Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figured I'd start a threaD about those of us who have escaped alternate phone hardware to come over to Treo. As a huge devote of Windows, My 2nd PDA phone was the Motorola MPX200 in which case I witnessed what happens when an already crash prone microsoft rushes a product to the market. To think Gates though Palm would just disappear. The MPX was a snazzy idea but it was WROUGHT with bugs and for a phone with 32 ram and 200mhz processor, it ran as if it were powered by a hamster in a wheel.

I have been immensely impressed with the treo600 and its ease in swapping between programs, as well as an incredible (foir mobiles) data retrieval rate while on net.

So my question to all is what crap did you leave behind to come to the treo 600

regards

WirelessNYC
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I left my clie' & ipod behind and generally the laptop depends on length of trip. I like only having one device & charger, yea internet is slow but when your waiting around it sure kills the time.
    I left behind a Treo 300 (for which I left a Treo 180). And since then I've left the 600 for the 650 (see a pattern?).
    I left behind my Treo 180/270/ (and will leave the 600 once my 650 comes!). I no longer need my MP3 player and a phone headset (Got a sedio two in one), i also don't bring my protable harddrive as many places b/c i have cardexport2 (though I am bringing my treo retractable sync cable almost everywhere.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Well...for me, I left behind my Nokia 8210 and m505 PDA and went for the Treo...

Although I can live without it, I am truely pampered by my Treo 600's convinient features (Chat-like sms, ease of use, speedy) . I have not yet seen another phone do it as well as Treo...

I have learnt that hardware features is not everything...
    RIM 950 interactive pager + Cassiopia PocketPC + SonyEricsson T300 phone. Not sure it would have worked out w/out Chatter email. The IMMEDIATE PUSH allowed me to retire the RIM 950, and consolidate all 3 devices into one that does so much more than the original 3 did.
    I have owned all of the devices below, switching devices almost every 4-8 months. I switched to the Treo 600 in December of 2003 and have not looked back. It is the only device I have owned for almost a year and a half without upgrading or looking for the next big thing. The thing simply works. My only gripe is that I can't have multiple addresses stored for each contact in the native PIM databases. Other than that I am golden.

I was a big 2 piece proponent but got tired of forgetting and leaving either the PDA or phone at home. Nowo when I leave I grab the Treo 600 and my wallet and have everything I will ever need with me.

Current: Treo 600

The Past: HP 48SX, HP 48GX, HP 200LX 1MB, HP 200LX 2MB, Apple Newton 120, Apple MessagePad 2100, Palm Pilot Personal, Philips Velo 1, HP 620LX, HP 660LX, HP Jornada 680, Franklin REX, HP Jornada 690, Sharp TriPad, Clio-1050, IBM z50, Compaq Aero 2130, Casio E-115, Casio E-125, Handspring Visor Prism, HP Jornada 568, Toshiba e740, iPAQs 3650, 3670, 3850, 3870, 3955, 5450, 128 MB iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 5555 with SonyEricsson T68
    Last edited by TMAN2004; 03/03/2005 at 03:26 PM.
    I left a Nokia 3650 + Sony Clie TH55 WiFi PDA + Color Sidekick/email-web for the Treo 600. Actually, I first picked up a Blackberry 7100t, which lasted less than a week. As an old BB user (950 +957), I couldn't believe how user-unfriendly the thing was, requiring multiple taps for darn near everything. Not to mention the keyboard from Hades. When I took it back, the 600 was situated right next to the BB display model. I had avoided the Treo 600 due to the screen, as the Th55 had spoiled me to the max. But I was desperate to stop carrying not only the 3 devices, but all the stuff that goes with them-- chargers, etc. Hey, once I pulled out the Treo and started using it, there was no turning back.

Funny true story. I just moved from CT to NC, where Tmo has no towers. Because I've maintained a national plan for years with Tmo, I can piggyback on Cingular's signal, without roaming or excess fees. And, since Tmo has no towers, they can't hold me to the contract, which means I can jump ship when I please without financial penalty. I thought I'd jump for the Treo 650, but after studying these forums, I've decided to hang on to my baby.

In short, I've got the best of all worlds-- Cingular's coverage at Tmo prices, and contract-free. I'll wait til the 650 growing pains have been resolved. Meanwhile, I'm a happy camper, to say the least.
  9.    #9  
    TREO-RENEGADE

