Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sent to PalmOne 11:22am 3/3/05 via palmone support conduit:

Dear PalmOne Corporate,

It’s important, with all the nut cases in the world today, that you understand that I am a business owner, very busy… and I have been a long time fan of Palm based products.

In fact, I have been a devout user of Palm products since, I guess around 1994… I love the platform.

This letter is about YOU screwing up in a major way, please patiently read on, it won’t take long & it’s serious.

If you don’t already, you need to start reading posts on the "Treo 650 hardware" forum at www.treocentral.com

I and "a number" of other long-time Treo/Palm fans are thoroughly disgusted with your premature release of this ill-conceived Treo 650.

I can safely say that we are/were all owners of Treo 600’s… I will no-doubt return to that product very soon. Most of us consider(ed) ourselves to be a die-hard Palm, Handspring, PalmOne/Treo fans.

Unfortunately you have created a product, in the T650, that has us up in arms… and it’s come to this:

You have until March 31 of this year to fix the Bluetooth, call log and non-programmable 5way nav button, and non-stop crashing issues in the Treo 650...

If you don’t put a team of software engineers on this and fix it, I will take 45 minutes out of my busy day and create a website, market it through existing forums, ebay and other effective conduits, condemning the Treo 650.

And, if you don’t, on April 1, I and what will amount to several thousand other petition-signed individuals will begin to flood ebay with this ill-thought-out, pathetic T650 software development.

This will happen over a period of weeks, effectively driving down the cost of the unit globally, probably starting a wicked and quite possibly irreversible trend.

Why? You need to ask yourselves this question. Don’t know? read the freaking forum.

On an internal note, how dare you do this to the developers and engineers that care so much about this line of products?

The petition will finish circulating on an independent web site created for just this purpose around the 25th of March; I’ll get back to you with an exact number of participants at that time.

Is this corporate sabotage? Nope… just a really pissed-off professional consumer that some how managed to create 20 minutes out of his crazy day for this angry letter.

Get it together PalmOne… Do it now.

Now then, if you do the right thing and fix this for the (probably what will amount to hundreds of thousands of users) around the world, this website I speak of?… It will be turned into a giant praise and watchdog for PalmOne and you will be vindicated… I truly hope that’s the case, because you do have the beginnings of one fantastic product… and after all I am and could possibly continue to be a loyal customer.

PLEASE NOTE: My views are independent of, and do not reflect that of the views of the operators of treocentral.com. I don’t know them, but I’m sure they’re fine people. They have no knowledge of this post before-hand, and I’m quite confident that because of it’s combative nature of it, they will pull the post… no matter, the soon-to-be-announced independent “petition website” will take care of the rest… Let’s see what they’re made of.

Sincerely,
    “tundycentral” on TreoCentral.com

By the way, your competition (you figure it out) has already offered to buy advertising on this site I speak of if I can create enough traffic to it. I will not make advertising space available on the site until April 1. On that, you have my word.

tundycentral.
    right. they'll care.
    Yeah, I bet their scared to death right now.

It'd be great if that was all it takes, but I have some pretty strong doubts.
  4.    #4  
    I just locked in the domain name: treo650update.com

They'll care.

They'll fix it.

or they'll eat crow, big time.

I'm finished talking, now I'm doing something about it.

That's it for me for the day, got work backing up.

TC
    Using the name of treo650 in your domain may infringe upon PalmOne's tradename/service mark.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Yawn
  7.    #7  
    Let's find out
    For as many people who hate the 650, there are just as many who love it..myself being one of them.

Maybe we'll make an anti-treo650update.com and petetion people to speak out against the haters. hehe

Seriously, that email probably went right into the spam filters heh
    -Cal
    There is a lot of confusion surrounding the application of trademark laws to domain names. This is not the area of law I practice, however last I remember is that the use of tradenames/trademarks in a domain name is only a violation if you are a cybersquatter, that is if you are holding the domain but not using it. As long as you are using the domain name for a legitimate purpose you are not violating any trademark laws.

Someone that is more versed in this field please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Hi guys,

I understand the disappointment if the device does not do EVERYTHING you want. For me, I bought a device which I setup in 3 days to do so many things that the sum of all the other devices to do the same would cost me much more.

For me the Treo 650 is a stunning device ahead of all the others out there at this moment.

I love it. Sorry to hear you have more problems.

PalmOne - yes, keep developing fixes, but be sure, there are a lot of people loving the device today!

