1.    #1  
    Is verizon the only provider that you can roam on with the 650 if sprint is your provider? I know it only has digital roam.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    No, it can roam on any CDMA provider for which Sprint has a roaming agreement. (there are quite a few)

Sprint's website does have a digital roaming map, although it's not terribly detailed.
    I know that you can also raom on alltell and western wireless, and probably tons of other mom&pop cellular carriers that use CDMA.
  4.    #4  
    in the sprint fine print it states that the roaming-included plans are not available with digital mode only phones. i assume this isn't true from reading other peoples posts, but i'm a little concerned before i buy.
    You may have to pay $5 per month for roaming (up to 50% of you airtime can be used off network). The new sprint plans include this without paying an extra 5 bucks but they say only for dual band tri mode phones, which the 650 is not (no analog).

You will not get the rural coverage with a 650 that a tri-mod phone will get you because there is no digital coverage in many areas that are still served by analog.

Additionally there was a firmware issue with digital roaming and sprint 650's but a patch was released by palm to address this. (Yes they acutally let this one hit the streets!).

I live in So Cal and analog roaming is not an issue here, and roaming in general is the least of problems that a 650 has. Although I like mine, it has many annoying issues, the primary one being that the call quality is significantly worse than my Sanyo 5500 was. It is usable usually (but also often not) but a deffinate step backwords from the sanyo as a phone. Choppy audio for people receiving calls is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdieter
    in the sprint fine print it states that the roaming-included plans are not available with digital mode only phones. i assume this isn't true from reading other peoples posts, but i'm a little concerned before i buy.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmdieter
    That's got to be a mistake. Roaming is roaming - it doesn't matter whether it's analog or digital. If anything, Sprint would prefer that you roam on digital as it's cheaper.