1.    #1  
    Hey all first time poster. Have any of you used PlanPlus from FranklinCovey? Its an Outlook add on for the desktop and also for Palm/PPC that adds all the planning functionalities of the "Seven Habits" system to your outlook.

Apparently version 2.0 was pretty clunky, but now they have version 3.0 out. Anyone have any experience? They have a 30 day free trial.
    I've been using PlanPlus 2.0. I haven't tried the 3.0 yet. I haven't heard any feedback as to whether it is worth the extra $$. I have yet to see it on the "PALMONE TREO 650 SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST " though... Sure would like to some other feedback on the PlanPlus.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    PlanPlus...I used to work for FranklinCovey and I am a fan of PlanPlus. Your better off sticking with 2.0, they didn't fix any of the problems from 2.0 in 3.0 that affect the Treo. There is a small problem in typing a task in on the task list. You have to go to: new/details to type a task.

I installed 2.0 about a year ago and it was worked fantastically, I use it on two computers actually.

I installed 3.0 and my sync time was about 15 minutes. I called tech support and they said it was because I had to many tasks. TO MANY TASKS! So after 4 or 5 reinstalls and corrupted mailbox later I reinstalled 2.0 and it works great. The only feature they really added was a Group Task list so you could better plan projects for you teams at work. But FranklinCovey nuts will pay $100 every year for a new box. Stick with 2.0 for now or get the 3.0 trail version, if you don't like it just reinstall 2.0

BenJoe
    I've been using v.3 for several months now; I've never used v.2. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not a "power user" of the software, though. I use plan plus soley for its task lists and Home view in order to use Michael Linenberger's recommendations for organizing work on my Tablet PC. So, perhaps I don't "push" it enough to experience problems. No sync issues w/ my Treo 650 or Tungsten C.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback all. I think I'll give v.3 a trial. People were saying on Cnet that the had to deinstall/reinstall a number of times. Sounds like you all have not seen that.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Robangel,

CNet is right, I did have that problem. Deinstall any previous version if you have not already. That is the main problem, people installing over the old versions

GOod Luck
  7.    #7  
    Thanks again re-read andd didn't mean to sound like I was discounting your reinstall experiences. Giving 3.0 a try tonight.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Just to clarify - PlanPlus (and all Outlook add-ins) add special fields and macros to Outlook. Any data stored in those special fields will not be transfered to your Treo, nor will you be able to access those fields from any app installed on your Treo. The standard Treo apps use the standard Palm databases, which are left over from the days when Palm devices had only 4MB of memory, and so are quite small and not expandable. Some apps - BeyondContact, KeySuite - bypass the standard Palm apps and use their own databases, but neigther can be configured to sync data from special fields.

Sorry if this is bad news.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Well I disagree with Jg since I use PlanPlus and the "special" fields do sync over no problem.

IE PlanPlus Task List's are prioritized as A1 B2 C3
    Outlooks are 1 2 3

This sync over perfectly! FranklinCovey designed this software with microsoft to make sure it would sync over.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Yeah, sorry - I don't have any personal experience with PlanPlus specifically, although I have experimented with other Outlook addins. It sounds like PlanPlus puts data into standard Outlook fields, which would sync to the Palm. But any new fields created by the add-on would not sync. For instance, the Getting-Things-Done add-on creates Outlook fields called "Project" and "Next Action" - data in there does not get to the Palm.
    Franklin Covey includes a Palm OS application called "Task List" that syncs their ABC 123 system to the palm. You would use their "Task List" instead of the Todo application to manage your tasks.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Right, any extra fields created then sync to a new program. For example, the PlanPlus Outlook add on allows me to say if a task is: In Process, Delegated, Forwarded, or Completed. These are all shown with symbols. Then when I sync they come over perfectly to the Task List module from PlanPlus

BenJoe
    Thanks for the tip on how to add a task on Franklin Covey's Task List in the Treo 650 by typing "New" then "Details." The bug was driving me crazy until now.

It appears from some of the other postings that I am right to steer clear of future Franklin Covey software products. I tried the PlanPlus 2.0 upgrade; it was a disaster and I reverted to 1.5, which worked acceptably well. Willing to be wooed by a competing time/task management product, though.