- hugo -
    Business Case for the Treo 650?
    - Cam-Phone, PDA, MP3 player, GPS navigation, Remote Control for my Home Entertainment (TVedia), VoIP-Phone, USB Stick
  11.    #11  
    Thank you for the input...

I'm just following the lead of the name of the site that we're conversing on...

Hey Cal... RAH RAH RAH GO PALM GO RAH RAH RAH... oh brother lol

Gotta go
    If you dislike it so much, why don't you return and and try to find something better?

Just a thought.
    P.S. If you do find something better, please let me know b/c God knows I've looked and so far I've come up empty.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Let's give props to tundycentral for at least taking a risk of at the minimum of getting flamed on this forum for his...... ummm........post. No disrespect to you tc but as it has been posted in many threads with numerous thoughts and responses, the conclusion is that P1 is very aware of the issues, and as it stands now with our 650's being out now for about 4 months, it appears no major fix is in the works. Thankfully, our forum members with the advanced technical knowledge are the ones creating the solutions to some of the issues our Treo 650's are having.
    Forum members such as KRamsauer and heberman have been here a long time with way more experience with these palm products as well as past dealings with the P1 company in its present state, so I being a relatively new forum member, I tend to listen to our senior forum members with a bit more open ear as to what they have to say.
    As I stated earlier about giving you props tc, I appreciate what you are doing and hope that your efforts will contribute to an improvement in the reliability and a greater user experience with our present T650's and future Treos. Good luck.
  15.    #15  
    First off, I truly love palm-based products, almost certainly more than the lip-service boys here that blindly, loyally take what ever is served to them. It is my caring that spurs me to action.

Action talks, BS walks.

As I stated in my letter to Palm, if they come through on this one and really shine... I will turn the treo650update.com into a shrine to PalmOne.

If they don't, if they continue to turn out a product without a contact number included in the literature, if they continue to ride on the coat tails of past successes, if they insist on making reaching anyone that cares a freaking nightmare...

... let the consumer speak.

Good day gentlemen.
    I'm all for writing palm, sprint, cigular and whoever about the fixes that are needed for the 650. But if he thinks this kind of thing will get any serious attention, well, hes the one that mentioned "nut case"

John Wayne Gracy owned his own business too, and he cut up people and kept them in the fridge for snacks.
    A few points to consider:

1. A deadline of less than one month is WAY too short.

2. You should write a nice letter first, outlining your specific concerns, and see if you get a reasonable response.

3. You should follow up with number (2) at least a few times over a period of a week or two to give a good, real chance for them to respond. Obviously, save and record EVERYTHING.

4. AFTER that, write a last note stating you will make all information you know of public, including all known problems with the phone.

Be VERY, VERY careful - it's easy to step over the line to libel - be VERY SURE that everyone is CLEARLY noted as factual or opinion. Do not state anything as fact that is really opinion, and be sure all facts are dated like this, for example:

As of xx/xx/xxxx 50% of the 100 phone owners surveyed (see detail in this link) report ...
    There were a few mistakes in the letter to begin with.
    First the grammer and choice of words negate your professional status.
    Im not sure but I can bet CEO's of fortune 500 companies do not use Freaking in their
    business letters.
    Plus, regardless of what you say to them they have the upper hand. I agree that the phone was released prematurely but released none the less. No one asked us to please buy our phone.
    We voluntarily purchased these phones.
    I'm sorry but I think the 20 minutes you took out of your bust day might be a futile attempt at bullying a company that has the sales numbers to contradict anything you or the websites spoken of can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxpinballxx
    There were a few mistakes in the letter to begin with.
    First the grammer and choice of words negate your professional status.
    Im not sure but I can bet CEO's of fortune 500 companies do not use Freaking in their
    business letters.
    Plus, regardless of what you say to them they have the upper hand. I agree that the phone was released prematurely but released none the less. No one asked us to please buy our phone.
    We voluntarily purchased these phones.
    I'm sorry but I think the 20 minutes you took out of your bust day might be a futile attempt at bullying a company that has the sales numbers to contradict anything you or the websites spoken of can do.
    Well said.
    -Cal
    I don't know why people are so up in arms about this post. The product was clearly not ready for the market when released, and some consumer anger is quite justified. Whether this is a vent or a rally, the basis for it is a point of fact. The 650 should not have been released. Do you really think that Cingular took it off their site because of availability? Uh..... No
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast