGE?
    Thanks
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    Yes, it is. You can tell if you are using EDGE if you see a small triangle next to the signal bars.
    On Cingular, GPRS = EDGE.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  4.    #4  
    GRAMMY - I'm confused. I have two green arrows by signal bars when connected. One facing right and one facing left.

MVT - So, even though it's showing GPRS connection, I am getting EGPRS speeds? Is this the case all the time, or are there areas where I am connected at the lower packet rate?

Thanks
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    If you're getting "GPRS" connection, you are getting EDGE speeds. I don't know of any areas where there is a lower packet rate.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    do u get EDGE speeds no matter what media or data plan u purchase?
    The triangle next to the signal bar does not mean that you are in an EDGE area necessarily. The triangle only means that there is a GPRS connection available. It could be EDGE, it could not be. When you have two arrows it means that you are connected to a GPRS network. The best way to tell if you are connected on an EDGE network is to perform a bandwidth test at a site like http://dslreports.com/mspeed
    There was a bunch of discussion in the past regarding whether or not EDGE was accessible via a media works/net plan as opposed to a data plan. I think the answer it as long as EDGE is available in your area it doesn't matter what type of data package you have. I use the mediaworks package and definitely get EDGE speeds in Houston.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    There was a bunch of discussion in the past regarding whether or not EDGE was accessible via a media works/net plan as opposed to a data plan.
    I was informed by Cingular that MediaWorks was not available and that I had to use Data plan. 39.95! Ouch!

I'll check the speed. Is ther a chart around of what people have been getting on EDGE vs. GPRS? What should I expect?

Thanks Creighton
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by korndog
    I was informed by Cingular that MediaWorks was not available and that I had to use Data plan. 39.95! Ouch!

I'll check the speed. Is ther a chart around of what people have been getting on EDGE vs. GPRS? What should I expect?
    I think that the Media Works plan has been renamed now to MediaNet. The price for unlimted MediaWorks used to be $19.99. The unlimited Media Net plan is now $24.99 but does not include SMS and MMS. If those are not important to you then the MediaNet plan is all you need. Despite what Cingular reps will tell you, you do no have to have a pure data plan for the Treo. I think they are just trying to upsell for a bigger commission.

I think if you do a search you find find a number of threads regarding the speeds people are getting using EDGE. I generally get between 100-133kbps in the Houston area. If your getting much less than about 70kbps, then you are probably not on an EDGE enabled network.

Glad to help.

Thanks Creighton
    MEdia Works unlimited is not, but MEdia Net unlimited at $24.99 is available, and works just as well as their precious $39.99 PDA connect plan
  12.    #12  
    Creighton and TonyH - Thanks for this on Media Net. I will try but have been told by ts and cs that I MUST have Data Pkg. What sucks is that on top of the 39.95, I have to pay 9.95 for SMS!!! I went from 19.95 to 49.95 after the initial sell. Unreal.
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    ^cycle through CSRs till you get what you're looking for.
    1 | 2
    or Call Cingular CSR, they should be able to change the plan.
    New Question.....Last few days I don't see the little green arrow thingies and trying to log in to Flight Status doesn't work. Tries to sign in....says cancelling....tries it again and gives the cencelling message agin and finally I get a

"Internet Unreachable:
    -28995. Try again alter."

I had an error like that once. I performed a soft reset and everything started working again, I never figured out what the problem was. When I was on Sprint with the Treo 600 I found myself routinely having to perform soft resets to connect to Vision. If a soft reset doesn't work, I'd ensure that the GPRS connection settings are correct and if so call and find out if there's a network problem. I guess you could always wait until tomorrow and try again first.
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    If a soft reset doesn't work, I'd ensure that the GPRS connection settings are correct and if so call and find out if there's a network problem. I guess you could always wait until tomorrow and try again first.
    It's been like this for a few days, incidentally enough since I had to call Cingular and have them stop charging me $59.99 on two phones under the family plan....They were suppossed to move the $59 charge from another phone to this phone....instead they left the old one with $59 and chraged the Treo 59 too.

I was beginning to wonder if they turned something off. I was holding off on calling them cause I am trying to avoid telling them that I have a Treo in case I want to get an unlimited plan.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I was beginning to wonder if they turned something off. I was holding off on calling them cause I am trying to avoid telling them that I have a Treo in case I want to get an unlimited plan.
    I have had services mysteriously turned off in the past. BTW, unlimited what? and what is the Treo connection? I'm still baffled by what happened to me.

Thanks
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    I have had services mysteriously turned off in the past. BTW, unlimited what? and what is the Treo connection? I'm still baffled by what happened to me.
    That's what seems to have happened. Seems when my wife called last week to fix the double charge, they turned of the "data servcies on demand" thing.

As for the unlimited, if you have read the threads of the same name.....the reps will tell ya if they know ya have the Treo that ya gotta use the PDA Plan which is $39.95. If they don't knw ya got the treo ya can get one of the the "Works" unlimited plans for a lot less.

So I told my wife to call and to say that if they ask what type of phone I have to tell them she doesn't know and that I am "not here". So as soon as the rep gets on the phone what does she do....without muting or covering the handset she starts asking me questions <grin>.....there goes that strategy !
    I know the answer changes depending upon who you talk with. The rep I deal with explained to me that the "data" packages are for those who want to use data without a voice plan. The media packages are those that get bundled with the voice plans. The main exception are the Blackberry plans which are required for BB devices even if bundled with voice plans. This may or may not be accurate, but it seems to me that this is the way it should be. I never had any problem adding the original MediaWorks Unlimited package to the SX66. I didn't realize at the time how valuable that package would prove to be.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast