Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    I'm happy with mine. :-)
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Damn, that is pretty freakin funny !
    That's one creeeepy picture. (I like it)
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Once a thread goes over 2 pages you know that things are going downhill from there.
    Late to the game here tonight.

PROPS to TundyCentral for being productive!!!

Some of you may disagree, but at leasts he's not sittin' on his a** gripin', he's DOING something... and what does anyone else care if his site/efforts fail... it's his time and money, how does it affect you?... Heck, if anything actually does happen, Tundy's efforts help you too!... No skin off your a**.

While I am satisfied that my T650 is the best device out there RIGHT NOW (I did not say perfect!)... I am confident if Palm doesn't upgrade their device, someone else will come out with a better device... and I suspect a lot of us will migrate (hell, some have already migrated to the PPC660X/SX66/etc).

Tundy, your approach is a little rough (but it's your approach, not mine), but PROPS for doing more than just lip service.... Actions do speak louder than words, respect to you for not just sitting around this forum and complaining... or just complaining about the complainers...I'm so sick of the whining.

For the record, I used this forum to resolve my T650 reset issues, and I'm glad it's here, but sometimes people just whine their damn a** off (what a waste of time those threads are when you're trying to find out something helpful or informative).... I mean if you don't like the device, you should get something else that's better (hehe there is nothing better!-yet! - and you know it too!).... or complain to the Carriers, or write a letter, start a petition, or return your device, BUT STOP FRIGGIN' WHINING!...what good does that do?... besides annoying the HE!! out of the rest of us.

Tundy, what you say may not be my experience, and I may not agree with how you say it, but you deserve some credit for not just talkin'.

Good Luck!... I'll visit the website just to see how you do... but I won't read anymore of your threads about how bad the 650 is... I'd have to call you a crybaby then.

...and yes...Tiffany, you are the official TreoCentral chick...cute and happy with that 650.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    This phone has terrible problems. I'm happy for those of you with working phones but I paid damn near $600 for a phone that resets constantly (with "A" SIM card) and doesn't have any tech support. Why can't palm get their act together for us?
    I agree. TundyCentral is actually doing something. He shouldn't be flamed for it. He indeed has a poorly functioning phone and by saying, he 'shoulda' read through this forum is not a solution. Think of all the non-technically literate people out there, haphazardly buying this phone! (Some of them don't even have the benefit of knowing about the A sim)
    I applaud the effort, I really do. While overall I am very happy with my T650, I do think it's pretty shameful how many bugs made it into the released product, and that it's taking them so long to fix them.

But here's the thing...you make a point of the fact that you're actually doing something about it, but action alone doesn't help. You need strategy. And you have none of that in your letter. You needed to present a rational and fact-based case for them to act, and present it in a professional way. Your letter is a rant, nothing more, and it will not achieve the results you're after. If done right, what you're trying to do could be effective. But the way you're going about it, you're either going to get ignored or get sued.

-Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    I applaud the effort, I really do. While overall I am very happy with my T650, I do think it's pretty shameful how many bugs made it into the released product, and that it's taking them so long to fix them.

But here's the thing...you make a point of the fact that you're actually doing something about it, but action alone doesn't help. You need strategy. And you have none of that in your letter. You needed to present a rational and fact-based case for them to act, and present it in a professional way. Your letter is a rant, nothing more, and it will not achieve the results you're after. If done right, what you're trying to do could be effective. But the way you're going about it, you're either going to get ignored or get sued.

-Brian

Look, I'm supportive of devising a strategy, and I don't have a problem with my Treo - I just feel for those who do, and I also want Palm to develop the best products possible for my use (yeah I'm selfish that way!), but it can't be 600 different strategies... or nothing will ever get done.

At least the guy got some of us talking, and thinking, and if any of us want, we can participate... and if others have a better way, or just THEIR way of approaching this problem, it's their approach, let 'em see for themselves whether or not it works.

At least someone has stopped bi***ing about the problems and is trying to stir others into action as well... this was a pretty active thread today!
    Believe me, most of the bugs are there not because P1 doesn't care, but most likely because they are very hard to fix and fixes haven't been reached yet.

The 650 is a very sophisticated piece of equipment with many subsystems and is open to all sorts of software programs to be installed on it. Making it robust for all programs out there is almost an impossible task. It's ironic that the biggest known strength of the Palm platform (it's openness and the existance of thousands of applications) is what's causing all sorts of trouble with palmOne's latest and greatest device.

IMHO, this device has pushed the envelop near the extreme of what OS 5 can do. Only a true multitasking OS with memory protection (like OS 6) will be able to do better, and not right off the bat. It would take it a while to stabilize as well.

In the mean time, you absolutely CAN set yourself up with a working set of applications with very good stability on the 650. I'm not even sure what you mean by some of your complaints. What's wrong with the call log? Is it really that you need an extra stroke to dial a number from it?! WOW! The 5-way nav works absolutely fine for me. It's not like any other phone out there, smart or not, has no flaws... far from it.

Since you're accusing palmOne of being unprofessional and unreasonable, the last thing you want is to do just that with your letter. It's absolutely fine to demand exellence from a company but one has to be realistic.

And before anyone accuses me of having blinders on and being a palmOne apologist, let me say that while I recommend both the 600 and 650 to people, in some cases I have been advising people to stay away from the 650. I base my recommendation on the sophestication of the user and what kind of use they want to get from the device. So the device does have problems, BUT it's far from the failed release that some people make it out to be.
    Lmao you guys are funny.

Tundy = http://baddaker-studios.net/macros/dude-owned.jpg
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    WTH? WTF? Why do I read this crap???

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Why don't you walk on over to your website to continue this discussion? It's really getting a little tiring listening to your babble about how bad you think the 650 is. While not a perfect device, it's certainly no where near as bad as you make it out to be.
    It's really getting a little tiring listening to your LOUD, BARKING DOGMA yipping about how tired you and your apologist friends are of listening to us poor fools who can't be happy with just the standard out-of-the-box apps and have the delusion of using our Treos as a useful tool.

Glad to see that you're one of the lucky ones. For some of us, the 650 is a huge mess that corrupts data, wastes far more time than it saves, and will probably be one of the nine inch nails in the Palm coffin. This from someone who has used MANY Palm devices prior to the 650 and had none of the data disasters with any of them. I even used to be able to HotSync. Fortunately, I can again... with my Clie. Apparently, all of the good ones ARE taken.

I think lots of people complaining are raging due to what comes off as the arrogance of Palm. That certainly pisses me off. Speaking of arrogance,...

It's not like you haven't been around these forums for years and years and seen what groups of people - and people in general - are like. If you can't take the heat,....
    Quote Originally Posted by dmax
    In reading TC's original post, several DSM IV diagnostic categories came to mind.....
    Whoa there doc, do you think anyone but you and the two other doctors on the board got that one?

I only got it as I have a son with Autism, hence I am versed in the lingo....probly a leans a bit towards jargon for about 99% of the people on this board...I laughed tho...

Cheers
    I posted this Douglas Adams quote from the Hitchhiker series somewhere else, but it looks appropriate again... Mr. Adams was talking about the products from the "Sirius Cybernetic Corporation"...

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    "......it is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words... their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws."
    Maybe this oughta be PalmOne's new slogan...

Kids, we're falling back into that old red and blue, apologist vs. whiner crud. Don't need that here. What we ALL want is a TREO 650 that functions as it should. That's where the problem is, though, how SHOULD it function? I think they need to live up to the concept of this thing, and the philosophy (cult?) of Palm OS and apps that everybody loves.

Before any of the other problems even showed up, you got the butchered memory. PalmOne in their infinite (lack of) wisdom fixed something that wasn't broke and the cure was a heck of a lot worse than the disease. How many times did any of you guys have a total loss of data for running the battery into the ground? If you didn't HotSync, or didn't do a backup on an SD card, we could say it was your own fault anyway. So why did PalmOne feel so compelled to fix this? In the process of fixing this non-problem, they cut the listed memory by 1 MB (not a real problem, I guess), but their incredibly bad decisions about file structure effectively cut it by a lot more. On top of that, the new and improved memory has required a rewrite of the vast majority of all your favorite old apps that made you want to stick with Palm OS in the first place, so you have to buy all new or at least updated/upgraded software. Huge improvement, ummm hmmm... Oh, and because there was a lot of squawking about the memory being sliced, PalmOne bribed us with a $5 SD card, and the promise of a fix later. Ain't seen no fix, no word of a fix, no nothing.

Now, let's talk about Silverado's point about how sophisticated this thing is and how robust. Well, it is certainly more complicated than a regular little cellular telephone, but don't try to tell me it is more sophisticated than a laptop or a desktop. I have bought a dozen of those from Dell over the past 4 or 5 years. They all come preconfigured with the stuff I need, I plug em in, turn em on, type in some customizing information, and off we go. Nothing like what some of the good people around here have had to do to get their little spark-plug TREO 650 to work. And yes, my Dells handle most legacy Windoze apps just fine, thank you. In XP, there is even a way to set the apps to run like they would with Windoze 2000, 98, NT, or even DOS, so don't feed me this stuff about how sophisticated and robust the TREO 650 is. Obviously some old apps won't work, and probably shouldn't work, but why should they short-circuit the whole darn machine if it is so darn robust?

The sound problem lots of people had with the CDMA TREO 650 is a sad joke on PalmOne, or really on the users. What an idea, that a telephone should be usable as a telephone! Even I get that one! But without the leaked sound patch ROM, you couldn't do that on a good number of these telephones. Guess the jury is still out on whether any significant number of the GSM's have this problem. And all our benevolent masters at PalmOne will say is that using third-party ROMS is a big no-no. Hey, the joke is on them: it's THEIR OWN leaked software to begin with! Ha!

I won't go any further into the list of problems that SOME people are having. I am really happy that some if not most people aren't having these problems. I won't call anybody an apologist UNLESS they say that there aren't any problems, and I won't call anyone a whiner UNLESS they say EVERYONE is having problems (but some are too stupid to see them).

The statement to PalmOne needs to be: "A significant number of TREO 650's are having problems, in addition to the memory shortage. We as current or potential buyers of your products want to hear what you have to say about these problems and what you plan to do about them." With all due respect.
    GWB: Your points are largely valid, although I will point out that Windows has a lot more development support behind it than does PalmOS, and a lot more money, and it's still a bug ridden, crash prone, security-holed POS.

Aside from that, I think most people will agree that there are real problems with the 650. Maybe we shouldn't have to find workarounds to the problems, but the fact is there ARE workarounds, and implementing them does a whole lot more good that whining. Finally, a lot of people disagree that threatening Palm with website exposes is going to accomplish anything at all.

Otter: I'm really getting tired of people whining that the 650 just doesn't work unless you run it bone stock. I've got 30 or 40 aftermarket apps installed and mine is exceptionally stable. I need to reboot no more often than I reboot my Windows 2000 PCs, and less often than I reboot my XP machine.

Like I said before: if people would spend less time whining, and more time using the forum to figure out how to solve the problems, they'd probably be a lot more productive. Maybe even a lot happier, although some people seem to enjoy being unhappy, as long as they get to complain about it. But if your phone is truly defective, TAKE IT BACK. It's still under warranty: exchange it for another one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    P.S. If you do find something better, please let me know b/c God knows I've looked and so far I've come up empty.
    My sentiments exactly. Nothing else comes close, although I will be keenly interested in the number of unique petition signers he comes up with. I doubt there are a thousand, much less "thousands"
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    So....when are we going to threat microsoft for their freaky software. I mean they roll out their whole line of OSs when they werent ready. Only thing they do is update, which is making record already with XP.Mmmmm I like this. I hope microsoftsucks.com is not taken. I mean windows suck too, hence majority of people use it everyday :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Believe me, most of the bugs are there not because P1 doesn't care, but most likely because they are very hard to fix and fixes haven't been reached yet.

The 650 is a very sophisticated piece of equipment with many subsystems and is open to all sorts of software programs to be installed on it. Making it robust for all programs out there is almost an impossible task. It's ironic that the biggest known strength of the Palm platform (it's openness and the existance of thousands of applications) is what's causing all sorts of trouble with palmOne's latest and greatest device.
    This is a critical observation for all the complainers. For example: the Treo 600 and 650 are still the ONLY touch screen PDA's (much less Smartphones) that can be used 95% without a stylus for basic operations of selecting and starting options from the D-Pad. I switched to Cingular before they had the 650, and I've been struggling (again) with the two device shuffle using a Motorola V551 and Dell Axim x50v. Although the Axim s a powerful device (great VGA screen I might add), it cannot be used for anything but basic functions without the stylus.

Having been a Sprint T650 owner, I'll admit it's far from perfect, but just point me to the next best alternative that is even 60% as good as the Treo line......

.....Ahh - the thundering silence , because there's just not a second best. All of the alternatives, be they proprietary (Blackberry), PPC (putting a ping pong paddle up to your ear), or even Palm (non-existent Samsung i550?), just don't cut it.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    www.treo650update.com is up but not fully functional, keep checking back & tell your 650 friends.
    Thanks!
    "The first snowflake"
    What a joke. All those powerful friends you have should help you design a site worthy of looking at.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast