1.    #1  
    I am a former Pocket PC user who is migrating to the Treo 650 for its dual use as a phone and a PDA. However, I am used to being able to write directly on the screen and have my handwriting converted into text. Can someone recommend a good program that can do this on the Treo 650? Thanks!

- marc
  2. tux
    i use graffiti anywhere seem ok and its free
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am using TealScript (http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...TreoSoftware02) and it works great!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tux
    i use graffiti anywhere seem ok and its free

I just downloaded this onto my treo and tried it, I cant seem to get some letters to appear. Is there a manual or some reference chart on how to write the letters and numbers in order for this app to read it? I tried to old grafiti alphabet, and it worked on most, but not all letters!
    Grafitti Anywhere uses the built in Grafitti2 library on the Treo. If you want to use the "old" Grafitti strokes (G1), you will need TealScript. You used to be able to copy the G1 libraries onto newer Palms, but it won't work on the Treo.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1129
    I just downloaded this onto my treo and tried it, I cant seem to get some letters to appear. Is there a manual or some reference chart on how to write the letters and numbers in order for this app to read it? I tried to old grafiti alphabet, and it worked on most, but not all letters!
    The GraffitiAnywhere web site (and maybe some materials that come in the download, I don't remember) show you the keystrokes for Graffiti2

Here's a basic chart: http://www.brighthand.com/images/Pal...raffiti2_1.jpg
  7.    #7  
    Thank you for the replies. I have two additional questions. Coming from Pocket PC, the program that I was able to use on there was called Microsoft Transcriber, and among other things, it would allow me to write on the screen and then there would be a 2 or 3 second delay before it translated what I wrote into text in whatever the active program was. This would allow me to write whole sentences or groups of words before the translation occurred, which was a very nice feature. Is there anything similar to this or that offers this sort of functionality for the Palm OS on the Treo 650?

Also, there were several programs on the Pocket PC that would allow me to write directly on the screen and then that handwriting would just be saved as is, without any translation. This was especially useful if I was in a hurry and needed to jot something down, but didn't want to wait to see if it translated correctly, but would rather just have it saved in the native format of my handwriting. Is there anything comparable to this or that offers this functionality for the Palm OS on the Treo 650?

Thanks again for all the help and info!

- marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman
    Also, there were several programs on the Pocket PC that would allow me to write directly on the screen and then that handwriting would just be saved as is, without any translation. This was especially useful if I was in a hurry and needed to jot something down, but didn't want to wait to see if it translated correctly, but would rather just have it saved in the native format of my handwriting. Is there anything comparable to this or that offers this functionality for the Palm OS on the Treo 650?

Thanks again for all the help and info!

- marc

There are a few PalmOS HWR apps sorta lke transcriber including:

Decuma
    Myscript
    RiteMail

However I'm not sure if Decuma (which is probably the best product) is compatible yet with the 650...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I personally really like Decuma. I used it on my T3 and T5 quite extensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Decuma
    Myscript
    RiteMail

However I'm not sure if Decuma (which is probably the best product) is compatible yet with the 650...
    ya i tried decuma and it just rebooted my 650 everytime i clicked on it
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Decuma
    Myscript
    RiteMail

I have a Treo 600 and have installed MyScript..I like it...it works pretty good.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I am using Tealscript on my Treo 650 (Ver 3.66). The tricky part is that "tapping" requires that you linger just a smidge longer to register. Has anyone using Tealscript come up with better sensitivity settings that they'd like to share with the rest of us?

Thanks!
    Hey another HWR app I totally forgot about is MobileWrite!

http://inkmarksoftware.com//images/howdy.gif

http://www.inkmarksoftware.com/page2.html

Also, according to the description:

reo 650 GSM is supported, Treo 650 CDMA is currently NOT supported.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I use Jot for graffiti on a T600 - works great (dunno about a 650). For saving native handwrting, try BugMe
    I tried Graffiti Anywhere on my 650, but it caused a noticible loss of stability. Yesterday, I deleted it and installed the trial version of Tealscript. I have the same problem that Chankla mentioned above. When Tealscript is not active I sometimes have to linger on a button in order to get registration. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by SamInBoulder
    I tried Graffiti Anywhere on my 650, but it caused a noticible loss of stability. Yesterday, I deleted it and installed the trial version of Tealscript. I have the same problem that Chankla mentioned above. When Tealscript is not active I sometimes have to linger on a button in order to get registration. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
    You have to change the settings of recognition to suit your taste. Click on the TealScript app, click Preferences, and on Write Anywhere. On the bottom of the screen you have parameters for the time the stylus is in contact with the screen and for how large an area. I am using .12 secs within 2 pixels, and starting 1.4 seconds after the last stroke. Play with those until you get a setting you like.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    You have to change the settings of recognition to suit your taste. Click on the TealScript app, click Preferences, and on Write Anywhere. On the bottom of the screen you have parameters for the time the stylus is in contact with the screen and for how large an area. I am using .12 secs within 2 pixels, and starting 1.4 seconds after the last stroke. Play with those until you get a setting you like.
    Thanks for the advice, I changed to .06 secs within 2 pixels starting 1.4 seconds after the last stroke and got the performance that I was looking for. I also understand a little better what Is going on.