i thinbk thats wise. Although the 650 is probably the best thing out there now (bluetooth, slightly improved picture quality, but great improvements to the camera function, EDGE capability), i find it is always wise to let a new phone be "guinea-pigged" on someone OTHER than me. For instance, the new motorola MPX220 was found to have software issues for cingular users which resulted in a need to to do a modified recall and patch the phone, and then make sure all stores patched the phones they hadnt sold. Besides, as a graduate student, the 650's heavy price tag (and well deserved) is a bit much. Someday i may decide to break down and try out this new EDGE 100kilobit internet for wireless phones but not right now. Thats so ridiculous when you think about it, your cell phone on edge is faster than DSL lol
    wirelessNYC
    I traded up from a Nokia 3650, which was excellent as a phone but was really limiting if I wanted to do anything else. The main draw of the Treo 600 was the full keyboard, but now that I have it I love everything about it, especially the Palm OS. I really hope PalmOne and Palm Source keep the development up to pace on the Palm OS because I think it benefits from years of experience (and learning from mistakes, unlike MS and their interfaces).
    See my sig. A converged Palm OS device was what I wanted all along since my Palm III days but didn't want another piece of hardware to attach. When the Kyocera 6035 came along, it was like a wish come true. The rest is history.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Treo 300
    Prism
    Visor Deluxe
    Palm Pilot Pro
    Franklin Planner Binder
    Day Timer Binder
    Scan Card Binder
    Scratch pad.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Palm m100
    Nokia 8290 ----> Sony Ericcson T616
    Unfortunately, I consolidate to the Treo 600 - and then my Navy billet REQUIRES a Blackberry platform with NSA-approved security implementation/algorithms.
    So now:
    Wallet, service firearm, ID, Leatherman, Treo 600, RIM 957 (this has a color screen, though, and same firmware/modern features of 7290, DoD contract).
    I was mad...I just cut down, I even proposed Chatter..but they say it is too insecure for the .mil accounts.
    *yells expletive, slaps forehead*
    Angry sidekick user checking in! I was asking around this site when the t600 first came out, but decided to stay with the sidekick. Well, now it's the final straw. Besides the closed money-grabbing os, and the ringtone selection that only caters to gansta wannabees... all 40k sidekick users have been without data service for 4 days now!!
    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-246611c.html

From what we gather, it isn't Tmobile's fault. Danger, the company the runs the proxie and backend server sync, has had some sort of a mojor problem. So yeah, the sidekick2 has just sealed it's own fate. I'll probably be the first of many sidekick users to join the treo ranks. (Looking for a good price on a 600 as we speak)
    ......... )oe ............
    Black&White Sidekick,
    Color Sidekick,
    Sidekick 2,
    *Treo 600* AND NEVER LOOKED BACK!!
    Quote Originally Posted by firemothjoe
    Angry sidekick user checking in! I was asking around this site when the t600 first came out, but decided to stay with the sidekick. Well, now it's the final straw. Besides the closed money-grabbing os, and the ringtone selection that only caters to gansta wannabees... all 40k sidekick users have been without data service for 4 days now!!
    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-246611c.html

From what we gather, it isn't Tmobile's fault. Danger, the company the runs the proxie and backend server sync, has had some sort of a mojor problem. So yeah, the sidekick2 has just sealed it's own fate. I'll probably be the first of many sidekick users to join the treo ranks. (Looking for a good price on a 600 as we speak)
    The first Treo 600 was Sprint's in Oct 2003. It was right around the time that Handspring and palmOne were merging. Mine has the Handspring logo.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Day 3 since I gave my sidekick 2 to my girlfriend purchased my t600. I still miss the sidekicks browser and keyboard, but the endless freeware apps (and the ones you pay for) as well as local sync is a dream come true for me! I'll probably upgrade to the t650 once tmo carries it.
    Last edited by firemothjoe; 03/13/2005 at 10:59 PM.
    ......... )oe ............
    Black&White Sidekick,
    Color Sidekick,
    Sidekick 2,
    *Treo 600* AND NEVER LOOKED BACK!!
    After 20 years of being a die-hard PC and then Pocket PC user, I have first switched my home PC over to a Mac, and then to have something that would be compatible with both my Mac and my PC at work, I bought a Treo 600. The current T-Mo price for me to upgrade to it wasn't much more than a decent phone, so I figured even if I just used it for a phone it would be OK.

I've used Palm devices before (Sony UX-50) and ended up switching back to Pocket PC. However, the Treo is so well done that after no more than 2 weeks I passed my iPaq over to another person in my office and the Treo is now my only PDA and phone.

I guess I am most impressed with how well the phone and PDA apps work together. I love being able to screen my email when it comes in, and either reply to it immediately or at least start working on a reply in my head for when I get to my office. When I am on the road my office emails my messages to me and I can make calls just by touching the link in the email.

The keyboard is pretty good, I am amazed my giant fingers can type on it so well.

I just started using Shoutcast on it and am amazed at the quality of the reception, just a little bummed that it cuts out incoming calls as that stops me from using it as much as I might when travelling.

One dislike is the multitude of conduits that it seems to take for me to get all my documents, etc on the device and syncronized. Maybe it is just my unfamiliarity with the Palm system, but I did like how Pocket PC let me keep all my sync documents in one folder and they updated everytime I synced with the PC.

BTW, I also have used the Ipaq 6315 from T-Mo for a total of maybe 2 months. Had 4 different units during that time and all 4 had something wrong with them. Finally gave up on that one. Glad I did, the Treo is a MUCH better implementation of a converged phone/PDA.
    Hey Mike - what did you do to enable Shoutcast? I tried it on my 600 and got a message that says something like "not supported on this device". What's the secret? Thanks!

Andrew
    Started with Palm->PALM III->pALM III cOLOR-sHARP->tAURUS->HPhandheld-> Velo->cellphones from audiovox,nextel, motorola, samsung, nokia and sieman. Switched from Palm OS back to Jornado 545, Toshiba e400, now settled on Palm 600 and very satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC
    Hey Mike - what did you do to enable Shoutcast? I tried it on my 600 and got a message that says something like "not supported on this device". What's the secret? Thanks!

Andrew
    Do you have Pocket Tunes Deluxe installed? You will need this to stream any content from Shoutcast.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast