Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    I just locked in the domain name: treo650update.com

They'll care.

They'll fix it.

or they'll eat crow, big time.

I'm finished talking, now I'm doing something about it.

That's it for me for the day, got work backing up.

TC
    Actually threats like the one you are intending could get you in trouble, legally. You have no chance of making an impact.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Thank you for the input...

I'm just following the lead of the name of the site that we're conversing on...

Hey Cal... RAH RAH RAH GO PALM GO RAH RAH RAH... oh brother lol

Gotta go
    you said you were leaving a while ago.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Sigh.

Is the Treo 650 less that perfect? You bet.

Did anyone force you to buy it? I don't think so.

Are your threats likely to accomplish anything? Doubtful.

Let's address the last point first. There's no shortage of internet complaints about the 650. TC is full of them, as is MTDN. There have even been complaints in some of the more mainstream media. So what do you think one more obscure web site is going to accomplish. If someone googles on Treo 650, they're going to find TC well before they find your new site. And they'll probably learn a lot more, good and bad, about the Treo here, too.

Now let's look at your complaints:

A 'number' of long time palm fans are disgusted. Frankly, I suspect P1 doesn't care at all about the 'fans' as long as it can sell lots of Treos to the masses. And it's fitting that you put 'number' in quotes, since you have no idea how many people really feel like you. There's an ongoing poll here on TC that shows the vast majority of owners satisfied or very satisfied. I think P1 cares more about that statistic than your 'number.'

I am/was a 600 owner, and while I agree the interface has gotten worse in some respects, it's also better in others. Overall, I'm satisfied with the trade-offs. Would I prefer the 600 interface with the keyboard and screen of the 650? I'm not sure. I like the addition of caller specific ringtones, and a photo for all contacts, the better photo software interface, and more. It's not an option, anyway. I have the choice of either one, and I chose the 650. It took a little getting used to, but it's not the disaster you make it sound like.

Bluetooth:

Frankly, I don't care. The entire bluetooth craze is something I don't quite understand. I have no issues using a wired headset, or just holding the phone in my hand. But if BT is important to you, I ask: Returning to the 600 because the 650 bluetooth isn't very good, ummm, well, how does that help?

Call log:

OMG, let's find something else to whine about, ok? Some people actually like the fact that it's harder to accidently call back the last call received. And moving the highlight from the cancel button to the call list takes one extra key press. It might be nice if it were configurable, but it's not a problem on par with global warming, I don't think.

5-way:

Yes, I liked the 5 way setup better in the 600, too. But I'm not going to go to war over it. It took me a week, maybe two, to adjust to the new way of doing things. And using a button launcher (AardQuick is my favorite) is an easier way of getting to frequently used apps, anyway. It would be nice if Palm made it possible to assign multiple apps to each button without buying extra software, but at least the Treo is extensible.

Non-stop crashing:

Instead of yelling at Palm to read these forums, maybe you should spend more time reading threads that will help you solve the problems, instead of threads that simply complain about them. My 650 resets after many hotsyncs, because I choose to run a program that has that known bug. If I remove that program, the Treo soft resets---almost never. I don't get crashes in the phone app. I don't get crashes reading or sending email. Or playing games, switching between apps, or viewing pictures. About the only resets I get are an occasional one in Blazer. But guess what, Internet Explorer crashes, too. Web browsers are tricky, because there's such a huge variety of crap that people cram into their pages.

There's a thread here where people are listing all the apps they have installed on the Treo while mainting a stable device. There are quite a few of us with long lists of working, installed software, and stable devices. If your Treo crashes regularly with only the factory installed software(after a hard reset), that's a Palm problem. If 3rd party apps are making it crash, it's an ISV problem. Spend the time to figure out what apps work and what don't, and you, too, can have a stable 650.

I'm a bit confused about a couple of things, though. You're going to "flood" ebay with "this ill-thought-out, pathetic T650 software development." Do you mean your going to sell your Treos on ebay? And drive down prices? LOL. Even if everyone on TC sold their Treos, it would make a temporary dent in the price of used 650s, at best. We're a drop in the bucket. Most people buy their phones new, with plans, and the number of units that go for sale on ebay is tiny compared to the number of units Palm is shipping to providers.

Now then, if you could convince Sprint, Cingular, Orange, and some other big providers that the 650 is a POS, and they should stop selling it until Palm does something, THEN you would get Palm's attention. But the service providers are going to make that decision based on real info: how do they sell, what's the return rate, what's the replacement rate, what are customers complaining about?

Let me go back to my first point, for a second. No one forced you to buy this. After you bought it, you had at least 14 days to return it if you were unhappy. You're welcome to return to you 600 if you like it better.

What makes you think that Palm is under any obligation to build a Treo to your specifications? They build something, people buy it or not based on its merits to each individual consumer. Because I don't like Fords I choose to buy something else. That doesn't mean I build a web site trashing Fords. Other people choose Fords, and like them.

One of the things that makes America great: Choice.

P.S. Oh, one more thing. There is some indication, if you can believe what's written in these forums, that Pa1mOne has already given Sprint a ROM update for the CDMA Treo, and we're really waiting on Sprint to release it. Maybe you should start a cellular provider bashing web site, too.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 03/03/2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added p.s.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Good for you on taking action but... don't think that setting up a web site dedicated to the destruction of PalmOne will make a hill of beans; join the club, I am sure there are many other sites with the same goal. Just as our government has a policy not to negotiate with terrorists, P1 will not negotiate with one person, no matter how strong the threat.

I am sure P1 executives are aware of the problems and are taking strides to correct them. If not, they will not be in business much longer. You are correct, the consumer will speak but setting up a PalmOne bashing web site will have little impact. The same people that love the 650 will continue to love it and the same people that hate the 650 will continue to hate it.

I am disappointed in the 650 also and think that P1 missed the boat on making a truly remarkable device, I just don't think your approach will yield results worth the effort. One person cannot manipulate PalmOne into yielding to their arbitrary demands. But again, I respect your notion of taking action.
    The 650 is still on Cingular's website, FWIW.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    To meyerweb for that last post........AWESOME ! I am in agreement. BTW, my Sprint Treo 650 works flawlessly because I did spend much time reading forums, experimenting with settings and applications, and tweaking things to what now has become a product that has no issues and is reliable for " this " end user. Others should do the same thing instead of complaining. You are still there reading all this, right tundycentral ? And one more thing..... bluetooth sucks. Anyone want internet on their laptop, use an air card. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    The 650 is still on Cingular's website, FWIW.
    I went to Cingular.com and couild not find it as an available device. Could you post a link please?

And, yes, those that are willing and able to put time into the 650 will end up with a GREAT phone, but what % of consumers will use these forums.
    Korndog
    Verizon 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    I'm all for writing palm, sprint, cigular and whoever about the fixes that are needed for the 650. But if he thinks this kind of thing will get any serious attention, well, hes the one that mentioned "nut case"

John Wayne Gracy owned his own business too, and he cut up people and kept them in the fridge for snacks.

OT, I know, LOL, but Midmofan, you got your serials mixed up!

It was John Wayne Gacy and all he did was kill em and bury em,
    It was Jeffrey Dalmer who liked to cut em up, cool em, and snack on em later.

Anyway, on topic, sometimes an extreme appoach will get some attention. Sure I like my 650 but I also feel it has some very significant issues which I think P1 should attend to. Like meyerweb, said, though, it will probably accomplish very little.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  9.    #29  
    I'm back...

All of the advice, terrific... and appreciated.

The mass murderer comparison was... um, non-interesting, disturbing at best.

Will the blinders remain up for many Palm followers? inevitably.

I'm ultimately a happy, easy going guy, albeit a busy guy.

I have a $600 piece of equipment from a reputable company that doesn't work.

I'm simply taking a proactive stance on what will hopefully be a successful campaign to get an uncaring corporate giant to follow through.

The consumer will speak

I am of the "however idiotic" belief that most people/companies that will shell out $600 for what promises to be an effective communications tool will be "freaking" pissed when the product isn't delivered.

All academics aside, this is something that WILL be followed through to the end... whatever the "end" is. LOL

Tundy.
    A snowflake does not make a snowstorm.

A snowflake starts a snowstorm

c
  11.    #31  
    Jesus! who has time for spending hours on line tweaking hardware, get a life.

Mass murderer & terrorist analogies... you idiots are so far off the mark.
    There ARE NO THREATS that you speak of...
    It's a GD petition for a better product for Christ's sake.

treo650update.com may have zero impact.

One can only try.

Those that don't get what they deserve.

Tweaking hell, I suppose.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Snipers are in place and lawyers have been called. You are so gonna be sued or shot. LOL. Anyway, I personally don't have any serious problems with my Treo yet but I'm interested on how your campaign will go.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
  13.    #33  
    LOL ... oh God. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by controller
    A snowflake does not make a snowstorm.

A snowflake starts a snowstorm

c

Your own quote or someone elses? I like it
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Calling everyone " idiots" means you are insulting even those potential people who are considering supporting your cause. You say, " Get a life. " Come on tundy, with the amount of time you spent so far venting, you could have read a past forum, learned something, and possibly fixed one of your Treos problems....that is if you spent your " 20 minutes " of free time considering making your Treo better. And don't get mad as you got your props and the warning of potential flaming brought about from your original post.
    "Jesus! who has time for spending hours on line tweaking hardware, get a life."

Totally agree with that statement. This $600 device is supposed to make like better, that's what palmOne claimed and I am sure that's the reason why most of us bought it. Nobody should be forced to spend so much time just to make this thing work as it should.

For those of you who say, take it back, nobody is forcing you to buy/keep it, this is my situation; I bought the Treo 650 a couple of months back, did not install anything other than Filez and the apps shipped with the Treo. It was fine until a couple of days back, had very few resets. All of a sudden it starts resetting for no reason. It happened five times yesterday. So, what do I do now? Certainly can't take it back, Sprint won't exchange it just because it resets a few times a day. I am pretty disappointed now.
    Jesus! who has time for spending hours on line tweaking hardware, get a life.

Mass murderer & terrorist analogies... you idiots are so far off the mark.
    There ARE NO THREATS that you speak of...
    It's a GD petition for a better product for Christ's sake.

treo650update.com may have zero impact.

One can only try.

Those that don't get what they deserve.

Tweaking hell, I suppose.
    You seem like such a likeable person, too.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Hey sunilseru, sorry to hear about your devices problems, but now is the time to " get to know " your device. Please read what past forums have discussed about random resets and such. Your device issue could be something as simple as a corrupted file in your versa mail or your docs to go, that enable local time problem, or a corrupted hot sync conduit. Who knows ? Which Treo are you using, the Sprint, Cingular, or an unlocked Palm unit ? It appears that the different ones have their own unique problems, which many have been resolved. Since you stated you have not installed many apps, your solution to fixing the reset problem could be very easy. Find out the problem and then repost with hopefully a positive outcome. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    And by the way, let's hear what Tiffany has to say about this particular forum. Are you there ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2
    Hey sunilseru, sorry to hear about your devices problems, but now is the time to " get to know " your device. Please read what past forums have discussed about random resets and such. Your device issue could be something as simple as a corrupted file in your versa mail or your docs to go, that enable local time problem, or a corrupted hot sync conduit. Who knows ? Which Treo are you using, the Sprint, Cingular, or an unlocked Palm unit ? It appears that the different ones have their own unique problems, which many have been resolved. Since you stated you have not installed many apps, your solution to fixing the reset problem could be very easy. Find out the problem and then repost with hopefully a positive outcome. Thanks.
    ehosey2, I will try out that db scanning stuff, but I am not sure if that will fix my problem. Most of the time ##377# says that the reset was caused while running the Phone application. I am assuming that Phone will be using a different database from the one Versamail uses. Will try out some of the stuff and post the results. If nothing works, I will try a hard reset
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast